X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
    Your a better man than I. I don’t think I would tolerate that sort of failure rate from a $450 pistol, or even a highpoint. I wouldn’t be a dick to whoever I deal with, but would let them know it’s performance is not tolerable. Guns are not toys. Malfunctions are dangerous wether in a life or death situation or just plinking. It increases the chance of an accident. That is why I buy brands like FN, HK, Sig, as I am sure why you chose FN. We as consumers pay more for the quality to avoid the exact issues your having. I have several pistols that have never had an issue period, with 115, 124, and 147gr loads. I hope it clears up for you and functions flawlessly from now on, but I would def express your disappointment to them. I look at it as my firearm is not reliable in a worst case situation, not a unpleasant experience at the range.

No firearm, especially a duty style gun, should ship knowingly being unreliable in any situation. FN needs to correct this not just for you, but for their own reputation. If this is a one off deal with them I would totally give them a pass, it’s a machine and sometimes things like that happen. But since it appears they know of the issue, and chose to not modify the spring,to save $$$, and ship out malfunctioning guns to consumers is a big no no in my opinion.

I think it comes from my line or work. Anything that can go wrong usually does so any more I shrug it off and proceed. I do hope they fix this issue whether it be a recall or change the spring for future guns. This weekend I’m going to try and put at-least 200 more rounds through it if i can get the ability to get to the range. If it has any issues. I will call them and tell them i want it fixed. This was going to be my carry weapon but until i get at least 1000 flawless rounds I’ll continue to use my ruger lc380 which has never let me down. I have not lost trust in the weapon as I’ve never built trust with it. But i will make sure its flawless before risking putting it in a life or death situation

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    Your a better man than I. I don’t think I would tolerate that sort of failure rate from a $450 pistol, or even a highpoint. I wouldn’t be a dick to whoever I deal with, but would let them know it’s performance is not tolerable. Guns are not toys. Malfunctions are dangerous wether in a life or death situation or just plinking. It increases the chance of an accident. That is why I buy brands like FN, HK, Sig, as I am sure why you chose FN. We as consumers pay more for the quality to avoid the exact issues your having. I have several pistols that have never had an issue period, with 115, 124, and 147gr loads. I hope it clears up for you and functions flawlessly from now on, but I would def express your disappointment to them. I look at it as my firearm is not reliable in a worst case situation, not a unpleasant experience at the range.

No firearm, especially a duty style gun, should ship knowingly being unreliable in any situation. FN needs to correct this not just for you, but for their own reputation. If this is a one off deal with them I would totally give them a pass, it’s a machine and sometimes things like that happen. But since it appears they know of the issue, and chose to not modify the spring,to save $$$, and ship out malfunctioning guns to consumers is a big no no in my opinion.
    Last edited by naplesE30; 11-27-2018, 01:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
    Honestly, I think you are giving them too much of the benefit of doubt. I would not take a 6% failure rate, but that is just me. Storing with the slide back will have negligible impact unless they use absolute junk springs, cycling has a far greater impact on wearing a spring.

Also wondering what the 3 failures with the yellow spring were. First you mentioned FTEs, then FTF with silver spring.

Im just basing off what I was told. The guy said if it absolutely wont shoot the AE then to send it in. The 3 failures with the yellow spring were Failure to feed and eject. Iirc 2 of them were Failure to feed but the slide cycled back and when going forward the new round got jammed against the feed ramp and slide. I got it to duplicate it with snap caps and it was happening when the slide wasn’t going far enough back and then coming forward which would be from a stiff spring. The last one was an Failure to eject the spent casing got caught between the barrel and the slide as it was coming out. These recoil springs are very stiff and guys on the 509 forum said they stored with slide back and had some success but yes using it is gonna be more effective you just wanna get the spring to its full elasticity to help soften it.

As for giving them too much benefit of doubt. I think thats just how I am. I always give people the benefit until Im proven wrong. I’m a relaxed guy and don’t let things like this get to me i just take it and move on. I didn’t even get a bit of anger when it happened. Just said darn time to find the issue and fix.

Leave a comment:

• eternal24k
    replied
    Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
    I got some 124gr american eagle, winchester and 124gr winchester +p shot 50 rounds. Put 3 rounds through silver spring. Had feed issue 2/3 rounds went back to yellow spring and only had 3 issues out of 47 remaining rounds. Leave gun with slide back and silver spring in to soften it some for a few days. Id say my issue is fixed. I think the reason behind it is cause the gun was designed for military use and military grade ammo. Us civilians use cheaper stuff. Thus the issue and reason to using higher power 124gr rounds.

Honestly, I think you are giving them too much of the benefit of doubt. I would not take a 6% failure rate, but that is just me. Storing with the slide back will have negligible impact unless they use absolute junk springs, cycling has a far greater impact on wearing a spring.

Also wondering what the 3 failures with the yellow spring were. First you mentioned FTEs, then FTF with silver spring.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
    Kind of let down by FN on this. They are local to me so I want to love their guns!

Had feed issues with my old FNP 45, but I absolutely loved it aside from the fact that I couldn't rely on it. Then they killed the FNP and released the FNX that addressed those issues specifically, but they left us FNP guys hanging and never acknowledged that it was a design flaw.

Now, they are shipping guns out that don't work out of the box? Kind of bugs me. These are duty weapons, not Kimber beauty pieces.

Even my Colt New Agent worked out of the box and hasn't had a single issue.

Keep us updated please.

