Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Anyone watch Air Emergency? It's awesome to see how things can break down. Interesting to see the "series of events" that occur which ultimately cause catastrophe.

I wish they would come out with new episodes already.

Just watched the episode on the American Airlines CFIT flight in Cali, Colombia. 160 something dead, 4 survivors. I N S A N E

Imagine surviving someting like that.

Comment

Comment

first officially recognized plane to fly heavier than air... Santos Dumont's 14bis or "Bird of Prey"

Attached Files

Comment

^LIES! ALL LIES!!!

I watched this last night.

It's a 2 hour documentary following the Joint Strike Force Fighter program at Boeing's Phantom Works and Lockheed's Skunk Works - very good.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

We brought in the head Marine Corps test pilot for that program to talk to some kids (about 400 of them ) I went to school with. It was really cool to hear some of what he had to say and his thoughts/experiences on the new technology that is being incorporated into the program. Interesting stuff, there's some crazy technology going into that program.
              sigpic89 M3

Comment

UK - Air Force Handley Page Victor K2 (HP-80)

5th pod carried from Sydney to Singapore.

Russia - Air Force Beriev Bartini VVA 14

Comment

That last one looks like it's straight out of starwars! Does anyone have a picture showing the size difference between the wright flyer one and a 747? Or anything like that? I need if for a project and have been searching around for awhile, but can't find it. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 318kid View Post
                    That last one looks like it's straight out of starwars! Does anyone have a picture showing the size difference between the wright flyer one and a 747? Or anything like that? I need if for a project and have been searching around for awhile, but can't find it. Thanks
                    From what I hear, the Wright flyer could have made it's entire first flight inside of a 747.

Comment

5th pod? they can attach a spare engine? I didn't know that was possible...
                      PNW Crew
                      90 m3
                      06 m5

Comment

^ 747's were designed to allow the attachment of a 5th engine on the port wing. It provides airlines with an easy and cost effective means of transporting spare engines...

A photograph of a plane flying this configuration is one of the holy grails of aircraft enthusiats... This guy must have had a sweet connection or was damn lucky!

Comment

Originally posted by Maluco View Post
                          ^ 747's were designed to allow the attachment of a 5th engine on the port wing. It provides airlines with an easy and cost effective means of transporting spare engines...

A photograph of a plane flying this configuration is one of the holy grails of aircraft enthusiats... This guy must have had a sweet connection or was damn lucky!
                          that's pretty bad ass - I had no idea.

This thread is awesome.
                          PNW Crew
                          90 m3
                          06 m5

Comment

Originally posted by Maluco View Post

Never even heard of that, There's an old Pan Am pilot at the airport that slept and the yoke of a 747, I'll ask him about it tomorrow.

Comment

I love that pic of the 737 taking off next to the 747. I work around 737's and they are huge planes in and of themselves. The 747 dwarfs them in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinepig View Post
                                Never even heard of that, There's an old Pan Am pilot at the airport that slept and the yoke of a 747, I'll ask him about it tomorrow.
                                funny you say that... I remember when I was a kid, my father took me to the cockpit of a 747 during flight. We walked up the stairs and into the cockpit and there was the captain, leaned back in his seat with his legs crossed and kicked up on the "dash". As a kid who knew no better, I damn near had a youthful stroke. That was the day I was introduced to the "Auto-Pilot".

On another note, while also visiting the cockpit during flight, a captain actually turned the plane to show me the artificial horizon instrument register the turn. I was young but I immediately knew the significance of what he did.

The good ole days of jet flight. When little kids could visit the cockpit and get pinned little wings on our shirts by the pilots.

Last edited by Maluco; 12-16-2008, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X