Global Warming is over.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by decay View Post

arite don't take that joke too seriously. i was taking a shot at GM F-bodies; i have a dislike for them, not you. we're both old enough to remember the burt reynolds movie, and your handle has always reminded me of.

scottish on my father's side here, finnish on my mother's.

whiskey has gotten me in some trouble, because to nobody's great surprise i'm a bit of a hothead. i don't touch 40-proof anymore.

if you make it out to the PNW e30 picnic next year, you'll recogn]

Forgive the laziness on the quote,but I hate when pics get quoted lol.

Water on a duck. Words don't really leave scars such as the events in my lifetime. I have the proverbial thick skin, as well as actual thick skin. You work with your hands for 40 years and your fingers get fat, blisters are non-existent from friction, and women say things like "you're a working man!"

My username is because I had a 3rd gen Firebird with a 3.1 V6. It was a lame duck. So I hodge podged a turbo kit together, but didn't know what tuning was about. Yeah, spin a rod bearing, come home after breaking concrete all day,laying on my back, sanding crank journals with shoelace. Go back out, and do it again. Rinse and repeat.

I've semi-retired from racing now. All the events happen on holidays and weekends. I worked at the shop all day, then work all weekend to support my family, even if it meant I had a 2hr stint in a race car. That's out of my system, and my last 2 of 4 kids are about to vacate nest.

Yeah, I am a polluter! Lol,well are.

I never had so much fun in my life as when I was enjoying motorsports. Yet, I drive a 12yr old ICE car that gets 36mpg. It has 270hp/400tq and my other 20yr old car gets 9mpg in the same conditions with 190hp/200tq.

john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

this is where i've gotta disagree with you though. extreme heat cycles directly correlate with extinction events.
      Ahem. The two graphs correlate on timeline, but not on extinction events. Bottom graph is extinction bar graph.

Yes, when we have hot earth, life dwindles, and kinda stays stagnant during cooling periods.

​​​​

john@m20guru.com
      Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

Ahem. The two graphs correlate on timeline, but not on extinction events. Bottom graph is extinction bar graph.

Yes, when we have hot earth, life dwindles, and kinda stays stagnant during cooling periods.

​​​​
        that permian extinction- the one 250m years ago, with the fat red crest in the graph you posted- erased 96% of marine life.

keeping the gloves on this time. brother. are you *sure* you're ready to describe that as "dwindling"?

again, not human-caused, primates didn't exist yet. but we *really* want to stay below that "no polar icecap" line.

i've yet to hear anyone explain how that vertical at the end of the graph *isn't* human-caused, and i've presented data-driven arguments about human population scale and activity on how it might be.

does the fact that we might not be the only cause mean we shouldn't do anything?

is it plausible to say that even if we do, we're fucked as a species anyway? certainly.
        Last edited by decay; 12-06-2022, 09:15 PM.
        past:
        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:
        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Bite taken.

I will never say we don't have an impact on the future.

Will I say humans have a huge impact geologically? From the information I have been fed, along with observation, I say that's highly unlikely.

That saw tooth between 275mysa and 375mya is fairly measurable, if I were to look at a o-scope, or even an IQ test, we would contrive the pattern is going to repeat.

Everything I have observed happens on a cyclical. Personally, I look at science, and if possible, recreate circumstances.

How many of you have actually done the double slit in real life? Demonstrated it to the young'ins many times, both aquatically and with photons.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

One more thought before I sign off. Take this with a grain of salt.

If the double slit experiment shows us how waves of information and/or light, gravity, weak/strong force get amplified with wave function, my little tiny human brain tells me that there will be natural amplifications during occurrence of earth functions.

Perhaps the logic is overriding experience, I can only state on an e30 forum what my experience vs information that was provided. If you have a valid debate, this is the platform, at this moment to discuss at hand.

If you want personal details, my son (second of four) is in welding school and washing dishes to pay for it. He lost 25% of his wages this week due to smashing his finger with a slag chipping hammer at school, he can't wash. If he was actually on a job welding, he would have stayed the day, good welders make 6 figures easily, he is washing dishes for $13/hr and paying for his tech school (we allow free room/board as long as you are in school/tech).

I shoveled concrete in the Florida sun for $4/hr in 1995 and mom charged me $75/wk rent. "Whoa is me".
            Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 12-06-2022, 10:02 PM.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
              You do realize George that your graphic above only comes to the conclusion that there has been cooling in the last 23 years by SELECTIVELY picking 1998 as the year to break up a homogeneous data set in to 2 distinct categories...right? If you applied the same statistical fit model to the entire data set (1983 thru 2012) the global warming would be on the order of >1C, completely nullifying the argument of the idiot who made that graphic.

