This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    The problem is our entire society relies on the stable pattern of climate, and we are currently destabilizing it unnecessarily.
    Taxes will fix it.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I know you're being sarcastic - but I voted No on the recent carbon tax proposal (as did most of the state of WA) because yes, it's misguided and isn't going to fix the problem. But burying your head in the sand and saying "lalalalalala!" doesn't make the problem go away either.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        The problem is our entire society relies on the stable pattern of climate, and we are currently destabilizing it unnecessarily.
        As farby pointed out just assuming that the cause is us is a bit short sighted when we really have no fucking clue about how the weather works year over year, outside of our own very short time on this ball of dirt. Couple that with accurate record keeping, that dates back to only a couple of decades older than my grandmother..... is bit of a derpy derp, way to go about looking at the problem. Just because there is an "obvious answer" does not mean it's the correct answer, and when your only playing with very limited data points, jumping to the conclusion of "settled science" is a bit like putting blinders on a horse to focus his attention on only what you want him to see. The harder yoi look in 1 place for the answer your convinced is there, the more likely you are to find 1, correct or not. AS brave loves to point out corelation does not nessaeirly mean causation, should I go find the pirates vs global average temp graph again........
        Last edited by mrsleeve; 11-15-2016, 08:53 AM.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
          As farby pointed out just assuming that the cause is us is a bit short sighted when we really have no fucking clue about how the weather works year over year, outside of our own very short time on this ball of dirt. Couple that with accurate record keeping, that dates back to only a couple of decades older than my grandmother..... is bit of a derpy derp, way to go about looking at the problem. Just because there is an "obvious answer" does not mean it's the correct answer, and when your only playing with very limited data points, jumping to the conclusion of "settled science" is a bit like putting blinders on a horse to focus his attention on only what you want him to see. The harder yoi look in 1 place for the answer your convinced is there, the more likely you are to find 1, correct or not. AS brave loves to point out corelation does not nessaeirly mean causation, should I go find the pirates vs global average temp graph again........
          Exactly... long term climate, by many researchers has been related to Chaos Theory... we really can't predict it. Global Warming/Climate Change is just another buzzword that politicians and others with an agenda are using to raise taxes/make money.

Canada is considering a carbon tax starting next year, starting at $10/ton, moving to $50 by 2025. And we produce less than 2% of global emissions... yeah, Canada is gonna save the world, folks! All they're going to do is hit our pocket books even harder.
          Estoguy
          1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
            Canada is considering a carbon tax starting next year, starting at $10/ton, moving to $50 by 2025. And we produce less than 2% of global emissions... yeah, Canada is gonna save the world, folks! All they're going to do is hit our pocket books even harder.
            well if everyone points the finger at everyone else, i'm sure that'll solve the problem quickly. good idea
            past:
            1989 325is (learner shitbox)
            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
            1985 323i baur
            current:
            1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
              well if everyone points the finger at everyone else, i'm sure that'll solve the problem quickly. good idea
              Look, this whole thing is just like trade between nations: if everyone isn't 100% in, it simply doesn't work. And the fact of the matter is, not everyone is in on the Climate Change thing.

Hell, California alone thinks they can save the world and have the most aggressive EPA out there. All it does is line the pockets of politicians, manufacture industries that shouldn't exist, and make life difficult for business owners and consumers.

So unless you are going to go into China with guns to force them to clean up their environment, this is a huge waste of time.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

China actually has more urgency to get its pollution under control than any other country right now. Folks in Beijing can't even walk around outside without wearing face masks. LA back in the early 70s was a lot smoggier than it is today. The river in Cleveland used to catch on fire. These are just a couple of examples where government policy has yielded a positive impact on our environment. Even if global warming doesn't concern you, we still have to breathe air and drink water right now in the present.
                "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm."
                -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Morrison View Post
                  China actually has more urgency to get its pollution under control than any other country right now. Folks in Beijing can't even walk around outside without wearing face masks. LA back in the early 70s was a lot smoggier than it is today. The river in Cleveland used to catch on fire. These are just a couple of examples where government policy has yielded a positive impact on our environment. Even if global warming doesn't concern you, we still have to breathe air and drink water right now in the present.
                  And those things are reasonable to 99% of people but they have nothing to do with climate change either.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in
                    some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce
                    Department yesterday from Consulate at Bergen Norway

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in
                    climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone.

Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm.

Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report
                    continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast
                    shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far
                    north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.

Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

I must apologize.

I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported
                    by the AP and published in The Washington Post - 93 years ago.

This must have been caused by the Model T Ford's emissions or possibly from horse and cattle flatulence?
                    “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

God its such a fucking joke that some of you think this is normal changes in climate.

When the planet was "warming up, and cooling down" thousands (in reality hundreds of thousands to millions) of years ago it wasn't doing it in a fucking century, at the extreme rates its happening at now.

I cant wait for the outrage as many more millions of refugees from the middle east and tropics run to our northern and southern homes to escape massive temperature increases caused by ignoring the signs.
                      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                      willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                        God its such a fucking joke that some of you think this is normal changes in climate.

When the planet was "warming up, and cooling down" thousands (in reality hundreds of thousands to millions) of years ago it wasn't doing it in a fucking century, at the extreme rates its happening at now.

I cant wait for the outrage as many more millions of refugees from the middle east and tropics run to our northern and southern homes to escape massive temperature increases caused by ignoring the signs.
                        They wont be allowed in, thankfully.[emoji41]

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Bro, this is Trumps America. Fuck refugees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

This is a very very false stament that is not even backed up by most of the "settled science" types. In fact there is plenty of Ice core data that predates modern "humans" that show climate can radically shift in a fucking decade let alone centuries
                            Originally posted by Fusion
                            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                            William Pitt-

Comment

Sleeve you cant really talk, you work in the oil industry so you have a huge bias.

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
                                Sleeve you cant really talk, you work in the oil industry so you have a huge bias.
                                You are right, geologists should be ignored, particularly since they are the only ones with hands on actual evidence.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                                X