This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ajhostetter View Post
    I love that the Trump thread has become the climate change thread.
    Give it a minute... it will be a gun control thread in the next page or two.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
      hey if you're going to complain about use of sweeping generalizations like deplorables you shouldn't turn around and pretend that these protestors are representative of all of the 61M voters that picked hillary.
      agreed but don't think i did
      i have no problem with the protesters (ran into them last night in Seattle)
      by the left i mean the democrat leadership, mainstream media, actors, my sister etc
      “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
        Give it a minute... it will be a gun control thread in the next page or two.
        sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
          by the left i mean the democrat leadership, mainstream media, actors, my sister etc
          Friggin hilarious.
          sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

not going to enter this debate again
            keep the faith baby cause that's all you have

the point was Hillary lost because of the dems overreaching and emphasizing crap like crap climate science instead of things important to the deplorables, like wages and jobs.
            its interesting to note the people who voted for and elected our next president historically were the democrat base, people who worked their butts off, raised kids, bought a home and hoped to retire someday with a modest income. you know, the deplorables.
            instead the left gave us crap climate models, transgender bathrooms, a war on coal jobs, and a war on the police.
            and the left throws a temper tantrum because they lost?
            Hillary, and the left's, biggest mistake was not engaging in conversation. Name calling and ignoring is no way to run for office and it cost her and the democrats.

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
            hey if you're going to complain about use of sweeping generalizations like deplorables you shouldn't turn around and pretend that these protestors are representative of all of the 61M voters that picked hillary.
            I did not vote for Hillary... but your statement holds true. Just like Hillary did not call ALL Trump supporters deplorables (though saying even that was a bad idea obviously).
            "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
            91 318is Turbo Sold
            87 325 Daily driver Sold
            06 4.8is X5
            06 Mtec X3
            05 4.4i X5 Sold
            90 325i Sold
            97 328is Sold
            01 323ci Sold
            92 325i Sold
            83 528e Totaled
            98 328i Sold
            93 325i Sold

Comment

well it reads that way when the protestors are the ones throwing the temper tantrums

I did not vote for Hillary... but your statement holds true. Just like Hillary did not call ALL Trump supporters deplorables (though saying even that was a bad idea obviously).
              yup, it was a real poor choice of words

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post

How much of weight differential do you think these rocks need to become unbalanced? Is there a percentage change that you think would start to affect things? Maybe 5%? Maybe 10%?

Second question, do you think nature is perfectly balanced between all its individual constituents and terrains? How much would it require to unbalance things? Maybe the world can recover from volcanoes, huge ones certainly can unbalance the world, but it does recover. What happens when the world is at the limit that it can recover from and then a huge volcano erupts? The planet will keep living, but will it be hostile to us and the plants and animals we depend on?

I posit that there are plenty of people not bought by politics that simply want to care for the world and keep it beautiful for all the coming generations. Even those of us, like me, who don't plan on having kids and have no vested interest in the future. I want to keep this world a beautiful place.

Here is really sad news. The Great Barrier Reef is dying.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...limate-change/
                To correlate the balance of life and homeostasis on the planet to an equation with a small handful of variables is very narrow-minded and I'm sure you don't mean it in that way. I would even hazard to say if you put a big round disc on a balance point and placed a stone at every degree around the circle and varied the weight in question on one of these 360 stones you still would not come even close to a percentage of the balance for life in the earth sense.

See below in regards to my thoughts on the grand scheme of things on us being but a blink.

And yes, it is quite sad that the great barrier reef is dying. There are many things dying, changing, being broken down and being replaced, it is the cycle of life, it is inevitable. For all we can know, in 25,000 years there will be the Great Eastern Seaboard Reef after changes in the ocean due to an earthquake that changes the ocean floor in Greenland.

Keeping "this world a beautiful place" is an unrealistic utopian idea that doesn't work, this planet is in a constant state of change of which we do not control, or even influence. The coming generations will eventually disappear and be whispers in history and the planet will continue and will still be beautiful, deserts will become forests, beaches will become hillsides, prairies will become lakebeds and seafloors.

I did, and you're right... I probably should have clarified my use of VERY. They went all the way from day 1 out to something like 1000 years? I forget exactly, aired a long time ago.

