No announcement yet.

Help with a speech topic: "Welfare recipients need to be held more accountable"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a speech topic: "Welfare recipients need to be held more accountable"

I'm giving a speech on recipients of welfare needing to be held more accountable. I will be covering only 3 topics but am having a hard time finding three. So far I'm pretty solid on two though, the first being more controls on their finances, or how they spend their money, and secondly the need for drug testing. All I need is a third and figured some of you guys would have some good ideas.

These three points also have to be backed with some data, whether it be graphs, stories or whatever. Let me know what other points you guys think I could use as my third; again regarding welfare recipients being held more accountable.

This is a really good topic, I don't know too much on how people misuse welfare. It is honestly sad to see little kids going through this kinda thing.
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Access to things like LexisNexis would be a great help in searching for info.
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by E30 F34R View Post
        This is a really good topic, I don't know too much on how people misuse welfare. It is honestly sad to see little kids going through this kinda thing.
        Solid topic and I want to ensure I keep my speech solid.

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
        Access to things like LexisNexis would be a great help in searching for info.
        we don't have access to it here.

Comment

Who is going to be responsible for paying for the drug testing of those on welfare? Something you might want to think about...

Comment

Originally posted by jrhaile View Post
            Who is going to be responsible for paying for the drug testing of those on welfare? Something you might want to think about...
            comes outta your welfare benifit, RIGHT OFF THE TOP. Dont like too bad bitch to those that ruined it for the rest of you.

Maybe a 3rd topic, is alternatives, and gaining some community service outta them, especially the long term recipients, like if you are it for more than 8 months and have no gain full employment, you report to the DPW and push a broom, or pick up trash at the parks 30 hours a month or something
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

How bout instead of giving someone an ebt card, we give them a bag of rice? Or how bout instead of just cutting someone a check, we make them pick up garbage on the highway first?

Comment

Just shut down the system much like Bill did. What make them work? That's below their standards of free handouts. The ACLU will be all over that one.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  comes outta your welfare benifit, RIGHT OFF THE TOP. Dont like too bad bitch to those that ruined it for the rest of you.

Maybe a 3rd topic, is alternatives, and gaining some community service outta them, especially the long term recipients, like if you are it for more than 8 months and have no gain full employment, you report to the DPW and push a broom, or pick up trash at the parks 30 hours a month or something
                  indeed, it comes out of their pockets, besides people fail to realize how much is lost on continuing to pay welfare without drug tests.

that community service idea is awesome although pretty radical at first taste. Makes perfect sense though. Society is giving to you and one way or the other you are going to give back.

Comment

Obviously this is not a solid subject otherwise you'd have no problem getting at least three, if not TEN topics on it. Sounds like you've got a personal feeling about welfare, and now want some data to support what you want to believe.

BUUUT.... The biggest problem with welfare is the lack of incentive to get off welfare. And from seeing people where I live on welfare and talking to some, the hinderance here is the stark cut off line between benifits and no benefits. There needs to be a sliding scale.

Someone explained to me that if your income is less than a set amount then you get food aid, medical benifets, housing benifits, etc. But once you make one penny over that limit, then all your benifits go away. Then once all your benifits are gone because you got a 50 cent raise, you are in a worse position because there's no way that small raise is now going to make up for everything you just lost.

There needs to be a sliding scale so that once a person or family starts incrimentally making more money, then their welfare benifits should taper off. That way a family could fight their way off of welfare without taking a huge step backwards. Sometimes that step backwards is big discouragement, and a lot of people do things like limit how many hours they work a week, or other things to make sure they dont lose everything at once.

Also, save our money and skip the drug testing. Unless a welfare recipeint has shown to have a problem with drugs, then its a waste of money while being unfair to the responsible drug users.

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                      Just shut down the system much like Bill did. What make them work? That's below their standards of free handouts. The ACLU will be all over that one.
                      NYC was going to do that to its long termer's a number of years ago, 10 hours a month IIRC that was uber flexible, you could do it all in one day or 1 hour a day for 10 days. So it would not interfere with trying to find a real means of supporting your self.

