X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrsleeve
    replied
    about like the war on drugs.

this is why I say you cant just throw money at this kind of problem and expect it to fix it self and go away.

Leave a comment:

• z31maniac
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    I think having access to potable water and sanitation are things that enable opportunity on a basic level, dont you?
    This is true, but how has the Dem's "War Against Poverty" played out since the 60s?

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    When you have a million people shitting in a hole, it sort of leads to untreated sewage contaminating the water.

I dont think that equates itself with a "throne". Just some way to collect and treat raw sewage, prevent it from contaminating the drinking water, and yes, providing running water. again practically stone age technologies..

Leave a comment:

• Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    ^So do you feel the hole in the floor system is sufficient (Squat toilet), or are you thinking they need running hot and cold water, a antimicrobial hand wash, two-ply, and a porcelain throne, a locking door and reading materials?

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Just imagine your life consisted of trying to find clean water as priority #1. That doesn't leave a lot of free time for ideas and innovations.. Humans can't live long without water.

Hell having a saitation system dates back at least to roman times, that some places are a couple thousand years behind in basic aspects is pretty sad, especially given how relatively inexpensive it is to build sewers compared to bombing people who have no access to these basic services.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    I dont disagree with that

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    I think having access to potable water and sanitation are things that enable opportunity on a basic level, dont you?

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    you cant lift people out of poverty, you can only give them the opportunity to lift them selves out of it. This is one of those things where here you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink. Or you cant help someone who is not willing to help them selves. Just throwing money at them is not good at doing either of those things

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    You're right, we should probably spend another $2-3 trillion invading other countries instead. that always seems to have more favorable outcomes than attempting to lift people out of poverty.

Leave a comment:

• Dozyproductions
    replied
    maybe I should point this out AGAIN since nobody bothers to read.

the $770m went to a SEWER PROJECT. it wasn't for painting mosques. yeah, mosques have sewer systems so they were "part" of the project, but $770m wasn't spent to paint mosques.

also, like I said, our congressmen wipe their asses in $10,000 bills. $770m is nothing to them.
    That's not the point. Any money for foreign aid shouldn't happen in the first place. That your money and mine. Combine your point with sleeve's and you have the fuller scope of the problem. Imagine if we didn't give South America all that "aid".

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    In Qatar most defiantly not, just about like going to the UAE or visiting the Saudis. Your also about 15 feet from the 5th fleet lol.

Yes your arab friend has a good point, why didnt that 770m we are discussing go to scholarships so people here can go to college rather than to slather some new paint on some mosques somewhere else in the world. Was the other 21b we gave away in Aid not enough already???

While I support Israel and all, and since they are an ALLY funding for them should be a little more carefully considered but I would not endorse jerking the rug totally, we should let that dog off of its chain and see where that goes.
    maybe I should point this out AGAIN since nobody bothers to read.

the $770m went to a SEWER PROJECT. it wasn't for painting mosques. yeah, mosques have sewer systems so they were "part" of the project, but $770m wasn't spent to paint mosques.

also, like I said, our congressmen wipe their asses in $10,000 bills. $770m is nothing to them.

Leave a comment:

• Dozyproductions
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    In Qatar most defiantly not, just about like going to the UAE or visiting the Saudis. Your also about 15 feet from the 5th fleet lol.

Yes your arab friend has a good point, why didnt that 770m we are discussing go to scholarships so people here can go to college rather than to slather some new paint on some mosques somewhere else in the world. Was the other 21b we gave away in Aid not enough already???

While I support Israel and all, and since they are an ALLY funding for them should be a little more carefully considered but I would not endorse jerking the rug totally, we should let that dog off of its chain and see where that goes.

They say they dont want our help. Why do we have to consider anything unless you're all for being that dysfunctional parent that gives their asshole kid more money to fix the problem.

Leave a comment:

• ethrtyiS
    replied
    lol, okay. I think maybe you got that backwards. The topic of this very thread is a good example.

I'm open to read if you want to back up your statements.
    definitely not backwards. it's been all over the news how us conservatives/republicans/tea baggers are reacist and a bunch of bigots.

not sure why one can't just simply enter "which political party is more charitable" into google, but if you insist...

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    red state, blue state top 8 state, bottom 7 state

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    lol, okay. I think maybe you got that backwards. The topic of this very thread is a good example.

I'm open to read if you want to back up your statements.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X