Trump Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Troubling Reason the Electoral College Exists

The Founding Fathers had something particular in mind when they set up the U.S. presidential election system: slavery

As Americans await the quadrennial running of the presidential obstacle course now known as the Electoral College, it’s worth remembering why we have this odd political contraption in the first place. After all, state governors in all 50 states are elected by popular vote; why not do the same for the governor of all states, a.k.a. the president? The quirks of the Electoral College system were exposed this week when Donald Trump secured the presidency with an Electoral College majority, even as Hillary Clinton took a narrow lead in the popular vote.

Some claim that the founding fathers chose the Electoral College over direct election in order to balance the interests of high-population and low-population states. But the deepest political divisions in America have always run not between big and small states, but between the north and the south, and between the coasts and the interior.

One Founding-era argument for the Electoral College stemmed from the fact that ordinary Americans across a vast continent would lack sufficient information to choose directly and intelligently among leading presidential candidates.

This objection rang true in the 1780s, when life was far more local. But the early emergence of national presidential parties rendered the objection obsolete by linking presidential candidates to slates of local candidates and national platforms, which explained to voters who stood for what.

Although the Philadelphia framers did not anticipate the rise of a system of national presidential parties, the 12th Amendment—proposed in 1803 and ratified a year later— was framed with such a party system in mind, in the aftermath of the election of 1800-01. In that election, two rudimentary presidential parties—Federalists led by John Adams and Republicans led by Thomas Jefferson—took shape and squared off. Jefferson ultimately prevailed, but only after an extended crisis triggered by several glitches in the Framers’ electoral machinery. In particular, Republican electors had no formal way to designate that they wanted Jefferson for president and Aaron Burr for vice president rather than vice versa. Some politicians then tried to exploit the resulting confusion.

Enter the 12th Amendment, which allowed each party to designate one candidate for president and a separate candidate for vice president. The amendment’s modifications of the electoral process transformed the Framers’ framework, enabling future presidential elections to be openly populist and partisan affairs featuring two competing tickets. It is the 12th Amendment’s Electoral College system, not the Philadelphia Framers’, that remains in place today. If the general citizenry’s lack of knowledge had been the real reason for the Electoral College, this problem was largely solved by 1800. So why wasn’t the entire Electoral College contraption scrapped at that point?

Standard civics-class accounts of the Electoral College rarely mention the real demon dooming direct national election in 1787 and 1803: slavery.

At the Philadelphia convention, the visionary Pennsylvanian James Wilson proposed direct national election of the president. But the savvy Virginian James Madison responded that such a system would prove unacceptable to the South: “The right of suffrage was much more diffusive [i.e., extensive] in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of Negroes.” In other words, in a direct election system, the North would outnumber the South, whose many slaves (more than half a million in all) of course could not vote. But the Electoral College—a prototype of which Madison proposed in this same speech—instead let each southern state count its slaves, albeit with a two-fifths discount, in computing its share of the overall count.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

All that is happening in America is necessary and Trump will in fact almost certainly "Make America Great Again" This path of history is repeating itself whether viewed in reference to Nixon trial or the more relevant Hitler attempt to make Germany's master race conquer and ultimately rule the inferior people of the planet Earth.

Our amazingly great, handsome, healthy, smart, president Trump will prove lazy Mexicans and their poor work ethics should not be allowed into our country after all they only sneak into the country to work in hot fields where our government set up welfare office to pay for all the takellia and taco bell they consume for lunch. Trump will get rid of every last Muslim, this will be harder as we all know Dem muslims are smart and crafty, who would have known all the American terriorist bombs were exploded by muslims dressing up and pretending to be white bombers. Without Trump Americans would never be any the wiser to these sneaky muslims. Trump using his masterful art of dealing skill i'm sure will trick North Korea's into dumping their missile program in favor of a more lucrative sneaker manufacturer of the world.
      I'm sure Trump unlike Hitler will Prove white Americans are the true master race as they dominate the world of golf, basket ball, baseball, rap music, etc. After Trump i'm certain all American minorities will bleach their skins, become catholic, denounce Martin Luther King, and wear the trendy KKK hood.

