Fuel tank mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
    Another update... This setup works great until it doesn't. My second pump failed, probably because it ran dry.
    I was running two high pressure pumps in parallel, looks like that's not a solution because I underestimated how much it would be running dry.

I'll be doing surge tank.

I installed the VW surge tank in our 87 325i sedan after a Corvette almost ran me over due to fuel starvation on the fastest right hander at Willow Springs. It was absolutely terrifying and I thought for sure that I was going to be the cause of a 100 mph crash. We put almost 200k miles on this car and never experienced fuel starvation once, until hpde's.

It has been over 3000 track miles with no fuel starvation since the plastic external surge tank was installed down by the filter, and I have purchased another of the same type of surge tank from a r3v forum member for our 87 325is that should be at the track next year. For me it is a safety issue, if you are tracking your car you need to know about this prior to sphincter pucker.

The car does not burn through fuel pumps, however the low pressure intank pump is kinda spendy when it does go so it would be nice to have an alternative for that.
    I use just over a quarter tank of fuel per 20 minute session with our stock S52 e30.

Comment

Originally posted by bradmer View Post
      however the low pressure intank pump is kinda spendy when it does go so it would be nice to have an alternative for that.
      I use just over a quarter tank of fuel per 20 minute session with our stock S52 e30.
      Chevy Vega carburetor pump (1975) works perfect, and was mentioned a couple times in this thread. It's a low pressure lift pump, Vega was carbureted.

john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I installed the VW surge tank in our 87 325i sedan after a Corvette almost ran me over due to fuel starvation on the fastest right hander at Willow Springs. It was absolutely terrifying and I thought for sure that I was going to be the cause of a 100 mph crash. We put almost 200k miles on this car and never experienced fuel starvation once, until hpde's.

It has been over 3000 track miles with no fuel starvation since the plastic external surge tank was installed down by the filter,.
        Pictures, P/N's, details?

Comment

pictures, p/n's, details?
          vw pn: 533201511a
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

vw pn: 533201511a
            Thanks, that's basically a plastic version of what you showed earlier.
            I would like to see how it slots into the e30 fuel filter area, the one you had on the e36 looks like it was up front.

Comment

Pictures, P/N's, details?
              I purchased the 2nd one from ForcedFirebird (Thank you!) , the first one is plumbed exactly as he laid out above. It is small like a flask so it can be placed up in this space with some effort.

Click image for larger version

Name:	52423552981_302394260b_b.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	10071318

Attached Files

Comment

I have a late tank, so my hole looks more like this. I could certainly fit a reservoir there, particularly if I fabricated it so the connections were orientated to my advantage. Put the fuel pump up front?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1933.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	10071320

Comment

Thanks, that's basically a plastic version of what you showed earlier.
                  I would like to see how it slots into the e30 fuel filter area, the one you had on the e36 looks like it was up front.
                  The e36 has the fuel filter on the frame rail, so I just utilized that space. Yes, I make them out of aluminum, then pressure test them. I have a pic somewhere of the ls1 swapped w211 race car we did. MB used a lift pump and it would starve at 1/2 tank - which was mounted vertical behind the rear seat back.

I purchased the 2nd one from ForcedFirebird (Thank you!) , the first one is plumbed exactly as he laid out above. It is small like a flask so it can be placed up in this space with some effort.
                  You're welcome. Thought it was you who bought it. I had a few of them and one was laying around forever in my upper cabinet over my office desk. Think it was in there for like 5yr? lol. They are available again, but they are now +$200!

I have a late tank, so my hole looks more like this. I could certainly fit a reservoir there, particularly if I fabricated it so the connections were orientated to my advantage. Put the fuel pump up front?
                  You can. On the e30 race cars, I use the "battery tray" to mount the fuel filter, you could easily put a pump there. One of the other guys in my group made a small tank and put it in the battery tray and strapped the pump to it.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Early cars had the fuel filter mounted vertically in the engine compartment under the master cylinder. I use this fitment/placement for the fuel filter to get it out of the fuel tank area.

Comment

Originally posted by redneckvtek View Post
                      Early cars had the fuel filter mounted vertically in the engine compartment under the master cylinder. I use this fitment/placement for the fuel filter to get it out of the fuel tank area.
                      I can certainly put a tank where my stock fuel filter is, and I can move the filter to the engine bay, but I don't have room for the pump with the tank where my filter sits unless it's really small. I think the pump needs to be co-located with the tank which limits my options. Not crazy about putting the tank in the trunk.

Comment

I can certainly put a tank where my stock fuel filter is, and I can move the filter to the engine bay, but I don't have room for the pump with the tank where my filter sits unless it's really small. I think the pump needs to be co-located with the tank which limits my options. Not crazy about putting the tank in the trunk.
                        Surge tank and pump don't need to be close. You could put the surge tank under the car where the filter goes, and the filter in the frame rail like an early model. Both would actually fit up front like I did in the e36 posted above (my buddies e30 is like that too).
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

Working...
                        X