No announcement yet.

Global Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

perhaps our in-house Dane wannabe herbivor may want to rethink relocation to the "green science" land of Denmark. apparently there is no 97% consensus there LOL.

and who could've noze it may be the sun??

“There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

So a link to an anti-science blog, with a screenshot of a newspaper in another lanquage, which happens to be run by one of Denmark's biggest climate deniers?

Is that really the best evidence you can find?
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
        perhaps our in-house Dane wannabe herbivor may want to rethink relocation to the "green science" land of Denmark. apparently there is no 97% consensus there LOL.

and who could've noze it may be the sun??

http://notrickszone.com/2013/08/09/m...-consequences/
        I'm pretty sure anyone actually interested in the science is well aware that the sun is a primary input to global temperature. It's been mentioned the reduced solar activity over the last few years countless times on the forum (mostly because I requote it every time you make a 15 years without global warming argument). It is in fact the sun that radiates the atmosphere and is what GHGs trap.

The long story short is that if the solar input is less, then of course the amount of energy stored in the system will slow, if not potentially reduce.

But that doesn't mean the science behind how heat works and how GHGs affect global temperature is wrong. The science behind the concern that GHGs and humans influence the climate is explaining how change occurs OUTSIDE of other known influences, such as the sun.

Who knows what Sunspot Cycle 25 will bring?

If we focus on the actual science, instead of the politicization of it (or pure attacking of it based on politics like the RWNJs do), then a better understanding and better modeling can be made even if Sunspot Cycle 24 does bring lower solar activity until 2020 and we will be better informed and understanding of how our activities influence the planet we call home. The science should lead truth, not politics leading what we want science research to conclude and tell us.

Unfortunately, 97% of NASA is furloughed right now... so not much new science is going to come from their solar science department until government starts operating again effectively.
        Last edited by rwh11385; 10-10-2013, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Speaking of science, understanding Earth should only be the beginning. It's been said, but as a species to survive we'll need to be able to move on.

How long can earth sustain us? It's not simply one resource, or the changing climates, eventually we'll need to be able to get off this rock. It's not about the next 5-25 years, there should be more focus on the next 100 and 1000 years.

Maybe it's the fact that space and science fiction is incredible to think about to me, or the hope that one day humans won't be a selfish, greedy. The thought that we would be able to co-exist without a religious doctrine but a simple understanding of common sense. If you think in a selfless manner, and realize how small you are, and think about our species the picture should change. Sure, ideologies are radically different from one group to the next, and one's culture should not be forgotten or anything like that but in the end we're one species.

The Industrial Revolution came and went, while we saw inventions and business succeed then (with some unfavorable practices and consequences), I'd love to see the Space Revolution begin in my lifetime with a different outlook, to further human knowledge, understanding, and our guaranteed survival. "You may say I'm a dreamer..."

/wtfendsoapbox
          Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

in honor of the 75,000 head of beef that were killed by an early fall snowfall in the dakota's

“There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
              It was really hot yesterday but today is cold. That's global cooling, right?
              George and other scientific illiterates still cant discern the difference between climate and weather.

Maybe we could pitch in and buy him a dictionary for christmas?

BTW, no comment on my response to yet another ant science blog post that was quite easily refuted? Couldnt bother to check the source, makes me wonder if you read past the headline.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                Speaking of science, understanding Earth should only be the beginning. It's been said, but as a species to survive we'll need to be able to move on.

How long can earth sustain us? It's not simply one resource, or the changing climates, eventually we'll need to be able to get off this rock. It's not about the next 5-25 years, there should be more focus on the next 100 and 1000 years.

Maybe it's the fact that space and science fiction is incredible to think about to me, or the hope that one day humans won't be a selfish, greedy. The thought that we would be able to co-exist without a religious doctrine but a simple understanding of common sense. If you think in a selfless manner, and realize how small you are, and think about our species the picture should change. Sure, ideologies are radically different from one group to the next, and one's culture should not be forgotten or anything like that but in the end we're one species.

The Industrial Revolution came and went, while we saw inventions and business succeed then (with some unfavorable practices and consequences), I'd love to see the Space Revolution begin in my lifetime with a different outlook, to further human knowledge, understanding, and our guaranteed survival. "You may say I'm a dreamer..."

/wtfendsoapbox
                *e-fistbump*

I was fortunate enough to go hear Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson in person and was all pumped for Space! America! Science! afterwards. You'd think we could get past petty and juvenile banter in government and up NASA's funding rather than furloughing 97% of them... and prepare to have Apophis not hit us or support commercial crew transportation development or prep for Mars. Elon Musk seems rather motivated for us to reach the Red Planet.

Should we colonize space? ✅ Find here the most famous quotes about space colonization said by the greatest minds of humankind ✅

If humans one day become extinct from a catastrophic collision, there would be no greater tragedy in the history of life in the universe. Not because we lacked the brain power to protect ourselves but because we lacked the foresight. The dominant species that replaces us in post-apocalyptic Earth just might wonder, as they gaze upon our mounted skeletons in their natural history museums, why large headed Homo sapiens fared no better than the proverbially peabrained dinosaurs.

