One in Four Americans Unaware Earth Circles the Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One in Four Americans Unaware Earth Circles the Sun

Americans are enthusiastic about the promise of science but lack basic knowledge of it, with one in four unaware that the Earth revolves around the Sun, said a poll out Friday.

I think most of here would agree the Earth does indeed circle the sun. At least 3 out of 5.

The survey included more than 2,200 people in the United States and was conducted by the National Science Foundation.

Ten questions about physical and biological science were on the quiz, and the average score—6.5 correct—was barely a passing grade.

Just 74 percent of respondents knew that the Earth revolved around the Sun, according to the results released at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Chicago.

Fewer than half (48 percent) knew that human beings evolved from earlier species of animals.

The result of the survey, which is conducted every two years, will be included in a National Science Foundation report to President Barack Obama and US lawmakers.

One in three respondents said science should get more funding from the government.
    Nearly 90 percent said the benefits of science outweigh any dangers, and about the same number expressed interest in learning about medical discoveries.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-02-america...s-sun.html#jCp
    At least people value science...?
    2011 1M Alpine white/black
    1996 Civic white/black
    1988 M3 lachs/black

But they all know how Kanye and Kim are doing and who Jennifer Aniston is with.
    For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
    Originally posted by mbonanni
    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Swanny!
      SUCKERS.

Comment

I would love to know where they got these people from.

I find that statistic hard to swallow as a realistic representative of the American people.

Sounds like they picked from the Amish community or something.

I like talking about our Universe amongst friends, and not once in my 27 years have I had to explain Solar system 101 to anyone.
        No E30 Club
        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

They polled einhanders relatives.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by JinormusJ
          Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
          1989 325is Raged on then sold.
          1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
          1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
          1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Have I enlightened people on red and blue shift, why exactly there are tides, and what perigee and apogee are, yes...

Never how spinny things spin around other spinny things. Maybe poll was taken by preschoolers? Or Mel Gibson's dad?
            Swanny!
            SUCKERS.

Comment

Inner city polling data for 100, please Alex
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                Rural America for $1000 please, Alex.
                2011 1M Alpine white/black
                1996 Civic white/black
                1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Oh I see your inferring that rural people who believe in a deity didnt learn this kinda thing. Gotcha.

Ummm I am sure there is few, but most rural people actually place a bit of value on a basic education and this kinda thing is covered. Da wife's extended family are (OLD SCHOOL) Apostolic's and even her preacher grandfather knows this shit. As opposed to hood rats complete disdain for even basic education.....
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

It was a quiz, not a poll. Looks like you can't read either.

Oh I see your inferring that rural people who believe in a deity didnt learn this kinda thing. Gotcha.
                    You were the one who grabbed the jump to conclusions mat.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                      It was a quiz, not a poll. Looks like you can't read either.

And a survey of random individuals is not a from of Polling?????

Poll- 1. a sampling or collection of opinions on a subject, taken from either a selected or a random group of persons, as for the purpose of analysis.

Survey - 1. to take a general or comprehensive view of or appraise, as a situation, area of study, etc.
                      3. to conduct a survey of or among

You think I dont have a grasp of da English

William Pitt-

Comment

To be precise, Einhander implies, Sleeve infers. Thoughts?

I calculate this thread at 85.7% troll. This is the r3v I love.
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by JinormusJ
                        Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
                        1989 325is Raged on then sold.
                        1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
                        1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
                        1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

I have a hard time believing that is an accurate representation of American people. Who were they asking?

Comment

that was my point

William Pitt-

Comment

Hey Einhorn-is-Finkel, I would happily put my money on Rural America(say:Kansas/Nebraska) Vs. Urban America(say: Detroit/Chicago) on Jeopardy, and it would be like Ken Jennings Vs. Corky from Life Goes On.
                              Last edited by Farbin Kaiber; 02-15-2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X