The unemployment rate has fallen a full percentage point over the last 4 mo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    Heeter you called me a fool for buying silver 4 years ago @ 13.xx bucks an oz. I have been laughing all the way too the bank with that advice
    too bad you hadn't bought stocks back then. you'd be doing even better.

apple: $85.30 on march 6, 2009
    apple: $530.26 on march 6, 2012 (and it peaked at $636 just recently)

100% gain over 4 years, or 620% gain over 3 years? plus apple now pays a dividend.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

^
      Who says I didn't ;) just not in the .com/tech sector, I am in petro/energy/mineing/aero space mostly. Don't make tons of money but have been well insulated from much of the turmoil in recent years and been doing just fine

Can I be in the stats quote for the week???
      I got laid off last firday........................... well it really was the week before but I took 56 hours (half or so ) of the vacation time I had saved up to fill out the pay period.
      Last edited by mrsleeve; 04-16-2012, 01:20 PM.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Sorry to hear that sleeve.

Comment

^
          Who says I didn't ;) just not in the .com/tech sector, I am in petro/energy/mineing/aero space mostly. Don't make tons of money but have been well insulated from much of the turmoil in recent years and been doing just fine

I got laid off last firday........................... well it really was the week before but I took 56 hours (half or so ) of the vacation time I had saved up to fill out the pay period.
          Yeah, with all the IPO shenanigans, I'm fearing a DotComBubble 2.0. And those are not a bad few industries to be in with growing demand for energy/oil, etc.

Sorry to hear that dude.

Comment

^

that sucks, but in your industry it's not like there aren't any jobs. I'm in the same industry actually, just the downstream side.

oh, and I don't own any apple stock, so I missed out on that run too. But at the time, Apple made products that people wanted. they still grew at a huge rate in a time when nobody had money and we lost millions of jobs in a few months.

$85 for apple shares in march '09 was a fire sale, anyone who bought on that day and held untill now made a lot of money. These days, with Jobs gone, I don't know if I'd be jumping head in - but it shows that fundamentals do pay off (good product that people want, solid earnings growth, good balance sheet, good management = stock performance).

instead of some guy in a bunker saying the sky is falling and you should buy gold/silver because they did. pretty shaky basis for an investment if you ask me..
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
              Well, just because you think I'm mean for calling you ignorant... that doesn't make it untrue does it?

And you act like you are above it? You got to be kidding me...

You're anti-intellectual, anti-science, simple, and attack people with views different from you. Pot meet kettle.

If you actually cared to read sources other than biased blogs and FauxNews, like NCPA.org or Reason.com, you might actually have reasonable points and views, instead of just rherotic based on misinformation, misconceptions, or data taken out of context. You represent the mouth-breathing conservative who believes Obama is a Muslim and makes it hard for anyone who would like ABO to win in November to take the GOP base seriously. If people have an IQ above 70 and can think critically on their own , care to research reality, or take it upon themselves to truly understand complex subjects, the crap coming out from most of the party supporters makes their blood boil because of the stupidity. Watering down everything so the least common denominator can understand it is good for mainstream media, but misses out on important ideas... and that's the sad future of America if Idiocracy comes true. You hate when liberals spew bullshit, yet do the same yourself.
              wtf you're really cale in drag?

i try you engage you in an intellectual discussion about money and the best you can do is to try an insult me with names to try and make me look like i'm wrong or don't know what i'm talking about? brilliant and worthy of your vast intellect.

you talk smart and are good at posting charts that for some seem like they support what you're saying, but when i prove you wrong you change the subject and call me stupid. i don't remember calling you anything other than rwh.

so far from you've posted up you're totally absent money management/portfolio management skills. you do not understand portfolio theory, or haven't read up/googled it to form an intelligent reply, believe insight like the t-bill being the most traded treasury is somehow worthy of a super economist.

i suggest marrying foreign and domestic stocks that give better returns with less risk and you think its obvious, right after saying you're sticking with only USA stock. all that proves is you don't know what you're talking about when i back you into a corner, just like your post about the 90's. LOL

you may be steeped in econ, but you aparently don't know squat about money or you play dumb really well. somehow calling a top on silver at $48 (with perfect hindsight?) somehow proves what, that you know how to invest? why don't you post up your own portfolio returns for the last year, 3yrs, 5 yrs and 10 yrs and let's see how bright you really are?

for the record, please go back thru all my posts (all 1500) and see just how many GOP politicians i've defended or promoted. neither party is worth a shit, its just libs/progressives like obama are the worst of what our country is all about. the gardner would be an improvement.
              “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks I will be fine though. It was a voluntary lay off for some R&R and some family stuff that needed to be taken care of. I was out for 7 months again it was time for a little time since there is a lull in projects for april. Should not be off too long as we have piles of work getting ready to kick off between now and mid may
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
                  wtf you're really cale in drag?