You were supposed to report to a local FD, Police Station, and push a broom, clean up the side walk, park, you know shit like that all over the city. It lasted all of a month or so before the program was dropped, thank the ACLU law suit.

h0lmes: Yup make that food stamp debit card only good for Milk, eggs, rice, bread, beans, peanut butter, jelly. caned veggies, Potted meat, and a small amount of ground meat and fresh produce. The idea is not to starve, but make it unpleasant, then its a incentive to get off it.

and the check is not good for CASH withdrawals ANYWHERE, its only good for staples of life, just like the food stamp card, Tooth paste, clothing, soap, deodorant, tp, ect....

also lastly Section 8 govt subsisted rent, is not single family, its 2-3 families living in the same space, want to live with out roomies, get a job and make something of you self to get the fuck outta the system.

All this meets the physical needs of the people in the system, they are not gonna starve, not going to be without shelter, and clothing appropriate for, where they live. Thus meets the requirements, for humanitarian needs of people down on their luck , but makes it as unpleasant as possible to be in the system, and thus provides built in incentive to get outta it.

AND IF I HAVE TO PASS A PISS TEST FOR A JOB, SO DO YOU TO GET MY TAX DOLLARS. YOU WILL PAY FOR IT TOO, A RANDOM QUARTERLY PISS TEST, YOU GET THE LETTER TO SHOW UP YOU DO IT. YOU MISS IT YOU LOSE YOUR BEFIT PERIOD
                      Last edited by mrsleeve; 08-03-2010, 01:51 PM.
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

"I'm giving a speech on recipients of welfare needing to be held more accountable. I will be covering only 3 topics but am having a hard time finding three."

Investigate what is the government's goal with setting up welfare programs. You will probably gather more than 10 goals. Then compare with the governement's studies on what it really achieves. Don't only express your "biased" opinion. Or do it after comparing results. Basically, demonstrate that there are some problems with welfare (if indeed there are), and express your solution.
                        Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post
                          Obviously this is not a solid subject otherwise you'd have no problem getting at least three, if not TEN topics on it. Sounds like you've got a personal feeling about welfare, and now want some data to support what you want to believe.

BUUUT.... The biggest problem with welfare is the lack of incentive to get off welfare. And from seeing people where I live on welfare and talking to some, the hinderance here is the stark cut off line between benifits and no benefits. There needs to be a sliding scale.

Someone explained to me that if your income is less than a set amount then you get food aid, medical benifets, housing benifits, etc. But once you make one penny over that limit, then all your benifits go away. Then once all your benifits are gone because you got a 50 cent raise, you are in a worse position because there's no way that small raise is now going to make up for everything you just lost.

There needs to be a sliding scale so that once a person or family starts incrimentally making more money, then their welfare benifits should taper off. That way a family could fight their way off of welfare without taking a huge step backwards. Sometimes that step backwards is big discouragement, and a lot of people do things like limit how many hours they work a week, or other things to make sure they dont lose everything at once.

Also, save our money and skip the drug testing. Unless a welfare recipeint has shown to have a problem with drugs, then its a waste of money while being unfair to the responsible drug users.
                          your assumptions make you a complete idiot. my family has been on food stamps, I have friends who are still on food stamps, you are wrong about there not being a "sliding scale" and lastly, it's people like you that will never even see how much of a hinderance the current welfare system is on people bettering their lives. Gimme gimme, status quo, make my life easy mothafkas.

I have personal feelings about all kinds of shit that pertains to the society I live in.

Go smoke your joint and let the grown ups talk. A responsible drug using welfare recipient? Imagine that! GTFOH!!! Seriously LMOAWTFLOLROFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post
                            No thanks you may call it responsible, I call it feeding to the ever growing crime syndicates. It might be legal to have less an an ounce in your possession but that does not mean you can legally grow, distribute and so on.

Now if the gov't changes the rules on that sure by all means, but if you want your illegal substances there are places where it's not illegal.
                            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

ok then

Comment

Working...
                              X