— Neil deGrasse Tyson, Death By Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries, 2007
                The long-term survival of the human race is at risk as long as it is confined to a single planet. Sooner or later, disasters such as an asteroid collision or nuclear war could wipe us all out. But once we spread out into space and establish independent colonies, our future should be safe. There isn't anywhere like the Earth in the solar system, so we would have to go to another star. If we used chemical fuel rockets like the Apollo mission to the moon, the journey to the nearest star would take 50,000 years. This is obviously far too long to be practical, so science fiction has developed the idea of warp drive, which takes you instantly to your destination. Unfortunately, this would violate the scientific law which says that nothing can travel faster than light. However, we can still within the law, by using matter/antimatter annihilation, at least reach just below the speed of light. With that, it would be possible to reach the next star in about six years, though it wouldn't seem so long for those on board.

— Stephen Hawking, accepting the Royal Society's Copley Medal, 1 December 2006
                These are the missing practical arguments: safeguarding the Earth from otherwise inevitable catastrophic impacts and hedging our bets on the many other threats, known and unknown, to the environment that sustains us. Without these arguments, a compelling case for sending humans to Mars and elsewhere might be lacking, But with them—and the buttressing arguments involving science, education, perspective, and hope—I think a strong case can be made. If our long-term survival is at stake, we have a basic responsibility to our species to venture to other worlds.
                Sailors on a becalmed sea, we sense the stirring of a breeze.

— Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space, 1994
                It's really incumbent upon us as life's agents to extend life to another planet. I think that being a multi-planet species will significantly increase the richness and scope of the human experience.

— Elon Musk, founder of XpaceX, interview in Ad Astra, Summer 2006

To our knowledge, life exists on only one planet, Earth. If something bad happens, it's gone. I think we should establish life on another planet—Mars in particular—but we 're not making very good progress. SpaceX is intended to make that happen.

— Elon Musk, founder of SpaceX, Time magazine, 5 March 2007
                The starting point for advancement might be more people respectful and capable of understanding science, and a shared interest in funding programs for space and our future. Dr Tyson is a big supporter of providing goals for young scientists to reach for, instead of simply a history of past accomplishments to reflect on.

Neil deGrasse Tyson: How Space Exploration Can Make America Great Again

He mentions the Industrial Revolution and those nations who embrace investments in education and innovation have advanced and been successful, and right now we are failing at keeping it up. Maybe the fact that science (including NASA) is attacked if it doesn't fit in Big Oil's plans. Much of what America is largely came from exploring and Manifest Destiny as well as trade and innovation, and our current lives came from federal research and investment in computer networks that provided us with the internet and has fostered quite an industry and many jobs. Let's hope Space is growth industry of the 21st century.

Comment

OH MY GOD

http://worldtruth.tv/snowden-uncover...nd-chemtrails/

Snowden says the 'chemtrails' theory is true, and that they not some mind control agent but rather "aimed to protect North America’s climate at all costs" and are designed to suck carbon out of the atmosphere because global warming is totally real!!

Ha! Take that deniers!

And it is from a blog called 'worldtruth.tv' so you know it is 100% totally legit! Because we want the truth!

We can still use blog sites as 'sources' right? Or have we moved past that yet?

Comment

Snowden shared decisive documents with The Internet Chronicle, but out of concern for national security, only his testimonial can be published. These documents contain references to scientists who would surely be targeted by foreign counterintelligence, and their knowledge is vital to short-term survival of the United States.

lol

Comment

well fuck me, it's the sun after all. who woulda known?

a new maunder minimum
                      Research conducted by Professor Mike Lockwood at Reading University shows solar activity is falling at a rate not seen in 10,000 years of isotope data and the implications could be profound.
                      Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

clearly you do not understand how a greenhouse works.

also, I don't believe you even read the article.

the Maunder minimum of the 1600s was estimated to have shaved 0.3C to 0.4C from global temperatures.

It is worth stressing that most scientists believe long term global warming hasn’t gone away. Any global cooling caused by this natural phenomenon would ultimately be temporary, and if projections are correct, the long term warming caused by carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases would eventually swamp this solar-driven cooling.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

gwb's level of analysis: If he agrees with the headline, it's worth posting. content be damned.

Comment

The content is obviously saying "The climate is getting cooler due to the sun, debunking everything AGW preached, but please, believe us that it'll keep warming after that, because Mann said so, and PLEASE don't stop funding us. Kthx."

The whole theory is failing.

Comment

I'm curious exactly how you think a greenhouse works then.

Duh, the sun is the main input. nobody is disputing that?
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                I'm curious exactly how you think a greenhouse works then.

Duh, the sun is the main input. nobody is disputing that?
                                as they say on ESPN radio

come on man.......

the basic physics is well founded in science, it's just that mother nature isn't cooperating with the "the world is coming to an end because CO2 has reached 400 parts per million" argument. ie the missing energy as rwh likes to put it. apparently the feedback mechanisms your side argues will result in catastrophic global warming aren't happening in the face of ever increasing CO2.

so why should anyone believe you guys anymore?
                                no statistical warming for 16 years, 10 months, yet the only theories that hold water are AGW
                                Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X