Creating Deep DOF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating Deep DOF?

I am quite confounded when trying to research more into creating a DDOF (Deep depth of field). The camera in question is a 550D. (bought brand new, still don't feel like upgrading sadly, especially after watching the price drop so fast. No one told me cameras become dated, more so than computers.

I am trying to achieve a deeper depth of field when recording. I realize that I can place the subject in question (whatever I am recording) further away and lower the AP to become more balanced at that medium distance.

I am quickly realizing the fact I may want to pick up another lens. Since this isn't the prime concern for this camera, I do not want to drop 300 smackaroos on a fish eye.

Anyone have any ideas for options? Does anyone actually make a nice fish-eye adapter, without creating the 90s skate style bulge in the center? Or a nice budget stand-a-lone lens?
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Are you doing video or still pictures?

For still pictures, you'd have a higher f-stop number for greater DOF. A lower f-stop would decrease DOF. Should work the same way for your camera if you're doing video.
    Estoguy
    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Usually people are asking how to get less depth of field. Stop it down to f11. If your lens is even moderately wide the depth of field will be huge at f11 and up. You won't find a wide angle adapter that doesn't create terrible distortion, and depending on how wide you want to go, you may not be able to find a lens that doesn't distort quite noticeably for $300. How much distortion matters depends on what you're shooting, and when you aren't shooting video it's easy to correct mild to moderate distortion in post.

Cameras don't become dated in the way computers do, you can still produce great results with a 6 year old DSLR, but you won't be able to max out the newest games and stuff on a 6 year old PC. Barring certain features it may or may not have like external microphone support, a tilting screen and certain manual controls, one of the only ways an older camera like yours might be inferior in video quality vs a newer one is worse dynamic range. You don't need a 36mp full frame sensor to produce 1080p video, which is so low res that it isn't even remotely demanding of optics, and downsampled 1080p doesn't show noise at high iso like full resolution photos do.
      Last edited by varg; 02-03-2017, 05:10 PM.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
        Varg Said some things.
        I agree, when trying to google this, the most common result was shallow depth of field. Something I can have easily. But when I want to create deep depth I become lost. I am guessing the stock low zoom lens (with rates of f/3.5-5.6) isn't going to cut it for what I need. I want my camera to be more versatile, as in I can essentially grab it like a camcorder and go. Plus it would relieve the issue of trying to manually control focus. If my memory recalls correctly my camera supports 1920x1080 at 23 or 30 fps. So I am well happy with what my camera is capable of. I am just kinda upset to see the prices drop, I should have worded it more like "I hate how cameras don't hold value, like a PC".

Have you any suggestions for my camera? I am considering the 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6. Or the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, which really seems like a bang for buck deal.

I guess the bigger issue would be in the frame (or my knowledge) because I can only seem to adjust the aperture in AV: Aperture Priory mode, which is only for stills.

Would really love to figure this out! Thanks guys!
        20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

My 5D is atleast 5 or 6 yrs old and still kicks ass so a camera being 'dated' really isnt much of a concern unless your doing low-light situations. With a 10-18mm youre going to have distortion and bad fall off at the edge of the video/photo. 14mm is about the equivalent of the human eye if your trying to get more of a POV approach. 24mm is a pretty versatile lens on the other hand, stepping down to a 2.8 with give a more 'dreamy' bokeh than a 4.5/5.6.

I bought my 16-35mmL a while back for less than $500 off craigslist and once you become more familiar with the camera and etc you'll see the difference in L glass. Worked great for wide stuff, low distortion, and good DOF. If you're more on a budget I'd suggest looking into Tamron or Sigma for prices, though anything lower than 14mm will start to fisheye. Also take into consideration that the 550D is a smaller APS-C sensor than a full frame. So you'd need to calculate that its 1.4x whatever mm the lens is. So a 50mm on full frame would be just that but on APS-C it's more like 70mm, since the lens sits closer to the sensor on the smaller bodies.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Working...
          X