Is there a god?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • cale
    replied
    It's just not worth my time being here, that's what happened. I'm just a better person for not being religious, and it's clearly a decision I've been able to make thanks to my superior intellect.

    Leave a comment:


  • mar1t1me
    replied
    Originally posted by LBJefferies
    Faith is belief without reason or evidence. It has nothing to do with personal experiences or what works for you. In fact, faith is in direct opposition to personal experience much of the time. Faith teaches you to stubbornly hold on to outdated beliefs even in the face of contradictory evidence. I don't see what is so good about faith and while people hold it in such high regard. It's nothing to brag about if you ask me.
    I have to agree. Faith, especially blind, dogmatic faith is an ironic gift to offer to the creator of human intelligence.

    Leave a comment:


  • u3b3rg33k
    replied
    This thread is far too civil for my tastes. What didn't happen?

    Leave a comment:


  • frankenbeemer
    replied
    I find myself in agreement with HOlmes *and* mrsleeve. Woe is me.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve
    h0mes you have come a ways into the conservative fray but you cant be a conservative and endorse both the scotus ruling or the law, its counter to everything we believe in
    I am going to respond to your post in the health care debate thread.

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    h0mes you have come a ways into the conservative fray but you cant be a conservative and endorse both the scotus ruling or the law, its counter to everything we believe in


    AS to faith, you have to take some of the science on faith as well, yeah it makes sense to you me and many others, I agree with that. But its still a personal choice based on our experience and what works for us in our own minds and lives. Just like faith in a deity brings comfort and understanding to others minds. The difference is I have grown up and learned to accept others will believe differently than me. One of the core founding principals of this country
    Last edited by mrsleeve; 06-30-2012, 05:47 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve
    give that law 10 years, you may be eating those words
    It's not perfect. No law or regulation is perfect. But like I said previously, more people are going to get medical care and less people are going to die. That outweighs all the other concerns. I hold that in higher regard than my personal beliefs in free market capitalism. Regardless, there is still plenty of room for the free market to breathe.

    You're crazy if you believe that in 10-20 years people are going to be saying "gee, I wish my health insurance company could still deny me and my friends for our preexisting medical conditions. We had it so good before 2012." Give me a break Sleeve. The core provisions of this law will be a given from here on out. They won't be questioned.
    Last edited by LBJefferies; 06-30-2012, 05:37 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Cliche Guevara
    replied
    Originally posted by LBJefferies
    Faith is belief without reason or evidence. It has nothing to do with personal experiences or what works for you. In fact, faith is in direct opposition to personal experience much of the time. Faith teaches you to stubbornly hold on to outdated beliefs even in the face of contradictory evidence. I don't see what is so good about faith and while people hold it in such high regard. It's nothing to brag about if you ask me.
    Had you not gotten to this before me my response would be exactly the same.

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    give that law 10 years, you may be eating those words

    You seem to be mistaking me for a man of religion, I assure you I am not. Its just not my place to tell others they are wrong, and am not as militant about it like you are, I used to be the very same way I grew up.

    You still dont seem to grasp the true implications of the SCOUTS ruling. But thats not for this thread
    Last edited by mrsleeve; 06-30-2012, 05:39 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Here are some lowlife scumbags praying for the health care law to be found unconstitutional. Good thing prayer is worthless.

    Leave a comment:


  • LBJefferies
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve
    Faith is about personal beliefs and your own experiences, and what works for you.
    Faith is belief without reason or evidence. It has nothing to do with personal experiences or what works for you. In fact, faith is in direct opposition to personal experience much of the time. Faith teaches you to stubbornly hold on to outdated beliefs even in the face of contradictory evidence. I don't see what is so good about faith and while people hold it in such high regard. It's nothing to brag about if you ask me.

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    religion is about power and control over the masses

    Faith is about personal beliefs and your own experiences, and what works for you.


    Sadly all of you guys on both sides seem to be missing these points

    Leave a comment:


  • tttoon
    replied
    I don't see why we need a god, I don't see any evidence of any supernatural existance, so no. I think god is something man-created, used to slow down evolution in many different ways.

    Leave a comment:


  • frankenbeemer
    replied
    Originally posted by Rsully70sev
    Another part of my beliefs, is do your thing bro. I don't hate on atheist or people who believe in another religion. I'm just saying for me, it's a good moral guideline, how can you dispute it. Just read the 10 commandments and other beliefs. Where would I be without Catholicism, possibly the same exact place? It also goes by the morals inflicted by my uprising and my parents, some people don't have that opportunity so they look to religion for guidance. I can't answer where I would be, who knows...

    inflictedpast participle, past tense of in·flict (Verb)


    Verb:
    • Cause (something unpleasant or painful) to be suffered by someone or something: "inflict injuries on".
    • Impose something unwelcome on: "he inflicts his beliefs on everyone".
    Is that what you meant?

    Leave a comment:


  • nates 87 325is
    replied
    For every argument from a beliver, a non beliver can turn it around, Which will make this a never ending argument.
    But I really know nothing about god, and have no interest in learning anything about him/her/it.
    All I know is half the horror movies iv seen have been about some crazy religious people totally fucking other peoples lifes up.

    Leave a comment:

Working...