Obama will veto anti-net neutrality legislation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obama will veto anti-net neutrality legislation

The White House said Tuesday President Barack Obama likely would veto legislation unwinding net-neutrality rules the Federal Communications commission adopted last year. The Senate is expected to vote within days.

Finally, he gets something right. The internet was funded and developed by DARPA, a US Government agency. It belongs to us, the people of the United States and the world. It does not belong to corporations to manipulate and restrict for their own financial gain. It needs to stay open and free otherwise it will be the next cable television with shitty content, overpriced subscription fees and bloated with advertising.

good quote from one of the posters on wired: words /= action.

Comment

He's simply looking for votes. Trying to look more friendly than he has been.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

^

That is about the size of it, but this is something I think I can support his action on
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
          He's simply looking for votes. Trying to look more friendly than he has been.
          if he is doing what i want him to do, i dont care about his reasons.

you have an invalid argument, sir.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post

That's what I was thinking.

And saying "X politician is only doing Y for votes," well, that's just STUNNINGLY INSIGHTFUL commentary.
            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

If politicians only made decisions based on getting votes then we would probably have a decently run government.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                ^

That is about the size of it, but this is something I think I can support his action on

If you want to look at it that way. But we both know he still wants that control. So there's no fucking way i support him on it because I know better.

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post

So if the guy goes right back to wanting control of the net (if he gets reelected) that's all cool by you? See you missed it again.
                He still wants it but because he knows the election is coming he wants to seem more buddy buddy with being less of the dictator he has been being. It's called PR for a reason. It's false hope. I don't start supporting a guy because he *has* to change the way he has been being because he wants to seem more friendly just so he can get elected.

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                That's what I was thinking.

And saying "X politician is only doing Y for votes," well, that's just STUNNINGLY INSIGHTFUL commentary.

Typical from a guy that has a limited spectrum of thinking.

Originally posted by pureaudio View Post
                If politicians only made decisions based on getting votes then we would probably have a decently run government.

Maybe better, but we'd probably have Jerry Springer as President as well. Americans voted in Obama...that's a clear sign the *average* American can't think beyond a campaign slogan and a false promise. Same goes for many Republicans.
                Last edited by joshh; 11-09-2011, 10:43 PM.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

I would also like to see him take a stance of outright veto on the current SOPA/PROTECT IP legislation, which is to date the scariest peice of work that the RIAA/MPAA has managed to buy in.
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
                  If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                    I would also like to see him take a stance of outright veto on the current SOPA/PROTECT IP legislation, which is to date the scariest peice of work that the RIAA/MPAA has managed to buy in.
                    No way, Biden has been busy polishing their knobs for years now. Last thing Obama needs is for Biden to do any more public speaking.

Comment

yeah really.
                      Well, betwen SOPA and E-PARASITE, enough IT companies are making noise against it to hopefully nuke it off the map. Collectively they make more $ and employ more people than the recording industry. And they have a solid argument for how badly this will affect jobs out there.

We can only prey that the recording and movie publishers run out of money before any of this garbage gets passed. I still can't beleive they really think piracy is the main problem, or that anything but better service and better prices would reduce it. Artists are doing great without them.
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
                      If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by pureaudio View Post
                        And thats the cold hard truth.

/thread

Comment

Originally posted by LBJefferies View Post
                          http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...le+Feedfetcher

Finally, he gets something right. The internet was funded and developed by DARPA, a US Government agency. It belongs to us, the people of the United States and the world. It does not belong to corporations to manipulate and restrict for their own financial gain. It needs to stay open and free otherwise it will be the next cable television with shitty content, overpriced subscription fees and bloated with advertising.
                          While I support net neutrality your comment is completely wrong and ignorant. The govt (and colleges) created the fundamentals but they no longer have a hand in any of it other than regulation. Companies like Sprint own the fiber carrying the information of the world and others create the content. The internet is no difference from cable TV, telephone, etc.

I think the regulations in themselves are bullshit but then again they should be raping companies like Comcast because they have artificially created regional/local monopolies.
                          Im now E30less.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                            And thats the cold hard truth.

/thread
                            that it is but its the getting votes part when they promise give the most shit away is why they get the votes. And there for we have the system we have. Your liberal idealism is showing though a little bit

Please see my sig for further insight
                            Originally posted by Fusion
                            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                            William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
                              If you want to look at it that way. But we both know he still wants that control. So there's no fucking way i support him on it because I know better.
                              you are insane.

you are almost as bad as that "IM SHURE OF MYSELF" guy. jimjim69 or whatever his name is.
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                              X