Where do you get your news?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you get your news?

Out of curiosity what's your news source? I listen to NPR specifically the Diane Rhemes show and find it very enlightening and a higher level of intelligent discussion compared to every other punditry circle.

My coworker has transformed from a Bush loving republican conservative to an independent disgusted with both parties. The only difference I see is that he started listening to NPR and the Daily Show on a regular basis for the past couple years instead of Fox and Rush. We can actually have intelligent discussions now instead of listening to him spout off sound bites he heard from some news pundit.
    sigpic

I refuse to watch or listen to any form of corporate news outlet. I get what I want from the Internet, and do research myself on items that pique my interest. Never trust some other asshole to tell you what you need to know, all you will get is their biases and feelings on the issue at hand. Research and make up your own damn minds
    I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
      I refuse to watch or listen to any form of corporate news outlet. I get what I want from the Internet, and do research myself on items that pique my interest. Never trust some other asshole to tell you what you need to know, all you will get is their biases and feelings on the issue at hand. Research and make up your own damn minds
      So are you saying you don't listen to news or the news you get is from the Internet? I don't see how internet news would be better and unbiased. Or do you mean you just don't listen to punditry and discussions about news?
      sigpic

Comment

wtf I don't get it. There are other news sources apart from this subforum?

Comment

i make my own shit up

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
            i make my own shit up
            more relevant than corporate news :p

Comment

Originally posted by herbivor View Post
              So are you saying you don't listen to news or the news you get is from the Internet? I don't see how internet news would be better and unbiased. Or do you mean you just don't listen to punditry and discussions about news?
              I agree that internet sources aren't necessarily any more or less biased than TV stations or radio stations - simply because any source could be biased. BUT... on the internet, say for example you find a link to a news article on an aggregator such as reddit (or even r3v!) that allows user discussion. Then at least the validity of the article can be openly criticized by anyone and there can be discussion on it by many people, which you can take as you want, but it sure is a lot better then no second opinions and forum for discussion with watching TV news. It allows the news to be criticized and discussed by the public as opposed to just you sitting there in front of the TV only hearing it from a reporter with no other person to criticize it but yourself. Maybe there was a key part that they left out on purpose but other people know about it, you might see that in a discussion but not from the article or news report.
              Also, a lot of times a big story simply won't get to the news at all (people in high positions influencing media) but some smaller non-corrupt news website will get it.

There are many reasons why the internet is a better place for news, mainly because it's uncensored and open to the public and billions of voices with little to no entry cost; unlike newspaper, TV, or radio station which are controlled by a select few in high positions and require lots of money to run.
              Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

I get my news from the most reputable source, the immediate world around me.

Oh and carrier pidgeons.
                1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Telegraph.uk, BBC, WSJ, Forbes, Financial Times, Yahoo (AP), ABC...........that's where a lot of it comes from.

I also check Drudge to see what is trending.
                  Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                  Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                  One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I check r3v OT posts from our resident conservatives and immediately assume the opposite is true.

Comment

Originally posted by herbivor View Post

I refuse to listen to punditry and rigged discussion on any given subject. By using internet outlets for news, I can discern what I would like to learn more about, and SEARCH FOR IT, getting both sides of the coin in most cases. the one thing that someone else talking about it will NEVER give you. all people possess bias, and that does come through in discussion.
                      I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Listen to NPR occasionally. For the Internet abovetopsecret. Take what you see with a grain of salt without proof as far as other stuff goes. But current events and news are pretty much on point.
                        Last edited by kwill22; 07-18-2012, 01:18 PM.
                        DENY IGNORANCE!
                        Schwarz 325-totaled
                        brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
                        don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

The Onion and the Sunday NY Times.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by JinormusJ
                          Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
                          1989 325is Raged on then sold.
                          1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
                          1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
                          1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

reddit.
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

glenn beck for historical perspective, with a grain of salt.
                              i know i'll catch flak for this but he's very good on history
                              “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X