Splitting the data in to two sets and two trends around the year 1988 was done purely to further the loaded convictions of the person who made it.

Don't believe me? let's try an experiment: I'll pick a totally arbitrary date to split up the data and then I'll look selectively at only the data within that range. Sept '06 through Jan '08. OMG global cooling of over 0.6C! Wow, isn't that amazing! Huge global cooling? All climate scientists are idiots! /sarcasm
              From 2013
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

How many of you have actually done the double slit in real life? Demonstrated it to the young'ins many times, both aquatically and with photons.
                but you changed the results of the experiment by looking at it with your kids! XD

This “temporal interference” technology could be a game-changer in producing time crystals or photon-based quantum computers.

quantum physics is some strange shit i'll never understand. much smarter brains than mine have tried and failed, so i don't feel bad about it.
                past:
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:

Comment

Sounds spooky.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

crustacean

that permian extinction- the one 250m years ago, with the fat red crest in the graph you posted- erased 96% of marine life.

keeping the gloves on this time. brother. are you *sure* you're ready to describe that as "dwindling"?
                    Fat fingers typing on a phone and missed typed "life extinction dwindles", not meaning new life. I stand corrected.

Yes, marine life seems to have trouble absorbing oxygen when water is stagnant (becomes saturated with co2). Same thing happens in our aquariums - water slows down, the life in the tank slows down. Usually can tell when the aerator has malfunctioned by the behavior of the fish before noticing absence of bubbles - I tend to keep a large bio-load in the displayed tanks, so the balance is kinda fragile, even with plants, crustacean, mollusc and controlled algae, water changes are still 2x wk.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

crustacean

Fat fingers typing on a phone and missed typed "life extinction dwindles", not meaning new life. I stand corrected.

Yes, marine life seems to have trouble absorbing oxygen when water is stagnant (becomes saturated with co2). Same thing happens in our aquariums - water slows down, the life in the tank slows down. Usually can tell when the aerator has malfunctioned by the behavior of the fish before noticing absence of bubbles - I tend to keep a large bio-load in the displayed tanks, so the balance is kinda fragile, even with plants, crustacean, mollusc and controlled algae, water changes are still 2x wk.
                      the salient point there is that a huge part of humanity depends on marine life for a food source.

that's why overfishing is a thing- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overfishing which is another example of human activity impacting an ecosystem.

i'm not a marine biologist; if i wanted to be on a boat for months at a time i'd have been a gunner in the navy or coast guard rather than sending myself to the sandbox. fuck that.

but. as a proficient builder and tuner you have to be familiar with the concept of a cascading failure. one problem causes another, or they happen in concert, and outcome is you've got a hole in your block.

marine food stock gets further depleted at the same time that more arable land to grow food on becomes unviable and we're looking at global famine. you and i will probably be okay because third-world countries will be impacted first, but who among us wants to watch people die en masse...
                      past:
                      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                      1985 323i baur
                      current:

Comment

Yes, I am an angler and lived near the oceans all my life. I remember when horseshoe crabs would come marching up on the beach, hundreds of them - haven't seen one in the wild in many years. Mahi Dolphin, Snook, and many other fish have bag/size limits that get tighter every year - look what happened to crab season.

Again, I am not a climate denier, just not convinced humans did it.

do you know who came up with "net zero"? Not who you would think....

✉️ OUR NEWSLETTER: https://www.abundantia.co/📚 OUR COURSE/MEMBERSHIP: http://jointheorder.co/🎫 JOIN OUR CHANNEL (get perks): https://bit.ly/3e1MhsoThis is ...

Fun watch, had this on in the background earlier while writing MS tunes lol. Check out the comments about seawater ph.

