American Atheists Sue Over World Trade Center Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Atheists Sue Over World Trade Center Cross

An atheist group sued today over the inclusion of cross-shaped steel beams, dubbed the "World Trade Center Cross," in the exhibit at the National September 11th Memorial and Museum.
    Jane Everhart, who is part of the atheist's suit, derided the cross as nothing more than "ugly piece of wreckage" that "does not represent anything … but horror and death."
    Last weekend the 17-foot cross, discovered in the rubble of 9/11, was given a "ceremonial blessing" by the Rev. Brian Jordan, removed from it's temporary post near St. Peter's Church and lowered 70 feet into its permanent home inside the museum.
    But a group identified as American Atheists filed a lawsuit today claiming the inclusion of the cross-shaped steel beams promotes Christianity over all other religions on public property and diminishes the civil rights of non-Christians.
    "The Christian community found a piece of rubble that looked like an icon and they deified it. But really 9/11 had nothing to do with Christianity," said American Atheists president Dave Silverman. "They want a monopoly and we don't want that to happen."
    read more at
    The American Athiests are suing over the World Trade Center cross that has been installed in an exhibit at the National September 11th Memorial and Museum. The president of the organization said, "The Christian community found a piece of rubble that looked like an icon and they deified it. But really 9/11 had nothing to do with Christianity."

discuss.
    AWD > RWD

A cross-shaped piece of steel can only be from divine origin.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Atheist here, and don't care.

Reminds me of Its always sunny in philadelphia when they find the virgin marry stain.
      Last edited by Vince30; 09-07-2011, 11:11 AM.

Comment

^ I'm with this guy, don't really care

Although I can understand why some people are upset about it.

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
          Although I can understand why some people are upset about it.
          I can't.

Another example of people who go out of their way to find something, ANYTHING to be offended/sue about.
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

This is the exact kind of thing we need more of in our court system...and more litigation about old ladies spilling hot coffee in their own laps.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
              ...and more litigation about old ladies spilling hot coffee in their own laps.
              Do some research on that lawsuit.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                Do some research on that lawsuit.

Hot coffee burns whether it's 140* or 180*. Don't put hot coffee between your legs when it can burn you. All common sense.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

tbh, i really dont care.

however, i do think they are in the legal right.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

I can't.

Another example of people who go out of their way to find something, ANYTHING to be offended/sue about.
                    It's blatand favoritism for one religion over others. I personally wouldn't give two shits, but you can't blame people who are offended. If there was no reasonable argument here against it then it wouldn't even have it's day in court...but it will.

Comment

Hot coffee burns whether it's 140* or 180*. Don't put hot coffee between your legs when it can burn you. All common sense.
                      They intentionally brewed and served the coffee at higher than recommended restaurant serving temps, because they wanted to get better extraction from the grinds.

They turned down her very reasonable request for medical costs, so they got sued.

20+ years of idiotic conjecture, misinformation and disingenuous arguments about this case.

Comment

Except that were several cases before this one of people being scalded with serious burns. You act like it was a sunburn.

The pics in court of her legs is what sold the jury.

Cale, you sound like a whiner. Seriously.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Why, because I accept that they have a valid argument? Just because the majority wants something doesn't mean you get to completely ignore the minority who have a reasonable argument. Screw offending people, if you think what you have to say is right then speak the fuck up.

And I support keeping the cross, I'm just not blind to reality.

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
                            Why, because I accept that they have a valid argument? Just because the majority wants something doesn't mean you get to completely ignore the minority who have a reasonable argument. Screw offending people, if you think what you have to say is right then speak the fuck up.

And I support keeping the cross, I'm just not blind to reality.
                            so the majority shouldn't have their voice heard?
                            should we just cater to the minority?
                            Last edited by NKRoberts; 09-07-2011, 01:05 PM.

Vinyl Lettering

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                              They intentionally brewed and served the coffee at higher than recommended restaurant serving temps, because they wanted to get better extraction from the grinds.

They turned down her very reasonable request for medical costs, so they got sued.

20+ years of idiotic conjecture, misinformation and disingenuous arguments about this case.
                              Except that were several cases before this one of people being scalded with serious burns. You act like it was a sunburn.

The pics in court of her legs is what sold the jury.

Cale, you sound like a whiner. Seriously.

Falling from 10 feet=potentially serious injury.
                              Falling from 25 feet=MORE injury (or death).

Doing something ignorant with a well know scalding liquid=stupidity. Frivolous law suit because many people do stupid things with items they are well aware will hurt them.
                              The injuries involved change nothing about the retarded action of the woman. In other words the seriousness of the injury has no bearing on whether it was more or less an ignorant thing to do on the part of the old lady.

Comment

Working...
                              X