i try you engage you in an intellectual discussion about money and the best you can do is to try an insult me with names to try and make me look like i'm wrong or don't know what i'm talking about? brilliant and worthy of your vast intellect.

you talk smart and are good at posting charts that for some seem like they support what you're saying, but when i prove you wrong you change the subject and call me stupid. i don't remember calling you anything other than rwh.

so far from you've posted up you're totally absent money management/portfolio management skills. you do not understand portfolio theory, or haven't read up/googled it to form an intelligent reply, believe insight like the t-bill being the most traded treasury is somehow worthy of a super economist.

i suggest marrying foreign and domestic stocks that give better returns with less risk and you think its obvious, right after saying you're sticking with only USA stock. all that proves is you don't know what you're talking about when i back you into a corner, just like your post about the 90's. LOL

you may be steeped in econ, but you aparently don't know squat about money or you play dumb really well. somehow calling a top on silver at $48 (with perfect hindsight?) somehow proves what, that you know how to invest? why don't you post up your own portfolio returns for the last year, 3yrs, 5 yrs and 10 yrs and let's see how bright you really are?

for the record, please go back thru all my posts (all 1500) and see just how many GOP politicians i've defended or promoted. neither party is worth a shit, its just libs/progressives like obama are the worst of what our country is all about. the gardner would be an improvement.
                  NOTHING you posts is in the least bit intellectual in that you only claim things without any proof and without any regard to more complex than mere correlation. [Gas prices have tripled since Justin Bieber's birth, is he to blame?] You don't know anything, you just parrot whatever you read on blogs - and even if they only say "maybe this will happen", you proclaim it as absolute certainty. The charts support what I'm saying because they are actual data that align with concepts and not just made up rhetoric from someone too lazy to learn or use available information. People can't predict the future with absolute certainty, nor is it always what has just occurred, nor is it likely what you read from your 'source' and treat as gospel... but data and facts can be argued and checked and used to explain or relate reality to theory and ideas, opinions. Failure to look beyond what someone tells you to believe is choosing to be ignorant. And it absolutely disgusts me that people like you repeat what sensationalism news media proclaims without regard to factcheck, understand underlying theories, or look at data so you can come to your own conclusion if it makes sense or is bullshit. You're a sheep, just like the OWS who gobble up all the bull that their friends tell them to think.

What did you prove me wrong on???

How does understanding what arbitrage is and pointing out holes in your 'logic' mean that I don't understand asset management. Are you impressed with yourself that you can retype beta, risk, and volatility? Congrats. Financial management 101, you get a gold star. And yet you try to call out the market results of one trading day as if it is telling?

I think combining US and world market in a portfolio is obvious because I've been doing it for years. Along with US REITs. Again, do you want a gold star for casting a wide net and minimizing a specific country or industry shock, which is one of the most basic principles of investing?

You're seriously beyond dense if you can't pick up on the sarcasm here...
                  if investors thought the economy was ok, yes, yields would go up as safe money exited bonds and went to riskier assets like stocks.
                  Yes, because the economy and market sucked in the nineties as bond yields decreased...

Calling it moronic to invest in silver in April 2011 wasn't perfect hindsight, it was common sense to anyone with a brain. And hindsight implies I didn't make that call at the time, but since then. Go back and look - even at the time of its great climb in value I called it a bubble:
                  But silver is bubbled up right now, isn't there better priced doomsday goods today you could buy?
                  And I also explained why people buying silver to hedge inflation because of QE were simplistic and not understanding the real determination of money supply. If Big Bad Ben really was pushing easy money and destroying the value of the US dollar, would people be really buying T-bills from the US at such low yields??

Any thread of about investing has my buys: VTI, VEU, VNQ in some proportion like 44 / 28 / 28. Dumped tax credit money in when everyone else was scared of the market in 2009 and made 50% by the time I wanted to sell and use it for what I was saving/investing for. Other than that, enjoy a company matching program with a 401k with a target date fund, which is obviously heavy in stocks. Oh, I also opened an account the first time in Sept 2008 and everyone was panicking to pick up AZO at $130. [More people going to AutoZone since they were keeping their used cars longer... did okay in the 3.5 years since then, up 175%]
                  Last edited by rwh11385; 04-16-2012, 05:50 PM.

Comment

btw, how has your investing being going if you have been shorting the S&P500 for three months? (based solely on what one FA said *might* happen)

It's reasonable to question if government numbers are accurate or biased, but intelligent people would find third party numbers to validate... not just wildly speculate. And intelligent people would read how and when BLS number reporting changed, not blaming it ignorantly on the current administration because some right-wing crazy said so.

Gallup's U.S. economic indicators are trending positive, with Americans' confidence in the economy, self-reported employment status, personal spending, and workplace hiring near post-recession highs in March and early April.

