Pikes Peak Int. Hill Climb Turbo E30 Build

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Zodow
    replied
    Originally posted by rfields
    Common misconception. There's a lot more to underbody aero than just flat bottoms and a couple strakes at the back. The current design leaves a lot to be desired, but there's far more that needs done.

    Tim, I'm drawing up your airfoil soon. Sorry for the delay
    No worries, its the holidays! Looking forward to building some new aero goodies :D

    Leave a comment:


  • rfields
    replied
    Originally posted by R3Z3N
    Are you going to make it a flat bottom? Otherwise I would think the air to the diffuser would be too dirty.

    Still, sooo awesome that you are doing this, and going the route of homegrown development! Shames most R3V #BecauseRaceCar statements ;-)
    Common misconception. There's a lot more to underbody aero than just flat bottoms and a couple strakes at the back. The current design leaves a lot to be desired, but there's far more that needs done.

    Tim, I'm drawing up your airfoil soon. Sorry for the delay

    Leave a comment:


  • Zodow
    replied
    Yea they try to have it clear year round, doesn't seem like there is much snow on it last time I looked at it. Here's some info and $2 COUPON lol! I could be wrong but I think the 115% rule is gear towards the cars rather than the bikes as they don't have as much of a problem passing.

    Last year they were going to enforce that rule but "modified" it to 120% of the second fastest driver in each class. I barely sneaked in under the 115% of rhy's time in 7th or 8th and the rest of the ~20 cars in time attack would have not(same story on a few other classes) so they had to adjust it, then made some math errors in the new run order, and then decided to let all cars/bikes run because it was close enough to the 80cars 100bikes. From what I gather getting into the race will be more difficult next year so the race doesn't go from dark to dark.

    Leave a comment:


  • j0oftheworld
    replied
    Thanks!
    Yeah, would be a lot more comfortable in my E30.
    It's basically your car minus the turbo. :)
    I've read it's 115% of top time for quali, and being that I'd be w. the 1200 boys who were both under 10min on their Duc's I'd imagine I'd get cut if that's a strictly enforced rule.
    Do they try to keep the road clear at all times? I might fly up the week of new years and spend some time up there w. my son and stay w. friends who live there.

    Leave a comment:


  • Zodow
    replied
    Originally posted by j0oftheworld
    How are they about accepting applicants for the race?
    I've got 16yrs of car/kart racing experience but I'm thinking I'd like to run it on my motorcycle. I've never raced on 2wheels. haha I know the deadline is mid-Jan. Thanks!
    It's kind of a mystery to me. I know they over accepted last year and are trying to avoid that this year, but also the motorcycle fee went way up on cost so the motorcycle entry number might not be as high. The target number for last year was 80 Cars and 100 motorcycles.

    I'm sure they would like for you to have some experience racing on motorcycles specifically, though if you don't get accepted they will return your money. FWIW the race is more so treacherous to riders because of the guard rails, and trees on exits, and well drop off and other stuff. They put up hay bails on most spots where you can dump it, but its still it's a fine line between life and death.

    Not trying to discourage you ,just make sure you are comfortable with your skills on two wheels and familiar with the mountain before you commit.

    Another thing to consider is if you get accepted, get on a bike and ride up the peak on a day before the dropout date(mid feb I think), just incase u feel unsure about it( its way more daunting at slow speeds in real life)

    And maybe if they don't like the bike idea maybe you can be the first to run a kart?? ;)

    Good luck!

    Leave a comment:


  • j0oftheworld
    replied
    How are they about accepting applicants for the race?
    I've got 16yrs of car/kart racing experience but I'm thinking I'd like to run it on my motorcycle. I've never raced on 2wheels. haha I know the deadline is mid-Jan. Thanks!

    Leave a comment:


  • ACHTUNG
    replied
    You're hired.

    Leave a comment:


  • Zodow
    replied
    Few pics.

    First off thanks to Ryan at Motorsport Hardware for these :)

    90mm Bullet Nose stud kit


    A few more higher quality photos of the engine bay/interior






    Loving the compliments!

    I will be starting to do some CF stuff after the new year.

