Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• naplesE30
    replied
    Just ordered a geissele SSA-E for the pony gun for $156 from PSA. Looking forward to slapping it in and running it through its paces. That’s my only holiday gun purchase this year. Between this and my gray guns trigger in the sig I fear I may be headed down the path of trigger snobbery.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob View Post
    Yup, Baltimore County bought the FNS40L in ~2014, had a couple of issues that have become known. Rumor is they are picking up Gen5 Glock 17s now.

Baltimore *City* PD still uses the G22 FWIW.

Yea Omaha PD uses glock’s too. I think they use 19’s. I’ve always wondered what they use for long guns here.

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied
    Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post

Baltimore PD got rid of the FNs quickly.
    Yup, Baltimore County bought the FNS40L in ~2014, had a couple of issues that have become known. Rumor is they are picking up Gen5 Glock 17s now.

Baltimore *City* PD still uses the G22 FWIW.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
    From what I see, the problem (if you can call it that) with FN is they are focused on military, LEO sales of rifles and more recently pistols. It’s my opinion that civilian firearms come secondary and are just the low hanging fruit that they will pick up because it’s out there, but not the core of there business.

Glad you like your 509 and the cycling problem seem to be smoothed out for you!

Thats pretty much it. Those LEO/Military contracts are whats gonna pay the bills and make them the big bucks. Like you said civilian is just the low hanging fruit to bring in some extra cash. Seems the only thing they change on the firearms are legalizing them like full auto semi auto,The rest stays. Makes sense though. Makes it much more cost effective.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
    From what I see, the problem (if you can call it that) with FN is they are focused on military, LEO sales of rifles and more recently pistols. It’s my opinion that civilian firearms come secondary and are just the low hanging fruit that they will pick up because it’s out there, but not the core of there business.

Thats pretty much it. Those LEO/Military contracts are whats gonna pay the bills and make them the big bucks. Like you said civilian is just the low hanging fruit to bring in some extra cash. Seems the only thing they change on the firearms are legalizing them like full auto semi auto,The rest stays. Makes sense though. Makes it much more cost effective.

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob View Post
    So all that being said, how does it shoot?

After dust settled with the initial break in period being resolved. Its one of my favorite guns and I wont be getting rid of it anytime soon. I actually ordered a Leupold DPP for it to take advantage of the optics system.

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
    FN is a bit of a disappointment.

Baltimore PD got rid of the FNs quickly. There are many police turn-ins and there were never many PDs to make the jump from their Glocks or S&W.

I do love the PS90.

Yea my PS90 is blast to shoot. Unless you have deep pockets its more of a gun you take out 2-3 times a year. With 50 round mags one box of ammo goes into a mag and they are 29.99 a box and its stupid easy to burn up a mag with the minimal amount of recoil and effort it takes to shoot it.

I still love FN’s and will be getting more down the road, but not for a while as they are on the pricey side of the firearm market.

Leave a comment:

• TimeMachinE30
    replied
    FN is a bit of a disappointment.

Baltimore PD got rid of the FNs quickly. There are many police turn-ins and there were never many PDs to make the jump from their Glocks or S&W.

I do love the PS90.

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied
    So all that being said, how does it shoot?

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
    Wow, that’s a weak spring. Wonder how many rounds they last

Well I’ve seen people with 5k+ rounds through them and haven’t had to replace them.

Leave a comment:

• eternal24k
    replied
    Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
    200 rounds through it today with not a single issue. Locking the slide back all week helped too. So lesson learned when buying an FN pistol lock the slide back for a week and use 124gr if buying 9mm

Wow, that’s a weak spring. Wonder how many rounds they last

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    200 rounds through it today with not a single issue. Locking the slide back all week helped too. So lesson learned when buying an FN pistol lock the slide back for a week and use 124gr if buying 9mm

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
    Thing is, it's a lack of foresight on FNs part. They designed the FNP45 to replace the M9, so they sized the magazines to mil spec cartridge length.

Then in the civilian world, the magazines would hang up on all the cheaper ammo. Instead of recalling it, they released the FNX with longer magazines and added a fully supported chamber.

Saying that this gun doesn't work because you aren't using military or law enforcement loads just tells me they haven't learned their lesson.

This true but I’ve also noticed alot more people switching to the hotter loads in general so maybe they are trying to be preemptive but laking in making sure customers are aware. If they were to of made the spring softer for the 115gr they would wear out quickly for the hotter 124’s. Seems like they made the spring stiffer for the hotter loads and then after the break in periods its at were it needs to be for the 124 and can use the 115. Either way it sucks they say nothing about this in the manual and it wouldn’t be so bad if they had. But whats done is done I will break er in and then enjoy my pistol.

Leave a comment:

• Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    Thing is, it's a lack of foresight on FNs part. They designed the FNP45 to replace the M9, so they sized the magazines to mil spec cartridge length.

Then in the civilian world, the magazines would hang up on all the cheaper ammo. Instead of recalling it, they released the FNX with longer magazines and added a fully supported chamber.

Saying that this gun doesn't work because you aren't using military or law enforcement loads just tells me they haven't learned their lesson.

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied
    I'm going to jump on the "that's lame" bandwagon. No modern service pistol should require a break in IMHO. Something high end that's extensively hand fit? Maybe...although if I dropped $5k on a custom 1911, it better F'ing work. But the 509 is a 9mm service sized pistol. Nothing magical there, so it should work out of the box.

To expand, I totally understand its difficult to engineer something to cover all bases, without knowing exactly what people will feed it ($200/case shit bulk ammo to $1.50/round hot stuff), but it seems like every other manufacturer has figured it out. I would think that FN, with their reputation and status as a huge .mil supplier would be the same.

Is it a big deal? Nah, not really. But these things are relatively simple machines, so they should be able to run out of the box.
    Last edited by Rob; 11-30-2018, 05:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X