This is the story of how we discovered the planet was warming, and why. Learn the building blocks of climate science with Brilliant: https://www.brilliant.or...

john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

NASA, NOAA, IPC, IPCC, CRP, EEA, UNEP, PEMSEA, every major university, every nation that can fund climate research, every environmental scientist, climatologist, meteorologist, and forensic archaeologist... they're all wrong. My mind is thoroughly blown and I feel lost as to what the next steps are. All I know is that, Firebird, we gotta get you in touch with these organizations so that you can explain the facts, make sure they watch these YouTube videos and read the comment sections, and prevent the waste of an untold and unfathomable degree of time and resources. If we hurry, it may not be too late!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexJ View Post
                            NASA, NOAA, IPC, IPCC, CRP, EEA, UNEP, PEMSEA, every major university, every nation that can fund climate research, every environmental scientist, climatologist, meteorologist, and forensic archaeologist... they're all wrong. My mind is thoroughly blown and I feel lost as to what the next steps are. All I know is that, Firebird, we gotta get you in touch with these organizations so that you can explain the facts, make sure they watch these YouTube videos and read the comment sections, and prevent the waste of an untold and unfathomable degree of time and resources. If we hurry, it may not be too late!
                            I am so glad you can use my opinion to even come close to gauging my intelligence! I know what my score is on the dummy test, and where my intelligence stands in relation to the rest of the population. lol

Again, Mr. CNN, where did I claim the planet isn't warming?

You have no idea what I am doing right now, when I watch videos, and frankly it has nothing to do with the conversation. But if it makes you happier, it's $50/hr for me to be sitting at this PC when programming ECU's. Since I can walk and chew gum at the same time, why not write computers while having something play on my other screen, or on the shop radio? To suggest I am not a productive member of society, guess you are entitled to that opinion, but can tell you have no idea.

Did you click on my links? One came from the same freaking source you linked earlier! Haha. No, you didn't because you are just going to keep posting nonsense, try to come up with a way to be passive-aggressive and suggest I'm a fool while avoiding the questions.

The only reason I mentioned the comment on youtube was because I opened the page to post the link, and it was right there, first post.

Again, now that you have beat around the bush, show me proof that the planet wouldn't be warming naturally if humans weren't here?

Are you going to tell me that the planet is naturally ice capped based on our understanding of the glacial procession, or could possibly, just maybe that it was already trending?

And you do know science is forever evolving, right? If science was fact, we would still be the center of the solar system, doctors would be putting leeches on you, and people would still be getting lobotomies.

john@m20guru.com
                            Links:

Comment

You have some hang-ups, my guy. I didn't call you dumb or lazy or even imply such.

Arguing against the substantial role played by humans in impacting the climate is arguing against all peer-reviewed findings on the matter. If this isn't foolish, then it's tragically arrogant, at the very least.

Science evolves, huh? Jeez Louise. Well, thanks for the heads-up. I'll be sure to keep it in mind. To pay the favor back, let me recommend that you never hold your breath waiting for the climate compendium to be turned on it's head. Science is iteration, a never-ending line of small confirmations and denials, of confidence-building and second-guessing. How much time, energy and resources are put into gathering that first bit of knowledge? How much more before it's accepted among one's peers? How much more until the entire field is wlling to hang their collective reputations on it's veracity? How much more for all fields adjacent? How much more for the entire civilized world? How many times do various, independent developed models have to reach the same conclusions? You'd think everyone just woke up one morning and all coincidentally decided to believe in the same lie. That you know better because they don't know what they're doing at all.

Get real.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexJ View Post
                                You have some hang-ups, my guy. I didn't call you dumb or lazy or even imply such.

Arguing against the substantial role played by humans in impacting the climate is arguing against all peer-reviewed findings on the matter. If this isn't foolish, then it's tragically arrogant, at the very least.

Science evolves, huh? Jeez Louise. Well, thanks for the heads-up. I'll be sure to keep it in mind. To pay the favor back, let me recommend that you never hold your breath waiting for the climate compendium to be turned on it's head. Science is iteration, a never-ending line of small confirmations and denials, of confidence-building and second-guessing. How much time, energy and resources are put into gathering that first bit of knowledge? How much more before it's accepted among one's peers? How much more until the entire field is wlling to hang their collective reputations on it's veracity? How much more for all fields adjacent? How much more for the entire civilized world? How many times do various, independent developed models have to reach the same conclusions? You'd think everyone just woke up one morning and all coincidentally decided to believe in the same lie. That you know better because they don't know what they're doing at all.

Get real.
                                Bruh, you're an NPC

Can't even have a conversation about this topic without being a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.

Remember when doctors used to recommend one brand of cigarettes vs another because they were 'healthier?' You probably would have believed that.

You are incapable of even addressing some of Forced's points, because you're too flustered that someone doesn't sip on the same juice as you. Is it too much to handle that some people don't flick the TV on and take everything said at surface value like you do- only assuming. Is it bizarre to think for yourself?

I think you should give it a shot.

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                                X