X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• myinfernalbmw
    replied
    Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post

Post pictures of it when it comes in. Who did you go through, Classic?
    Will do.

Initially I did but a couple of hours after I placed the order I saw two guys post up rusted out pieces of shit they got from Classic. I cancelled my order and put in an order at DK instead which ended up being the same price for a hand selected gun. It was probably a waste of $20 for the hand select, but it was the same price out the door and it sounds like DK is shipping faster and vastly better examples.

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    Originally posted by myinfernalbmw View Post
    I just ordered up one of the surplus Beretta 81s that hit US shores in the last month. I take a lot of new shooters to the range and I guess these are one of the least intimidating things to shoot short of a.22lr. Based on how surplus guns go I know I'm going to regret not buying more of these to flip in a few years. I guess we'll see how this one looks when it gets here.
    Post pictures of it when it comes in. Who did you go through, Classic?

Leave a comment:

• myinfernalbmw
    replied
    I just ordered up one of the surplus Beretta 81s that hit US shores in the last month. I take a lot of new shooters to the range and I guess these are one of the least intimidating things to shoot short of a.22lr. Based on how surplus guns go I know I'm going to regret not buying more of these to flip in a few years. I guess we'll see how this one looks when it gets here.
    Last edited by myinfernalbmw; 08-27-2019, 05:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    I just learned that your cane toad and my bufo toad are the same thing

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    Yeah 450fps might not be enough unless you can consistently place shots very accurately, hard to do with a pellet pistol. I definitely can see where you're coming from with the pistol, I would like to take out some of the Bufos around here but my house is also in a development. The Iguanas are bad at my Mom's house and I've thought about picking up a cheap pellet rifle to take them out from the porch.
    450fps is honestly marginal for cane toads.Placement is a must for a humane kill, and I need to use the pointed pellets. I think for iguanas your gonna want to be 1100fps minimum, definitely would need to be supersonic. For an idea of power, my pistol is not strong enough to puncture the thicker plastic of a Gatorade bottle.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Yeah 450fps might not be enough unless you can consistently place shots very accurately, hard to do with a pellet pistol. I definitely can see where you're coming from with the pistol, I would like to take out some of the Bufos around here but my house is also in a development. The Iguanas are bad at my Mom's house and I've thought about picking up a cheap pellet rifle to take them out from the porch.
    Last edited by varg; 08-10-2019, 03:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    Most of them are about the size of a softball or smaller. The velocity of my pellet gun is 450fps. I wanted a handgun because I live in a development close to other homes. Much easier to walk around the house with handgun than rifle as far as causing a stir. Also the buffo toads let you basically put the muzzle almost up against them for shot placement. Like you said I would think a rifle would be a must for iguana plinking, both for accuracy and velocity.
    Last edited by naplesE30; 08-10-2019, 08:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    How big are your toads and what is the velocity of those pellets? Some of the Bufo toads around here are big suckers too. A pellet rifle would probably be better for iguanas but it's just like hunting anything else, shot placement is key.

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    Would probably work for Iguanas too if they let you get close enough.
    I don’t know man. I was on your coast earlier this week and saw a huge iguana on the golf course I was touring. That sucker had some beef to it. Thankfully they have not migrated across the state enough to be a big problem on the west coast yet.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Would probably work for Iguanas too if they let you get close enough.

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    Picked up a new frog gig for the cane toads around the house. Dispatched 5 of those little bastards last night with my son doing the flashlight work.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• myinfernalbmw
    replied
    Originally posted by Ryan... View Post
    All good advice, didn't even really consider the pistol grip/safety configuration..

I like the idea of low recoil/smaller weight rounds to get her used to it.
    Yeah that is the main reason I went with a Tac14 (870) vs the shockwave (500) as I knew I'd be adding a brace with a pistol grip. While you can train around the top mounted safety with a pistol grip, I don't see the reason to start yourself off at a disadvantage. Pistol grip only shotguns are unwieldy and really aren't a good option outside of a few niche roles.

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    keep us posted as to how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan...
    replied
    Originally posted by myinfernalbmw View Post
    To an extent, true. But if it's too huge and clunky to even handle she's more likely to miss entirely and/or hurt herself trying to shoot it awkwardly. I just went through this with my wife who is 5' 1.5" and we concluded that my AR was a lot easier for her to shoot than my shotgun. That said, with something that fit her better and with more practice, we could have made a shotgun work.

I'd go to a local gun store and have her hold an 18" Mossberg 500 just to see if it feels more comfortable for her. If she likes it, I'd find a replacement barrel or chop the current one down and have a gunsmith install a new bead sight. If the stock is still too long, you can find cheapo used 500 youth model stocks that have a shorter LOP. I'd avoid pistol grips on 500s as the top mounted safety makes mechanics clunky and they really don't make it easier to aim/shoot in general, especially for inexperienced shooters and with anything other than low brass loads.
    All good advice, didn't even really consider the pistol grip/safety configuration..

Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
    From what you describe I would have suggested a shockwave for her.. However you can just as easily shoot the 500 from your hip as well. No need for her to shoulder the gun based on your needs, sitting/standing static in a corner waiting for perp to break down the door. Work on the load/rack/fire/clear the gun properly and she should be fine. Have her practice with some 7/8oz number 8 birdshot to get her familiar with the firearm without scaring/beating her up to much....(but she isn’t going to enjoy it if she is like my wife) Buy her a padded shirt so she doesn’t say the hell with it after the first 3 shots if your set on firing from the shoulder.
    Like you said the key in your situation is going to be verbal commands/responses so she doesn’t blast just anyone who walks through that door.

My wife is tiny as well, unable to rack most 9mm pistols. We’re going to go the tried and true wheel gun route for her when she is ready. Maybe an option for you. Especially if you think her having to take more than one shot may be a possibility. That said if she can operate the G43 let good be good, it’s already setup with a light.
    I like the idea of low recoil/smaller weight rounds to get her used to it.

The 43 is a good fit in her hand, but I miss having my CCW :-(

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    From what you describe I would have suggested a shockwave for her.. However you can just as easily shoot the 500 from your hip as well. No need for her to shoulder the gun based on your needs, sitting/standing static in a corner waiting for perp to break down the door. Work on the load/rack/fire/clear the gun properly and she should be fine. Have her practice with some 7/8oz number 8 birdshot to get her familiar with the firearm without scaring/beating her up to much....(but she isn’t going to enjoy it if she is like my wife) Buy her a padded shirt so she doesn’t say the hell with it after the first 3 shots if your set on firing from the shoulder.
    Like you said the key in your situation is going to be verbal commands/responses so she doesn’t blast just anyone who walks through that door.

My wife is tiny as well, unable to rack most 9mm pistols. We’re going to go the tried and true wheel gun route for her when she is ready. Maybe an option for you. Especially if you think her having to take more than one shot may be a possibility. That said if she can operate the G43 let good be good, it’s already setup with a light.
    Last edited by naplesE30; 07-23-2019, 02:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X