Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by superj View Post
    you have to have one to carry here in texas, also

That is just a permit to purchase a handgun. Gotta get a permit to carry too.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Jesus that's real retarded sir

Comment

Gun Thread

Originally posted by Mediumrarechicken View Post
        Jesus that's real retarded sir

Oh I know it is. For some reason they thought it would bring crime rates down. I can tell you it has not. Per capita this city has some of the highest crime rates in the country. Just hurt law abiding citizens like me. I can tell you though it would never pass on a state level. Nebraska is pro gun for sure.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
          Oh I know it is. For some reason they thought it would bring crime rates down. I can tell you it has not. Per capita this city has some of the highest crime rates in the country. Just hurt law abiding citizens like me. I can tell you though it would never pass on a state level. Nebraska is pro gun for sure.
          Hmm I figured Omaha would be lower crime.

Comment

Originally posted by Mediumrarechicken View Post
            Hmm I figured Omaha would be lower crime.

Oh no its far from it. Downtown, north O, south O and midtown are riddled with it. You can sit on your porch and hear gun shots at some point in time during the week. I’m out in west O so usually all we deal with is the occasional bank/gas station robbery.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

dang, that is crazy

Comment

Originally posted by superj View Post
                you have to have one to carry here in texas, also
                That is to carry, not to purchase...a big difference and yet still an infringement.
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

MD has similar laws, 4 hour class, fingerprinting, etc. just to purchase a handgun. Carry permits are basically unattainable. Long guns are the typical cash n carry after a NICS check.
                  BEERTECH

Comment

As a contrast to this, I'm from the UK, where handguns were banned completely after a school shooting in 1997 (although you werent allowed to carry them in public anyway). Shotguns are restricted to semi automatic and three round max, and automatic weapons are banned.

We still have guns, but these are licensed depending on whether they have a smooth bore or rifled (for example even a starting cannon for a race falls under a shotgun license I believe).

We have restrictions on minimum barrel length for shotguns, restrictions on how guns and ammunition are bought, stored and carried from A-B.

As someone who has been an avid sporting shotgun user for years, I'm not anti gun, but I cant think of a reasonable reason to make things less stringent here, or for carrying a gun in a public place.

It seems as if outlooks in the US vary by geography and the laws with state lines, with some states having fairly stringent permit schemes and others a virtual free for all. I can understand enthusiasm for guns as a hobby (we had the same here for handgun ranges and the like and still do for rifles and shotguns) but as an outsider I struggle to wrap my head around the idea of taking a 9mm handgun out to the supermarket.

I don't want to start a fight, there is enough of that on the internet right now already, but perhaps some of you could tell me how you view it as US citizens? Does it just feel normal?

Comment

alistairolsen, Thank you for that incite.

I live in Texas, some would say we should have the most laxed laws here, but in fact, we do not. I think Arizona, Utah,...would be some of the most free states.

Federally, we also have restrictions on barrel lengths and overall lengths for firearms.

To get to the point that you made about why have a gun at a supermarket; to answer your question, we believe, and our constitution states, that we have rights that are given to us outside of government rule. Just as free speech is an integral part of a free society, so is the ability to have checks and balances on our government.

I live in a very safe city, in 2010 we had 84,000 people that live in my city. I don't always carry a gun with me everywhere I go, however I do have one in my vehicle.

It is my responsibility to be the 1st responder to my family. I've had issues of people trying to attack me on the road(road rage), I've had places where I had to be, and it was not the safest of places.

There are countless acts of people using firearms for their defense and the defense of others.

Every country that has banned guns has seen their crime rate increase.

And to another point about it feeling "normal". My dad had some pistols and a rifle and that was it when I was growing up. I rarely shot them. So I wasn't engulfed in guns until I was a married adult. Both my wife and I have guns and we enjoy shooting them. My wife doesn't want to carry a gun, but she does like having one in the vehicle.

I can't predict if a bad person is going to try and take my life, my family's, or even a bystander's life. Just as I would have a fire extinguisher, so I would have a firearm.

Another note, guns are fun, they are fun to ticker with, they are fun to shoot, and they can be used in sporting endeavors.

Hopefully that helped with a little bit of understanding of why we have guns. Some say it is a cultural difference between the USA and other countries, others say it's due to a lack of trust from the government not trusting it's constituents.