U.S. unemployment, as measured by Gallup without seasonal adjustment, declined to 8.4% in March from 9.1% in February, while Gallup's seasonally adjusted rate fell to 8.1% from 8.6% in February.

Comment

NFW
                      reits huh?
                      congratulations men and women of r3v
                      we have a winner!
                      he knows alternative investments like real estate!!!

hip hip hooray!!

how about private equity?
                      international bonds?
                      emerging market debt?
                      commodities?
                      short duration high yield?
                      reverse converts?
                      straight converts?
                      mortgages? (agency or non-agency? pls be specific)
                      cmo's?
                      BBB- debt?
                      BBB+ debt?
                      leveraged preferred's?
                      leveraged agency mortgage pools?
                      international real estate?
                      china?
                      india?
                      iraq?
                      the BRICS?
                      turkey?
                      small cap growth?
                      mid cap value?
                      dogs of the dow?
                      dividend growth?
                      utes?
                      energy?
                      MLP's?

what is going to be the best place to be this year?

come on heeter, impress us
                      Last edited by gwb72tii; 04-16-2012, 10:24 PM.
                      “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

NFW
                        reits huh?
                        congratulations men and women of r3v
                        we have a winner!
                        he knows alternative investments like real estate!!!

hip hip hooray!!

how about private equity?
                        international bonds?
                        emerging market debt?
                        commodities?
                        short duration high yield?
                        reverse converts?
                        straight converts?
                        mortgages? (agency or non-agency? pls be specific)
                        cmo's?
                        BBB- debt?
                        international real estate?
                        china?
                        india?
                        iraq?

come on heeter, impress us
                        So that's all of your response? Trying to get buried in talks about different types of investment instead of talking about how you shorted the S&P500 as it grew because of what one FA said might happen?

Pretty weak distraction.

the BRICS?
                        turkey?
                        small cap growth?
                        mid cap value?
                        dogs of the dow?
                        dividend growth?
                        utes?
                        energy?
                        MLP's?

what is going to be the best place to be this year?
                        You edited to add more... more distraction.

China and India must be important if you called them out individually as well as in the BRIC acronym. (Or did ya just want to use up another line?)

Comment

come on heeter, you can do better
                          if you ask i'll explain each
                          tell us your asset class weighting, and why
                          tell us your sharp ratio
                          come on
                          i'll look tomorrow so you can google all this agian

btw - i edit a lot cause i can't spell for shit and it bothers me
                          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

come on heeter, you can do better
                            if you ask i'll explain each
                            tell us your asset class weighting, and why
                            tell us your sharp ratio
                            come on
                            i'll look tomorrow so you can google all this agian

btw - i edit a lot cause i can't spell for shit and it bothers me
                            It's strange you love details of different investments or asset classes, yet overlook and don't educate yourself at all about the fundamental economics of money supply. Missing the forest for the trees.

Naming options out of an investment fund brochure isn't really impressive, especially when it is meant purely as a distraction from the previous misconceptions you've presented.

But if it makes you happy, then toss your money in silver or short the S&P500 because your hyperinflationary beliefs, but that doesn't mean it'll come true. Nor does obsessing over someone's investment advice make you intelligent.

Comment

nope, just pointing out you're ignorance
                              can't see the forest for the trees so to speak
                              and the fact you judge success on a 3 month window is all i need to know about your supposed intelligence about the markets
                              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

nope, just pointing out you're ignorance
                                can't see the forest for the trees so to speak
                                and the fact you judge success on a 3 month window is all i need to know about your supposed intelligence about the markets
                                Your*?

You play apparently in all of these instruments but don't know the money supply? Or base your calls on one FA's advice? 3 months or 30 years, the reason you are shorting the S&P was based solely on what your favorite FA said might happen which is nullified largely by 3 months of growth and he said if same or higher, his risk of perceived recession was lowered quickly. So what are you basing your play on now?? Just hope that the economy will fail because that is how you are betting with no data to support it? Or hope that people will believe biased hatred for Obama instead of data like you do??

And none of the assets you mentioned makes a recession incoming proven or that your only source that said a recession MAY be coming was disproven. And mentiong counties and industries by name does not prove you dont understand that Obama didn't change how BLS calculated unemployment numbers, that the decrease in labor force participation rate has been long-standing and it peaked LONG ago and probably won't ever get back to where it was due to more education delaying entry and the amount of boomers entering retirement.

Instead of talking about the subject of the thread or countering my points, you simply distract with a list of investment instruments. No comment on third party Gallup numbers moving along with BLS, not just the government lying to you. You represent voters do would rather repeat rheoritic from some biased source than actually find the data or understand the concept themselves which is dangerous to the democratic process.
                                Last edited by rwh11385; 04-17-2012, 08:19 AM. Reason: Damn you autocorrect

Comment

Working...
                                X