$770 Million from State Department for 'Mosque Makeovers'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
    Absolutely sickening... discuss your thoughts of the US funding these projects overseas while Americans at home are struggling and are on the hook to pay for this?

you don't suppose that most of that money is coming back to America, via construction material purchases, American contracting companies, architects, engineering firms, or the like?

don't be so dense. what's more sickening is the wads of cash we've blown on bombing those places in the past decades.

Comment

^
      Um you are aware lots of other countries have their own engineers and contractors. Dont be so quick to defend

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
      Federal Spending is around $4T (can't remember exactly off the top of my head). 0.1% of $4T is $4B, which is about the total amount we spend on foreign aid each year.

Which we barrow 46% of. Your a spread the weath kinda guy. wouldn't you rater see that 3/4 of a billion dollars given to those in need here in the states. Thats 15.4 million if divided equally among the states. Since after all its all of our money and we are the ones that are going to have to pay the interest on all of that debt.

Its like borrowing 100 grand on your credit card and giving it to the people on TV late night for the Christians child fund. Then handing the Credit card bill to your neighbors, your kids, and your neighbors kids.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

'merica.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
        my feedback thread

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
          ^
          Um you are aware lots of other countries have their own engineers and contractors. Dont be so quick to defend

yes. but you don't suppose that those that dole out the money have any say as to whose hands it ends up in? don't be so quick to condemn.

Comment

you guys get all bent up about the $4 billion we give out in aide, but the trillions we spent on 2 completely pointless wars that probably created even more enemies, terrorists and instability than we started with are A-OK right?

$4 billion is a pittance when our congressmen wipe their asses in $10000 bills.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Conservatives will always hate foreign aid because they hate foreigners. They think that Americans are superior to all others and we need only look inward, never outward. Preventing malaria? Not important. Saving children from malnutrition? Who cares. Eradicating polio? Whatever. We're the greatest country on earth so why bother helping anyone else.

Comment

Conservatives will always hate foreign aid because they hate foreigners. They think that Americans are superior to all others and we need only look inward, never outward. Preventing malaria? Not important. Saving children from malnutrition? Who cares. Eradicating polio? Whatever. We're the greatest country on earth so why bother helping anyone else.
                That's a very left wing statement. I consider myself a conservative and I don't hate foreigners. More so I hate the people who move to this country and live off the system. Also we can't solve everyone's problems. People have been getting sick and dying for a long time, there will be more people who die and there will be more disease. That's life, I don't think we should just be giving out that money like we do.
                HIT A LIL' NIGGA WITH A FREEZE POP

Originally posted by MÄDDNESSS
                i punched my boss last tuesday. so he fired me... waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.

Comment

the conservatives have this idea that we live in a bubble and things like disease, poverty and malnutrician have no affect on us, which is absurd.

What would be better? Africa with an educated, healthy population that we could trade with or a continent filled with warlords and starving kids who are likely to die before they turn 40?
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                    Which we barrow 46% of. Your a spread the weath kinda guy. wouldn't you rater see that 3/4 of a billion dollars given to those in need here in the states. Thats 15.4 million if divided equally among the states. Since after all its all of our money and we are the ones that are going to have to pay the interest on all of that debt.
                    so you're saying we should increase state spending by $750M?

Comment

Facts are nice. I like facts.

"Many readers also asked us about U.S. funding of mosque restoration after an Atlanta television news station, WSB-TV, reported in November that "the State Department is sending hundreds of millions of dollars to save mosques overseas." News anchor Justin Farmer said that the State Department’s Agency for International Development gave money to mosques in Cairo, Cyprus, Tajikistan and Mali. He said that the money given to the Cairo mosque was "part of" a $770 million program to fix the city’s sewer system.

We spoke with a USAID official, who told us that the Cairo sewer project, which did total about $770 million, began in 1984 and ended in 2006. It was a major undertaking that wasn’t specifically directed to the mosque, though about $2.3 million was used "to help lower the groundwater at the mosque area, replacing the old sewage collector, and providing a healthier environment for people living in the area,"

I don't think the Christian Right will ever stop trying to connect Obama to Islam in a way that makes their delusions line up with the pablum Fox News feeds them. They complain bitterly about these kinds of projects, yet are happy to support billions of dollars per year sent to Israel.

BTW, to put this in perspective, if GE actually paid even 5% income tax (instead of having a "negative tax rate") on it's 2008-2011 profits, it would amount to more revenue than this program cost over 22 years. And that's only one company....
                      Last edited by mar1t1me; 12-20-2012, 11:51 AM.

Comment

pffft, "facts" have a left wing bias, dontchaknow
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by mar1t1me View Post
                          BTW, to put this in perspective, if GE actually paid even 5% income tax (instead of having a "negative tax rate") on it's 2008-2011 profits..

But corporations don't pay taxes, they just pass the costs down to consumers!

Comment

they dont?^
                            1991 318is ---230K - DD
                            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Well personally I think we should go back to isolationism. Pull all our troops out and cut all funding. Focus all our power and money on fixing America, building a functional education system, healthcare system, and manufacturing infrastructure. But thats a pipe dream.
                              Some of you guys have to look at this on a larger more global power struggle type scale. These wars are not so much about global terrorism and/or religion. Those are all side notes and distractions.
                              They are more about American interests, oil, water, business, and a global power struggles between Russia/China and the western countries. Its all a huge game of thrones, which countries can position them selves in the best strategic positions for the future to be able to control populations, business deals, and consumable resources.
                              As fare as the middle east goes, stating that they choose to live in a back wards society is a bit ignorant. Western powers have been ripping the middle east a new one ever sins WWI. Many of the inter-tribal/religious disputes between groups like Shia and Sunni can be traced back to countries like the England, and France (League of Nations) reorganizing countries and Muslim communities that have never gotten along. Mainly Syria and modern day Iraq. This is when many of the Islamic nationalist movements began. This was a thinly disguised form of colonialism.
                              So there is a very long history of western involvement and Arabic resistance in Syria, Iraq and other countries along with deep seated inter-tribal and religious conflicts caused by the reorganization of the Middle East after WWI.
                              What is happening now in these countries is really just a continuance of what took place after WWI, with many new and modern social, political, and economic power struggles in the mix.
                              If you study history closely you will find that many of the problems countries like America find them selves in are caused by passed foreign policy. We gave Saddam Hussein weapons to fight Iran and head off Russian attempts to gain favor with Saddam. We gave Iran weapons to over throw their own government. We gave the Taliban weapons to fight the Russians. We now have armed conflict with all these groups and countries.
                              sigpic
                              "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

wow, a little far fetched, eh? i'm a conservative and i have to disagree 100% with you. i can say the same thing about some of my liberal friends. so does that make them conservatives too then?

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                the conservatives have this idea that we live in a bubble and things like disease, poverty and malnutrician have no affect on us, which is absurd.

What would be better? Africa with an educated, healthy population that we could trade with or a continent filled with warlords and starving kids who are likely to die before they turn 40?
                                also an absurd, ignorant comment. don't classify everyone as this. the same can be said about any other party.

i can't stand that the media brainwashes this country into thinking that. that is the reason i won't flip that television on.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
                                my feedback thread

Comment

Working...
                                X