Global Warming is over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by decay View Post
    welcome to P&R. i'm happy to discuss, comment on, and encourage people's projects in other sections of the forums, but we don't wear gloves here.
    This. P&R has gone on for ages here. As long as everyone leaves this conversation here and go back to the other sections, to help each other out on our e30's, all is good.

It's actually very healthy to hear both sides IMO. That's why I read Russian Times, BBC, Sky News, CNN and Fox, all of them. I want to hear current events from different facets, than make my own educated decisions.

john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

still waiting on an answer on how population rise directly correlates with carbon output, starting around 1950.
      past:
      1989 325is (learner shitbox)
      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
      1985 323i baur
      current:
      1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

still waiting on an answer on how population rise directly correlates with carbon output, starting around 1950.
        1950, we (humans) ran leaded gasoline in transport. In fact, I remember having to say "unleaded", and you were NOT allowed to touch the pump. Self service gasoline is relatively new. Who here remembers the odd and even license plate gas rations?

​​​
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

I can call my Grammy. She is circa 1936. Her first "near new" car cost her $950.

My pop was extremely happy to be banking $75/wk in 1982

​​
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

arite you got me. i did love reading that "bigdeadplace" blog before the dude monetized it by turning it into a book. but the discussion here is about populations at scale and how that contributes to climate change, not a few villiages like McMurdo on the ice.

having to hike a few more hundred more meters up the hill every year to set another marker must have been some shit, though, so respect for doing that field work.

if you ever get the chance go tour the columbia ice fields.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

if you ever get the chance go tour the columbia ice fields.
              sometime before they disappear and contribute to sea level rise, right?
              past:
              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
              1985 323i baur
              current:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

1950, we (humans) ran leaded gasoline in transport. In fact, I remember having to say "unleaded", and you were NOT allowed to touch the pump. Self service gasoline is relatively new. Who here remembers the odd and even license plate gas rations?

​​​
                i've never had to do that other than the times i stopped through oregon, but i guess that's the part that doesn't suck about california.
                past:
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:

Comment

NJ still has a non self service law.

I'm originally a Masshole, we weren't allowed to pump out own fuel until the mid 80's.

Dude in a grey jumper would come out, fill the tank, wash your windows and check the tires. "Unleaded?" Was the question of the day.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

i hate that those laws exist. they don't address the actual problem.

i still remember how Jordan had just gotten that lachssilber e30 out of paint and some minimum-wage idiot in oregon chipped it at the pump just being clumsy.
                    past:
                    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                    1985 323i baur
                    current:

Comment

There's a lot of laws that make no sense.

Here in FL, seatbelts in cars became mandatory the same year motorcycle helmet law was lifted.

Yeah, you can ride naked, but get a $75 ticket if you don't click it in a 4000 lb car.

john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

There's a lot of laws that make no sense.

Here in FL, seatbelts in cars became mandatory the same year motorcycle helmet law was lifted.

Yeah, you can ride naked, but get a $75 ticket if you don't click it in a 4000 lb car.
                        riding naked is a great way to shorten your lifespan. you can still die if you're ATGATT. just takes one cager not seeing you because at best they're only looking for other cars.
                        past:
                        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                        1985 323i baur
                        current:

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                          We, humans, are smaller than we think.
                          Much smaller. Didn't Hunga Tonga event release something like a year's worth of carbon in 12 hours?
                          Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                          Yup.
                          People forget too that the earth releases carbon naturally on a scale that is hard to comprehend.
                          Nah, nobody is forgetting the natural processes ie volcanic activity; have a little faith that the scientists who aggregate and study geographic and climate data know what they're doing and are accounting for every variable when plugging all the numbers into their fancy super computers.

Your argument about population density or land cover or whatever isn't persuasive at all. Are you saying that only if there were 10? 20? 50? billion people covering 50%+ of earth's surface then you'd concede we're changing earth's climate? Apparently you know what the tipping point regarding earth's surface albedo is - care to share? Or is the earth just completely invulnerable?

It's not like we require 1000 years worth of NASA satellite data before we're allowed to scrutinize and model how our pollution affects the global climate. Bringing up volcano eruptions or other natural processes is a feeble dismissal. I trust that geographers and geologists have thoroughly studied and mapped out earth's history of volcanic activity and determined that volcanos have indeed existed for millennia. However, a billion ICE engines burning fossil fuels never have before, and that's the whole point of all this. We're the new variable in a closed system. The fact that we're essentially at the very beginning of sustained man-made atmospheric pollution, among other things, just doesn't seem to be sinking in for some people. It's just absurd and pathetic how anybody, especially somebody with no expertise in the matter, can boldly claim the insignificance of a new variable being introduced to a closed system. Did you just completely skip every science class in school or what? This is basic stuff.

Sure, there's going to be people playing the catastrophe angle to secure research funds or sell EVs, but who fucking cares? Just do your part and dispose of used engine oil properly instead of dumping it in the woods across the street like my old shop boss used to do.
                          My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post

Just do your part and dispose of used engine oil properly instead of dumping it in the woods across the street like my old shop boss used to do.
                            wow, then he's an asshole and an idiot, because you can sell used engine oil to be processed into diesel fuel for reuse instead of poisoning your local groundwater. example: https://www.wastetireoil.com/Pyrolys..._fuel_787.html
                            past:
                            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                            1985 323i baur
                            current:

Comment

long read here, took me about half an hour, but to touch on a point i made previously:

But more than half of the carbon humanity has exhaled into the atmosphere in its entire history has been emitted in just the past three decades; since the end of World War II, the figure is 85 percent.
                              that tracks with those last two charts i posted about 1950.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017...or-humans.html

unfortunately, the only solution i see is "have less or no kids", and that's just not a reality that's going to happen, especially in less-developed nations where children become a labor force at an early age to support the family and there aren't environmental controls.
                              past:
                              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                              1985 323i baur
                              current:

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                                It's just absurd and pathetic how anybody, especially somebody with no expertise in the matter, can boldly claim the insignificance of a new variable being introduced to a closed system. Did you just completely skip every science class in school or what? This is basic stuff.

Sure, there's going to be people playing the catastrophe angle to secure research funds or sell EVs, but who fucking cares? Just do your part and dispose of used engine oil properly instead of dumping it in the woods across the street like my old shop boss used to do.
                                It's absurd an pathetic when a grown man gets this riled up.. Why don't you calm down?

I'm not trying to persuade anyone- why would I do that? I'm not posting here in hopes to change someone's whole position on climate change. That's would be absurd. I don't give two shits what E30 Wagen on R3v cares.. especially about what I have to say.

You really think that I'm that stupid that I would think scientist would forget to consider volcanic events?

Science has been wrong in the past, why can't you entertain the idea that the current model and interpretation of it be not 100% accurate?

I may not have specific expertise in this field- and you probably don't either, so who are you to come say this is "pathetic" and "absurd?"

I'm not certain about anything on this topic, and if you think that you can say anything with certainty about this topic, you're a fucking retard.

Who gives a fuck what I think?

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                                X