You're only as free as your government allows...
                      1990 325is
                      m52b28
                      3.73lsd
                      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by alistairolsen View Post
                        As a contrast to this, I'm from the UK, where handguns were banned completely after a school shooting in 1997 (although you werent allowed to carry them in public anyway). Shotguns are restricted to semi automatic and three round max, and automatic weapons are banned.

We still have guns, but these are licensed depending on whether they have a smooth bore or rifled (for example even a starting cannon for a race falls under a shotgun license I believe).

We have restrictions on minimum barrel length for shotguns, restrictions on how guns and ammunition are bought, stored and carried from A-B.

As someone who has been an avid sporting shotgun user for years, I'm not anti gun, but I cant think of a reasonable reason to make things less stringent here, or for carrying a gun in a public place.

It seems as if outlooks in the US vary by geography and the laws with state lines, with some states having fairly stringent permit schemes and others a virtual free for all. I can understand enthusiasm for guns as a hobby (we had the same here for handgun ranges and the like and still do for rifles and shotguns) but as an outsider I struggle to wrap my head around the idea of taking a 9mm handgun out to the supermarket.

I don't want to start a fight, there is enough of that on the internet right now already, but perhaps some of you could tell me how you view it as US citizens? Does it just feel normal?

Where I’m from guns are a part of life. I grew up around them and view them as a right. Could the background check be a little more in depth yes it could. But there are so many crazy people in the world. I feel having a gun on my hip is added security. Police take anywhere from 2 min to 20 min to respond depending on your location. The US is a big country there are alot of people that live miles from the nearest police station. If someone is posing a threat you dont have the option of waiting for police to arrive. You deal with it.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

It sounds like NJ has similar laws to NE and MD. I believe you need a permit to purchase a handgun, and it's only good for something like 60 days, and if you haven't bought your gun by then, you need to apply for another permit. You also need a permit to open carry, although once you get that you can carry concealed as well, although the permit is apparently very hard to get. Also, I believe air guns and BB guns are also regulated despite the fact they aren't actually firearms.

Aside from cops, and one guy in a junkyard, I never, ever see or hear guns here. I was in PA for a funeral a few years ago, and I heard what I'm assuming was a couple gun shots during the burial. Not used to that lol.

I don't live in a sketchy area, so I don't really feel the need to carry (also, I don't like carrying things), but I definitely think people should have a gun for home defense - even if you don't think you need it. Any time I'm home alone I definitely have a heightened sense of the fact that I'd be screwed if anyone came to my house to break in.

I don't have any guns, but I think that's going to change at some point. It just seems like a good idea to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it. And shooting looks like fun anyway.
                          Last edited by rturbo 930; 04-06-2018, 10:07 AM.

Comment

For many people in other countries it's hard to wrap their heads around freedom. Although we arnt as free as I feel we should be and elected officials are always trying to take what is left of our freedom. It's funny how every government tries to reduce your freedom. Hell where you are from if you say something that hurts a group's feelings you can go to jail. I carry a gun because I can and I'm a person that believes that I'm responsible to take care or myself and my family and I've been in some situations where a gun could have/has been helpful. Honestly I have little confidence in our government that's why I have barrels of drinking water, emergency food and other stuff in my house in case of a natural disaster, I live on a fault line and 50 miles from a mountain that if it does pop off it's all coming down the hill a couple miles from me. I'm more concerned about the earthquake than the mountain, it has a low chance of going off in my lifetime but you never know. I'm not crazy into prepping but it doesn't cost a lot and it means I can hide out in my house( or what's left of it) while everyone around me is struggling and waiting for FEMA trucks.

There is no way I'd live in another country where they rule your life so much

Comment

I miss my Colts

Can’t have em here in Germany. :hitler:

Sometimes i miss the good ole U.S. of A

‘Merica!

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

I wouldn't say it's a lack of understanding freedom, as most of those people including myself do not equate firearm ownership to freedom. I'd wager that there likely is a correlation between being pro-firearm and anti-marijuana in the US as opposed to the more substance friendly liberals who would also like to see your firearms taken away. So which is freedom? It's a sliding scale that goes both ways, and up and down. One persons particular dose of freedom is another's target.

Comment

Working...
                                X