School me on obamacare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    A while back Obama made a speech at some campaign fundraiser where he said something along the lines of "If you're a small business owner, you didn't build that. Someone else built it for you". That really isn't true at all. I know plenty of small business owners and they all work very, very hard. They put their financial lives on the line to start and run a business, take a big risk doing it and put in very long hours to make their dreams come true.
    You've been a victim of the relentless right-wing misinformation machine. He never said that they didn't build their businesses. He just didn't. Here's what Romney and the right-wingers have been showing on loop and here's what he actually said, in context. When he said "you didn't build that," he was referring to the aforementioned infrastructure, school system, etc that make successful businesses possible in America. Context is always important and you should never form an opinion about any single statement without first putting it in proper context.

Carry on.

Comment

dude, romney/ryan dont care about context whatsoever.

they are perfectly content with flat out lying as we've seen over the last few days/months.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

A while back Obama made a speech at some campaign fundraiser where he said something along the lines of "If you're a small business owner, you didn't build that. Someone else built it for you". That really isn't true at all. I know plenty of small business owners and they all work very, very hard. They put their financial lives on the line to start and run a business, take a big risk doing it and put in very long hours to make their dreams come true.
        Holy fuck! This again? I can't believe people don't dig deeper than the sound bite.....

Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business—you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen.

That Romney is still hammering away at this is beyond disingenuous.

That being said, no one has ever "done it alone". The roads your raw materials arrive on and your finished goods ship out on, the education of your workers, the police and firemen who keep you safe, the sewers that take away your poo, etc... all are paid for by public $. No one can truly build a small business "all by themselves", but they certainly do a shit ton of work.
        I appreciate your getting that part right. Obama got it right, but just like the third graders who play the "under where?" to get other kids to say "underwear" and then gleefully chatter "haaahaaaahaaa you said underwear..." the GOP can play it louder and longer....

EDIT: I see someone else already mentioned this.......sorry for doubling down.

Comment

Originally posted by mar1t1me View Post
          Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business—you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen.
          That's the problem... it really does sound (even when taken in full context) like he is saying that those who built their businesses did not build them. He phrased it incredibly poorly. No wonder people jumped on it. Believe it or not I had heard the full speech and read the transcript weeks ago when it happened, and to me it sounds like he's referring to the businesses themselves, not to the infrastructure system. Poor choice of words :/

Comment

That's the problem... it really does sound (even when taken in full context) like he is saying that those who built their businesses did not build them. He phrased it incredibly poorly. No wonder people jumped on it. Believe it or not I had heard the full speech and read the transcript weeks ago when it happened, and to me it sounds like he's referring to the businesses themselves, not to the infrastructure system. Poor choice of words :/
            It most certainly was a poor choice of words and it's good that you acknowledge that. That's all it was, though. To extrapolate anything further from it is inaccurate at best, disingenuous at worst.

Comment

How is it even relevant though?
              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                You disgust me...... I am glad your still alive, but your entitlement mentality sickens me. I don't know all the particulars to your situation, but from the little blurb you gave me.
                I'm going to give you a better description of my situation, and when I'm done, I want you to honestly tell me I'm a little entitled liberal asshole, as you seem to think I am. If that's really what you believe, okay, that's your deal.

I've fought off cancer twice. The first time, I was diagnosed when I was 16. It wasn't life threatening (well, it was, but my chances of survival was very high), but it took a long time to eradicate. I wasn't in remission until 22. Once you get cancer, its nearly impossible to change policies or find a new one, you become uninsurable. I was covered under my parents plan until I was 24. I was diagnosed with cancer round 2 when I was 23. I'm 25 now, and cancer free. It took a radical, rare, and advanced procedure to save my life.

I have been financially independent since I was 18 (actually, well before that, but I didn't start paying rent until I turned 18 and found my own place, so that doesn't count), I paid my way through a top tier college and grad school. I've worked almost full time since I graduated high school. I'm in one of, if not the, highest tax brackets, I make good money. Even with my insurance paying large chunks of my medical bills, the last round of cancer cost me over $700,000. It will take me a few years to pay it off, but I'll get there. I pay for my girlfriends health insurance.

You may be "glad I'm alive," but you want want me to feel guilty that I required a law to be passed to keep me that way. I'm not. Do I like the ACA? Yes. Is it perfect? Hell no. I wish we could have true universal healthcare, but the right stonewalled it. Moving to Canada or the UK was seriously considered, as a necessity to save my life.

America should lead, we should have a glorious, all encompassing health care system. Medical bankruptcies should not exist, nor should anyone ever have to worry about receiving kind, compassionate, and top flight care. Doctors and medical science should never worry about funding, they should be rock stars.

Comment

sleeve is a douche, don't let him get to you.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                    sleeve is a douche, don't let him get to you.
                    He apologized via PM, I'm not holding any grudges. Everyone has an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliche Guevara View Post
                      It most certainly was a poor choice of words and it's good that you acknowledge that. That's all it was, though. To extrapolate anything further from it is inaccurate at best, disingenuous at worst.
                      Unfortunately its done from all sides. Every stupid little thing you say, no matter how ancillary, is analyzed to all hell. Just like Romney's "I like being able to fire people" comment. His was purely in the context of being able to change doctors/insurers but every liberal on the planet used it as evidence that he jacked off while laying people off at Bain.
                      Im now E30less.
                      sigpic

Comment

I like that no one has been able to explain away that ALL of us get to use those public benefits.
                        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Why do you guys think that healthcare is currently as expensive as it is?
                          "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by Turf1600 View Post
                            Why do you guys think that healthcare is currently as expensive as it is?
                            Because its a crock of economic and financial bullshit mixed with politics.....

For me and my daughter health care is cheap, for my brother and my mom's boss absolutely not. I have great health and cheap insurance. My brother had maxed out his out of pocket in six months. My mom's bosses insurance is 900 a month. Both of them have medical conditions related to genetics nothing to poor diet or terrible life decisions.

Does it make financial and economic sense that they are expensive to insure, yes. Does it make financial sense to both of them to just die, yes.

I'll let my brother figure out if he wants to live or die, but at some point he may just die but only after he is bankrupt because his medicine and doctors cost twice as much in Colorado as they did in Arizona.
                            1985 BMW 325e
                            1997 BMW M3/4/5
                            2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

move to canada?
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by e30e View Post
                                Because its a crock of economic and financial bullshit mixed with politics.....

For me and my daughter health care is cheap, for my brother and my mom's boss absolutely not. I have great health and cheap insurance. My brother had maxed out his out of pocket in six months. My mom's bosses insurance is 900 a month. Both of them have medical conditions related to genetics nothing to poor diet or terrible life decisions.

Does it make financial and economic sense that they are expensive to insure, yes. Does it make financial sense to both of them to just die, yes.

I'll let my brother figure out if he wants to live or die, but at some point he may just die but only after he is bankrupt because his medicine and doctors cost twice as much in Colorado as they did in Arizona.
                                I'm not asking why on a personal level. You are a hospital. Why must you charge so much?
                                "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Working...
                                X