Is there a track safe Anti-Freeze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a track safe Anti-Freeze?

And I do specify anti-freeze, and not coolant. I started doing HPDE this summer, and out of respect for the track (and distrust of my car) I started running pure water instead of coolant. Well, winter is coming to the north cascades again, and my car should not be sitting outside with water in it.

Is there track safe anti-freeze that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Or is the easiest thing to buy a bunch of anti-freeze, dump it in, and do a flush come spring?

Thanks!
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

There is no track safe antifreeze. The right thing to do is to fill the system with anti-freeze mix when freezing weather is imminent and change to water & WaterWetter (or equal) once the danger of a freeze has past. On a related note, if the car has an AFFF system the bottle needs to be protected from freezing. Either bring it inside or use a heating pad. I use a battery heating pad for this.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
      There is no track safe antifreeze. The right thing to do is to fill the system with anti-freeze mix when freezing weather is imminent and change to water & WaterWetter (or equal) once the danger of a freeze has past. On a related note, if the car has an AFFF system the bottle needs to be protected from freezing. Either bring it inside or use a heating pad. I use a battery heating pad for this.
      Cool, thanks for the quick info. I failed for half an hour on google finding a solution, so I asked. I'm glad I didn't burn another half hour looking for a solution that doesn't exist! Thanks! :)

Cheers,
      Tyler
      -------------------------------------------------
      1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
      2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        Stupid question, but what is an AFFF system?

Comment

Google says its a fire system. I didnt know either.

Comment

If it is purely a track car, I recommend using RV Antifreeze over the winter. It is not as harmful if you spill some when flushing/changing the system, and you can easily store it and use it for multiple seasons if the car is just sitting un-used.
            Below the radar...

Comment

oh, and use an additive with your water, otherwise, your head will become swiss cheeze... (water wetter works)

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

everyone i know who has a sportbike has done atleast one track day. they all start freaking about the antifreeze and track prep.
                some use water, most use a mix of water and water wetter. 60 water 40 wetter

Comment

Originally posted by devon.818 View Post
                  some use water, most use a mix of water and water wetter. 60 water 40 wetter
                  that ratio doesn't sound right at all.
                  '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                  NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                  Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Industrial insulation manufacturer, foam insulation fabricator, urethane insulation, isocyanurate, foamglas, perlite, styrofoam, cellular glass insulate, phenolic foams, refrigeration systems, stainless steel tubing insulator, pvc jackets, pharmaceutical, chemical, petrochemical, underground insulation systems, by Extol of Ohio, Robin DeGraff.

If it doesnt get below 15 Fahrenheit a 25% mix to 75% water should be fine... and that might be okay at a track day???

Comment

I would only run straight water on a track day. If your shit is going to freeze so hard it might crack the block at night before hand, there's ways around it, or dont plan on it.

Comment

two words: Hard Blok
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        2016 Ford Flex
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
                          that ratio doesn't sound right at all.
                          No it doesn't. You're supposed to run like, a couple of capfulls.
                          sigpic
                          -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

Working...
                          X