I got some 124gr american eagle, winchester and 124gr winchester +p shot 50 rounds. Put 3 rounds through silver spring. Had feed issue 2/3 rounds went back to yellow spring and only had 3 issues out of 47 remaining rounds. Leave gun with slide back and silver spring in to soften it some for a few days. Id say my issue is fixed. I think the reason behind it is cause the gun was designed for military use and military grade ammo. Us civilians use cheaper stuff. Thus the issue and reason to using higher power 124gr rounds.

Leave a comment:

• Exodus_2pt0
    replied
    Kind of let down by FN on this. They are local to me so I want to love their guns!

Had feed issues with my old FNP 45, but I absolutely loved it aside from the fact that I couldn't rely on it. Then they killed the FNP and released the FNX that addressed those issues specifically, but they left us FNP guys hanging and never acknowledged that it was a design flaw.

Now, they are shipping guns out that don't work out of the box? Kind of bugs me. These are duty weapons, not Kimber beauty pieces.

Even my Colt New Agent worked out of the box and hasn't had a single issue.

Keep us updated please.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    That’s an assbackwards philosophy to me. In order to make something work longer, we will ship it with a part which doesn’t work flawlessly initially. I’m sure it will run well once “broken in” but that seems like it would lead to an unnecessary amount of calls being fielded by their customer service department. It should at the least be put in the owners manual in red font.

100% agree on all statements. The owners manuals states nothing of it. Just the typical CYA statement on reloads

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    That’s an assbackwards philosophy to me. In order to make something work longer, we will ship it with a part which doesn’t work flawlessly initially. I’m sure it will run well once “broken in” but that seems like it would lead to an unnecessary amount of calls being fielded by their customer service department. It should at the least be put in the owners manual in red font.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Just got off the phone with FN. guy said before sending it in. If it wont shoot 124gr american eagle then i do have an issue. He said usually it takes anout 250 rounds to get everything jiving then they never hear back from us after that. If it doesnt shoot the 124 AE then its an issue cause they use AE for all of there test firing.

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    I thought the 509 shipped with two different springs? One for +p and suppressor use and one for standard rounds. I would def contact FN over that. No reason a reputable company like FN would not correct that issue.

It does ship with two springs. A silver and yellow. The silver says its suits most ammo except lighter ammo for suppressors or just lighter grain ammo. And them the yellow is for those ammo’s.

Honestly, I would call FN anyways, as you mentioned, things fall through the cracks, not sure what is going to drastically change so much with a little +P. Only other thing would be if the ammo was really weak PMC or you're limp wristing.

I once spent years chasing issues with a late 3rd gen Glock 17, spent a lot of my own money when i could have just sent it back for free

I tried calling just to confirm my theory. I guess the springs in the gun are heavier at first to prolong life so they weaken down the the desired weight. The +p ammo produces more pressure which so help soften the spring and be able to move the slide back far enough to grab the next round and eject the spent casing. It really seems like the issue is caused by not enough pressure to move the slide back. I had similar issue happen with my ruger and hotter ammo fixed it. Never had an issue since. I was using a bottom barrel ammo cause its just for target practice didn’t want to spend big bucks to put through paper. My boss said he had very similar issue with one of his mil spec pistols too. Hopefully FN clears this up. Just waiting to talk to someone

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    I thought the 509 shipped with two different springs? One for +p and suppressor use and one for standard rounds. I would def contact FN over that. No reason a reputable company like FN would not correct that issue.

Leave a comment:

• eternal24k
    replied
    Honestly, I would call FN anyways, as you mentioned, things fall through the cracks, not sure what is going to drastically change so much with a little +P. Only other thing would be if the ammo was really weak PMC or you're limp wristing.

I once spent years chasing issues with a late 3rd gen Glock 17, spent a lot of my own money when i could have just sent it back for free

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    That's actually a thing? I am shocked that a modern, mass produced, LE/Mil focused sidearm needs any break in.

I would contact FN, there's no reason that gun would require a +P break in. What was the ammo, steel case?

I used 2 different types on 115gr. Brass and aluminum casing. From talking to guys on the FN forums it sounds like its been this way for a while. The reason leo/mil dont have issues is they are using hot rounds in most cases. I will try these 124 +p nato rounds and if that doesn’t work. Call up FN and send it in. Sucks but o well not really mad about though. These things happens. No matter how good of a Manufacturer you are. You will still have somethings fail that fell through the cracks.

Leave a comment:

• eternal24k
    replied
    Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
    Was able to go shoot it yesterday. But it was not a good day. The owners manual fails to mention that the gun has a break in period where 124gr +p needs to be used or the gun wont cycle or it will stove pipe new and spent rounds. I was just using regular 115gr and only shot maybe 7 rounds before i just gave up. Going to stop and grab some 124gr +p after work tonight and leave the slide back for a few days hopefully this fixes things. I checked over it and cycled snap caps through it. Everything was functioning so i think its just needing a break in.

That's actually a thing? I am shocked that a modern, mass produced, LE/Mil focused sidearm needs any break in.

I would contact FN, there's no reason that gun would require a +P break in. What was the ammo, steel case?

Leave a comment:

• ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Was able to go shoot it yesterday. But it was not a good day. The owners manual fails to mention that the gun has a break in period where 124gr +p needs to be used or the gun wont cycle or it will stove pipe new and spent rounds. I was just using regular 115gr and only shot maybe 7 rounds before i just gave up. Going to stop and grab some 124gr +p after work tonight and leave the slide back for a few days hopefully this fixes things. I checked over it and cycled snap caps through it. Everything was functioning so i think its just needing a break in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X