The unemployment rate has fallen a full percentage point over the last 4 mo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah for inflation while wages stay the same

Opec will still be getting the same thing value wise , its just going to seem like way more for us
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

it would be fine if wages were staying the same
      actually not fine, less worse

rwh, you may know this stat
      isn't money velocity at a 50yr low, or close?
      “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
        it would be fine if wages were staying the same
        actually not fine, less worse

rwh, you may know this stat
        isn't money velocity at a 50yr low, or close?
        Are you too old to use google, or just too lazy?

Comment

so much for being civil
          “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

and a follow up question
            what does the fed see coming that has scared the shit out of them so much that bernanke would embark on the most massive printing of money in history?
            the fiscal cliff

Ben doesn't think that congress can accomplish anything. They've already proven that they can't. It's basically a phsycological game, to get the people to feel a bit better about the economy, so that if the fiscal cliff comes (likely), maybe the damage won't be so bad if people don't freak out.

LOL at the wiemar republic comment. really? you think they'll print to 1000% inflation? we haven't even broke 3% in the last several years. also, Europe won't do anything to fix their broken system. The Fed seems to be the only entity willing and able to do a damn thing.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

you can't force people to use the money the fed prints, and that is the problem
              and here is the answer to the question i asked rwh, who answered in his usual fashion
              money velocity is at a 50 year low. there is plenty of money (liquidity) but nobody wants to do anything with it.
              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

And here's a follow up question: Which income level segment of our population absolutely excels at spending money? I mean, they're damn good too, like a 1 to 1 ratio of income to spending.
                "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm."
                -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

and here is the answer to the question i asked rwh, who answered in his usual fashion
                  money velocity is at a 50 year low. there is plenty of money (liquidity) but nobody wants to do anything with it.
                  I think the Fed knows that bond buying may have limited effect in the economy. That's why I said, it's mostly psycological, the hope is to blunt the impact of the fiscal cliff. And with congress unable to accomplish a single thing fiscally in the last 2-3 years, they've sort of forced the Fed's hand.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Morrison View Post
                    And here's a follow up question: Which income level segment of our population absolutely excels at spending money? I mean, they're damn good too, like a 1 to 1 ratio of income to spending.
                    Poor people.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      I think the Fed knows that bond buying may have limited effect in the economy. That's why I said, it's mostly psycological, the hope is to blunt the impact of the fiscal cliff. And with congress unable to accomplish a single thing fiscally in the last 2-3 years, they've sort of forced the Fed's hand.
                      i'd have to agree
                      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                        Poor people.
                        That is corrrect.
                        "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm."
                        -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

^^^
                          so what then, i ask you two, is the fed doing that will help the poor? measured by family wealth, the top 20% own close to 93% of all stocks/bonds.
                          bernanke somehow believes, absent any data, that the wealth affect will empower people to spend more, even though it hasn't.
                          but if it were true, it enriches the very people that don't spend every dollar they make (according to kershaw), which widens the rich/not rich gap further and does nothing for the economy.
                          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

^^^
                            it enriches the very people that don't spend every dollar they make (according to kershaw), which widens the rich/not rich gap further and does nothing for the economy.
                            I agree.

it seems to be a signal to buy equities. at least that's how I interpret it. Still waiting for a buying opp.. been saving since august of last year.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

so much for being civil
                              Sorry, I forget that you are used to others supplying all the information for you. But as an adult, you should be more than capable (in theory) to provide support on your own.

Here's a more long-term view of money stock velocity as well, to put things in perspective.

Also, the multiplier effect has been decimated by the mortgage crisis. But that's been mentioned here before (perhaps in another thread but possible here too).

Even as the money base is increased, the end resulting M3 might not be that great as desired since there isn't as much leveraging due to fewer people getting mortgages, whether from lack of financial ability, lack of desire, or lack of bank approval. Considering that many people who got houses, or too large of houses than they could afford, I don't think if banks hope people responsible and more people are thinking more conservative than they were before... I don't think you'll see this bounce back any time soon. The real estate market healing is a bit different from demand returning to the same as before all of this, as well as people putting more down and borrowing less, avoiding sometimes if possible (Dave Ramsey folks).

Poor people will always use money, but they typically don't "bank" much. Middle-class may save and borrow, but as mentioned above - maybe not in the magnitude as before the crisis. People will use money, but enabling banks to leverage it to increase the supply is a different story.

Plenty of people I know are still borrowing (and can), but that doesn't mean everyone else is as capable or attracted to the system. A few people here scream all cash and debit still, and would rather rent and pay more than buy again. It'll take time and even when mentalities recover, they still might err on the side of conservative still.

But that low amount of money turn / leverage is why an increase in monetary base isn't having a resulting run up of inflation. If for some reason it would turn and increase towards more leverage, then there would be a dramatic inflation pressure. However, I don't think that magically overnight everyone will start borrowing again and loving banks again, so Ben can respond with bong selling if there was ever a serious inflationary threat.

Heck, the last time the core CPI was above 4% was 1992.

And has been kept nicely around 2% for the most part (core).

Yes, our money supply is limited by the leverage and velocity of it. Velocity took a dive in the collapse of the house of cards.

Yes, increasing the base has a risk of inflation if that leverage & velocity changes without allowing time to adjust the base accordingly. But it'll take time to build up the multiplier or velocity again.

^^^
                              so what then, i ask you two, is the fed doing that will help the poor? measured by family wealth, the top 20% own close to 93% of all stocks/bonds.
                              bernanke somehow believes, absent any data, that the wealth affect will empower people to spend more, even though it hasn't.
                              but if it were true, it enriches the very people that don't spend every dollar they make (according to kershaw), which widens the rich/not rich gap further and does nothing for the economy.
                              Well, you know what would probably help them spend? If they know what the shit their tax rates are going to be next year.

The problems don't center around monetary policy, nor do the real solutions. Americans should be concerned with their members of Congress and their neighbors who aren't well adapted to the job market. No amount of easy money will fix the structural unemployment issue, nor our government's inability to make an agreement or compromise on a budget or provide a certain future for people to make decisions based upon.
                              Last edited by rwh11385; 09-17-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
                                Sorry, I forget that you are used to others supplying all the information for you. But as an adult, you should be more than capable (in theory) to provide support on your own.
                                it was a peace offering you chump
                                you know, trying to engage you in an adult conversation without the usual bullshit that comes with your posts.
                                someday you'll get over your own lack of self esteem/low self confidence and not have to demean, insult, and ridicule to make a point.
                                Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X