• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice to world travelers/backpackers.

Last June I went backpacking-
    Travelled with 3 others.
    Myself, my gf, by buddy and his gf.

My buddy is from my hometown where I grew up in Arlington Washington.

our 1st jaunt challenge started in Athens followed by Naxos,Crete,Nafpio, Delphi.

Afterwards, flew to Amsterdam, Greece, Turkey, and finally ended everything off in Paris, and Nantes.

My rucksack has a large Canadian Flag patch sewn on, which is visible to all when on my back.

I lost count on how many times people actually did mistake me as American, and had a change of attitude when they took notice to the flag displayed on my rucksack, to the point where more than a few even made mention that they're relieved I was from Canada (especially when lodging in hostels, and site camps) ...Scored me many on the house brews among the flurry of fuckme eyes from chicks that don't speak a lick of english.

Advice to my American brethen who plan on taking a trip like this...
    Toss on a Canadian flag on you...and you're set with worry free greetings and treatment

Eviltwin-OUT

Do I have to end every sentence with 'eh'?
    cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by Eviltwin View Post
      Last June I went backpacking-
      Travelled with 3 others.
      Myself, my gf, by buddy and his gf.

My buddy is from my hometown where I grew up in Arlington Washington.

our 1st jaunt challenge started in Athens followed by Naxos,Crete,Nafpio, Delphi.

Afterwards, flew to Amsterdam, Greece, Turkey, and finally ended everything off in Paris, and Nantes.

My rucksack has a large Canadian Flag patch sewn on, which is visible to all when on my back.

I lost count on how many times people actually did mistake me as American, and had a change of attitude when they took notice to the flag displayed on my rucksack, to the point where more than a few even made mention that they're relieved I was from Canada (especially when lodging in hostels, and site camps) ...Scored me many on the house brews among the flurry of fuckme eyes from chicks that don't speak a lick of english.

Advice to my American brethen who plan on taking a trip like this...
      Toss on a Canadian flag on you...and you're set with worry free greetings and treatment

Eviltwin-OUT
      It's a sad state of affairs, isn't it? I've heard similar stories from friends who have been to Europe recently.
      McCain's military draft: Are you willing to bet your life?

Comment

Bullshit.

They obviously pegged you as a broke ass baggy pants from the moment they saw you, then when they saw the Maple Leaf, they felt sorry for you.

Those weren't fuckme eyes, they were "ohhh, look at the cute little mentally challenged Canuckian"-eyes.....

Comment

yeah, cause we all know canadians aren't anything like americans. I never see fat stupid chicks driving huge SUVs while talking on their cell phone in canada, or rednecks driving lifted 4x4 trucks with huge mudswamper tires... :roll:
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            yeah, cause we all know canadians aren't anything like americans. I never see fat stupid chicks driving huge SUVs while talking on their cell phone in canada, or rednecks driving lifted 4x4 trucks with huge mudswamper tires... :roll:
            I'm preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty sure it hasn't anything to do with fat chicks, cellphones or SUV's

but hey- i'm just sharing basic observations from first hand experience...

don't hate, appreciate!

Comment

Fuck that!

I would rather put a .357 between my eyes than act like I was a Canadian any day of the week.

Go EACDP

Comment

I've never had any problems traveling abroad especially in Europe. I think most people are smart enough to distinguish the citizen of any country from their goverment. Surely you don't think every person from Iran/Russia/China/etc etc is a evil person, just like most people don't assume every American is a fat ass warmonger. I actually enjoy distilling myths and stereotypes established about Americans.

Eh?

Comment

fuck me eyes???
                  yeah, listen, im not a chick but i know what chicks like and trust me, its not the big brainless dolt look you are sporting. chicks look at a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles like yourself and think "i want him around when its time to move"
                  We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                  www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post
                    Fuck that!

I would rather put a .357 between my eyes than act like I was a Canadian any day of the week.

Go EACDP

But you WANT people to think you're a NeoCon?

The irony. :rofl:
                    McCain's military draft: Are you willing to bet your life?

Comment

So I should take this off my backpack then?
                      '74 2002 - Build blog at
                      nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Eviltwin View Post
                        I'm preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty sure it hasn't anything to do with fat chicks, cellphones or SUV's

but hey- i'm just sharing basic observations from first hand experience...

don't hate, appreciate!
                        I'm pretty sure it does - that's the stereotype of the american way of life; it's the excessive lifestyle and stupidity that they hate. Unfortunately for you, the canadian way of life isn't much different. I'm around canadians enough to know the differences - I guess if you were from europe it would be easier to be fooled into thinking canadians were "better" than americans just because of the country they are from. I also think you are a chicken shit if you are using a canadian flag as a cover.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

ah this is soooo sooo sad yet true. its even worse when they find out your an American military member. not everywhere, but i have had enough experiences that left somewhat of a sour taste in my mouth, especially in France.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            I'm pretty sure it does - that's the stereotype of the american way of life; it's the excessive lifestyle and stupidity that they hate. Unfortunately for you, the canadian way of life isn't much different. I'm around canadians enough to know the differences - I guess if you were from europe it would be easier to be fooled into thinking canadians were "better" than americans just because of the country they are from. I also think you are a chicken shit if you are using a canadian flag as a cover.

nope- infact it's there (the flag patch) when sorting thru the mess of bags @ airports/thruways/charters, which are typically disorganized...my backpack looks like the dozens of others, so when I'm rushed with a 21 minute layover to catch another charter, it's easier to spot...and hell- it's a good conversation starter for other backpackers alike-

True story--> met this couple from Mineapolis(sp?) who where the nicest f'ken people you'd ever meet- helped us out with maps and references for Delphi (which is tough to map out/navigate) and hiked with them for two straight days...now we're FACEBOOK BUDDIES WOW!

Nando, I didn't stereotype anyone- don't piss on me if the rest of the world thinks otherwise-

Blunt...you're probably right...she needed a hand with some landscaping and gruntwork her pretty blond hair didn't want to handle.

Comment

A+ thread

Originally posted by whysimon
                              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                              X