    Main elements I want to make in CF Is new a airfoil (and relocating it), side skirts, Under tray/diffuser, front bumper/air damn.
    Another hopeful would be to do the splitter out of possibly kevlar, or something lighter than the wood.

    The other two things that are more on the dream list would be carbon dash and doors.
    Doors weigh 51lbs each and dash is around 15 lbs now. Ill see how confident I am after all the other stuff. If I can do the doors, my goal is to get it around 2300lbs.

    Their are alot of other goals on the list so hopefully I can accomplish all the CF parts on that list.
    Last edited by Zodow; 05-23-2019, 08:59 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • fronton
    replied
    Incredible work, car, and racing. Congratulations

    Leave a comment:


  • R3Z3N
    replied
    Are you going to make it a flat bottom? Otherwise I would think the air to the diffuser would be too dirty.

    Still, sooo awesome that you are doing this, and going the route of homegrown development! Shames most R3V #BecauseRaceCar statements ;-)

    Leave a comment:


  • !kid
    replied
    anything going on with the CF?

    Leave a comment:


  • Zodow
    replied
    Aero

    Well the race had been postponed for a month because of the fire so it gave me some extra time to do what aero work I could.

    Strapped for cash, as always, I opted to try and make my own wing, splitter and diffuser.

    Here is the fantastic thread that I used to help create the rear wing.
    https://forums.bimmerforums.com/foru....php?t=1306900

    First was to create the shape and cut down the foam block to that shape using a homemade hot wire cutter. The profile was sorta made up using a best guess/eyeballing others (Hopefully with Robs help at GOODaero we can figure out a legit one for next year) I also made the profile a bit skinny because of the thickness of the layers I added.


    I saved some money using an old 10 amp car charger for the hot wire cutter and a 5 dollar dimmer wired into a 120v outlet to control the power that the battery charger would get. Worked really well for the foam I had at around 4 or 5 amps, Im guessing the better foam would need more amps but probably under 10. I used mig welding wire for the hot wire, either .025 or .030 thickness.




    I dont have any pics of the layering processes, nobody was around to take pics. I did one layer fiberglass, one layer coremat, one layer kevlar and one final layer of fiberglass. Coremat seems to really help stiffen up things when your using fiberglass.


    I cut cost on some stuff like the foam which I shouldn't have because it bowed with the weight of the layers and expoy and had to support the center while it set up making it not as smooth as id like.

    It turned out pretty straight and strong. I was able to put my weight on it in between two chairs without much trouble. There is still tons of room for improvement on the carbon fiber one :)


    The uprights are made of 1/2 square steel tubing and mount through the trunk onto the frame rails. Mounting position and material will change for next year I believe.

    And now the splitter.

    I went with a 15/32's plywood from the local home depot, Not as great as some materials but it's a good quick and dirty solution.


    The heart thing came in handy to create an identical shape on both sides, you could easily make a template but this shape worked wonders.


    I used tee nuts for all the mounts to keep the bottom as flush as possible.


    I put some spar urethane on to help keep out water and such.


    The rods are just pieces of allthread with two long nuts with a hole drilled though it. The nut with the hole aligns with a hole in a u channel piece of steel welded to a nut that screws into the tee nut. As long as you cut the rod close to the right length they work well and provide a bit of leveling adjustment.


    Here's the air damn. I snagged a piece of my buddies sheet aluminum for this, I believe its 18 gauge. With all the screws thought it takes forever to pull the thing off. Im hoping to do a one piece bumper/airdamn/maybe splitter that can be easily taken off soon.


    The diffuser was the last aero part I was able to get done.


    Its made from a two sheets of aluminum that sandwich a sheet of plastic. We had tons of the stuff laying around so I tried it out.

    It certainly isnt the lightest stuff around though, I think the end product was in between 10-15 lbs.


    Im gonna be trying my luck with as much carbon fiber making as I can handle for the next year to shed as much weight as I can.
    Last edited by Zodow; 05-23-2019, 08:54 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • rfields
    replied
    Have some stuff on your wing fabrication? Just curious and I'm sure others are as well...

    Leave a comment:


  • iwantspeed
    replied
    love this

    nice work.

    Leave a comment:


  • unevolved
    replied
    I love this thread. Keep it up.

    Leave a comment:

Working...