My main point was that we are capable of influencing the planet to a very high degree, especially if we choose to do so.
                Understood on your opinion of your main point, but fact is, modern humans have been here on earth for ~200,000 years. Almost EVERYTHING that would ever be a record of us as a species would be gone in 10,000 years, that's 20% of the entirety of humanity existing. We are a blink, there were divergent subspecies of dinosaurs that existed longer than we will. We are but a temporary fungal infection on a huge ball flying through space that has seen 99% of all species of every living thing on it go extinct, where the dominant intelligent species is in a panic to preserve known life, of which one and a half million have been noted and described, but ten to fourteen million are estimated to exist. HOLY SHIT, right?

This all means that we are but one species of an estimate of 140,000,000 total species to date (4.5billion years) with another ~3.2 billion years in this planets cycle yet to go.

We need to stop being so self-centered.
                Last edited by Farbin Kaiber; 11-14-2016, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  Planet has been warming for the last 12k years, where many of us sit to type these very messages, was under a sheets of fucking ICE 6000 FEET thick or more a blink in grand scope of time ago.......

I guess it was all the campfires those prehistoric hunter gathers lit to fend of the wild life and cold got the ball rolling

and then it gets really cold again, my uncle who is a retired scientist, who lives in Alaska, does core samples up near barrow, and has done some in Antartica, we have had heat waves thousands of years ago, and then it gets super cold again.

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Kinda my point
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                      We need to stop being so self-centered.
                      Agreed. But we also can't be so dismissive either. A nice middle ground needs to be found.

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                      and then it gets really cold again, my uncle who is a retired scientist, who lives in Alaska, does core samples up near barrow, and has done some in Antartica, we have had heat waves thousands of years ago, and then it gets super cold again.
                      I don't think anyone disputes that. Natural climate change has always, and will always, be a part of the planet's cycle. We just need to admit we are influencing it... not that we are creating it.

As Sleeve pointed out Co2 levels, O2 levels, and many other gases have varied at different times in Earth's history. The difference being how long life had to adapt to those levels.
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled
                      98 328i Sold
                      93 325i Sold

Comment

1 word

Volcano

1 major eruption pumps more co2 and even more efficient greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than all of human combustion of fossil fuels in history. In the past volcanic activity has been far more frequent than what we know today.
                        I see this posted a lot but I read into it once and found that not to be the case. I don't have time to do the digging but the info is out there.
                        "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm."
                        -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

the closest thing we have had to a major eruption in recent memory, is MT Pinatubo in the early 90 and and that was something like 250 MEGATONS of gasses the bulk of which was CO2 and SO2.

The supper volcanoes that only 1 or 2 go off in an Epoch are the ones I was talking about
                          Last edited by mrsleeve; 11-14-2016, 07:45 PM.
                          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                          William Pitt-

Comment

The supper volcanoes that only 1 or 2 go off in an Epoch are the ones I was talking about
                            If one of those goes off... global warming will be the least of our concerns.

Edit: As an aside, I visited Kilauea and Mauna Loa as a kid. It was awesome. Lived in HI for 7 years. Can't wait to take the wife once the kids get to a more "leave them both with the grandparents" age.
                            Last edited by Schnitzer318is; 11-14-2016, 08:35 PM.
                            91 318is Turbo Sold
                            87 325 Daily driver Sold
                            06 4.8is X5
                            06 Mtec X3
                            05 4.4i X5 Sold
                            90 325i Sold
                            97 328is Sold
                            01 323ci Sold
                            92 325i Sold
                            83 528e Totaled
                            98 328i Sold
                            93 325i Sold

Comment

I am going to have to find the article (might have been a documentry) from a couple of years ago, that went in depth into the ice core and geological data, along with thoughts on solar out puts. Then discussed how the very stable weather patterns this planet has seen since the end of the last ice age (12k years ago) is the weather anomaly it self, and that large rapid swaps from heating cycles to cooling cycles were FAR MORE COMMON up until the very recent past. This long patter of "stable" weather is what has allowed us to evolve and flourish as well as we have, and might just be a well timed fluke.

William Pitt-

Comment

The problem is our entire society relies on the stable pattern of climate, and we are currently destabilizing it unnecessarily.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X