Our economy is great and in 6 months of our great leaders math brilliance. the american stock market is better than ever before. Trump is my hero. I have to shout this now before he starts building concentration camps with the "TRUMP" ON ITS WALLS. All hail T R U M P ! i BETTER NOT DROP THE SOAP IN TRUMP SHOWER.

Comment

Nice troll

Comment

A troll isn't good or funny when it's so blatantly obvious.

Don't try so hard next time.
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Ah yes, I forgot to add to my post:

**Sarcasm Detected**

Comment

Hopefully, he is trolling Trump. Otherwise :hide:

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

When the people in the White House strongly believe that the problem is with those who divulgate the bad actions and not the scumbags in the White House who make them...

"On Monday, Trump wrote online that “the so-called leaks coming out of the White House are a massive over exaggeration put out by the Fake News Media in order to make us look as bad as possible” but added that “leakers are traitors and cowards, and we will find out who they are!”
                Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

"No one knew solving N.Korea would be so hard" (Future Trump tweet)

North Korea Threatens to Call Off Summit Meeting With Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                    When the people in the White House strongly believe that the problem is with those who divulgate the bad actions and not the scumbags in the White House who make them...

"On Monday, Trump wrote online that “the so-called leaks coming out of the White House are a massive over exaggeration put out by the Fake News Media in order to make us look as bad as possible” but added that “leakers are traitors and cowards, and we will find out who they are!”
                    You are missing the best part of that tweet.

He says there is no leaking, then that leakers are traitors and he will find them.

Classic!

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                      "No one knew solving N.Korea would be so hard" (Future Trump tweet)

North Korea Threatens to Call Off Summit Meeting With Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/15/w...g-news&ref=cta
                      Hahahahaha so predictable from you. Who knew NK was going to NK!!!!

It's almost like you have lemon juice as blood because you are sour as hell. I'd really hate to be as captious as you. It really must be miserable

Comment

Originally posted by Mediumrarechicken View Post
                        Hahahahaha so predictable from you. Who knew NK was going to NK!!!!

It's almost like you have lemon juice as blood because you are sour as hell. I'd really hate to be as captious as you. It really must be miserable
                        That was a fast several weeks.

Also you are missing I knew NK would NK.

You so funny

Comment

Republican run Senate intel committee and Republican Trump nominated FBI director say what????

Russia favored Trump in 2016, Senate panel says, breaking with House GOP
                          Breaking news, live coverage, investigations, analysis, video, photos and opinions from The Washington Post. Subscribe for the latest on U.S. and international news, politics, business, technology, climate change, health and wellness, sports, science, weather, lifestyle and more.

FBI chief: Russia probe not a witch hunt
                          While testifying before the Senate Appropriations Committee, FBI Director Christopher Wray said he does not believe that the Russia probe is a witch hunt.

Also, how 'bout this felony????

Trump Discloses Cohen Payment, Raising Questions About Previous Omission

Last edited by parkerbink; 05-16-2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

and it's all just little bits of history repeating...
                            Attached Files
                            past:
                            1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                            1985 323i baur
                            current:
                            1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Nice out of contextyness comment was made in reference to MS13 members that .CA county law enforcement may have to release due to your states stupid sanctuary laws.

Not even a good try at equivocation by you, your meme, or the remainder of the article posted here

Originally posted by Washington times
                              The president’s language was similar to his frequent complaints about illegal immigrant MS-13 gang members — and it did come in response to a local sheriff who was complaining about the possibility of having to release an MS-13 member because of sanctuary policies
                              m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/17/immigrant-rights-groups-trump-racist-call-migrants/
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

Literally came to see if the "animals" comment was being used here, and I'm disappointed to say I wasn't disappointed.

That quote isn't accurate, and isn't even out of context, it's a outright lie. If you listen to the conversation, you wouldn't be repeating that shit here. Trump was clearly referring specifically to gang members who are being protected by stupid laws.
                                No E30 Club
                                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X