Need some Harness advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some Harness advice

I'll be installing a Rouge Engineering roll cage along with some Recaro Pole Positions soon. My car is used mostly for autocross and will probobly see a few CCA track days next year. Wondering what you guys recommend for some good quality, comfortable and afforadable 5/6 point harnesses. Thanks in advance for the help.
    sigpic
    1991 318is S52
    1987 325i Vert
    1991 325i
    2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

I use G-force 5 points and am very happy. Not terribly expensive, but are FIA rated and perform as they should. As for comfort, well, 5 point or 6 point, they all cramp your balls.
    88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
    We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Originally posted by matthugie View Post
      I use G-force 5 points and am very happy. Not terribly expensive, but are FIA rated and perform as they should. As for comfort, well, 5 point or 6 point, they all cramp your balls.
      +1 Other Harnesses are just way expensive and they just expire anyway.
      Opted to get a 6 point to no cramp my balls, but it does anyway. =/

Comment

schroth clubmans, the are the entry level ones
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mavrikno13764 View Post
          +1 Other Harnesses are just way expensive and they just expire anyway.
          Opted to get a 6 point to no cramp my balls, but it does anyway. =/
          Are any additional components needed when attaching them to the floor or the harness bar? Something like this then? http://www.jegs.com/i/G-FORCE/471/60...rentProductId=
          sigpic
          1991 318is S52
          1987 325i Vert
          1991 325i
          2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GThomas View Post
            Are any additional components needed when attaching them to the floor or the harness bar? Something like this then? http://www.jegs.com/i/G-FORCE/471/60...rentProductId=
            I have that exact harness on the passenger side. It's worth getting some of the eye bolts for the sides (I used http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1), snap hooks to attach to them (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and this plate to reinforce the bottom point (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I'm a prime member so pretty much all of those were to my door in 2 days.
            88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
            We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

I like Ultra Shield's 5- point- cam lock, not too expensive, and they reweb them for
              cheap when they need it.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Schroth profi2 is Very nice and pretty reasonable. Whatever you get should be a 6pt. If your buying safety equipment, why would you buy 5pt and risk scrotal injury? Most important part of the harness is HOW it's installed. Make sure you read the guidelines on mounting points and angles or have someone qualified install it for you. Schroth has well written guidelines you can download as a PDF on the Internet or you can watch their YouTube videos. These should be pretty universal instructions no matter what brand you buy. The biggest difference between cheaper FIA cert belts and the more expensive ones are how easy the adjusters are to use. Spend a little more and you won't regret it IMO. Good luck, hope that helps.

Comment

Willians are the best, if budget allows.
                  sigpic
                  1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                  2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

why would you buy 5pt and risk scrotal injury?
                    Because you're not driving a lay- down formula car. The 6 point is
                    only critical when you're supine. In a sedan, ALL the center belt
                    does is hold the lap belt down against the shoulder harnesses.

When you use the harness, you actually go 'up' as you go forward, not down.

If it nads you in a sedan, you don't have it installed right.

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

^^^^^^what he said

5pt is just fine if installed correctly.

Check us out at TurnerMotorsport.com. With a 20,000 sq/ft warehouse, we stock everything!

Comment

I daily my car with a schroth 6 point without any padding, and it is perfectly comfortable. All I will add to that, is you get what you pay for.
                        Turbo m30 drift car build.
                        500whp or bust.
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=256525

Comment

Schroth Profi-II Hybrid.

so damn comfortable.
                          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                          95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

RCI will reweb any make or manufacture. They charge 70 for Latch, 100 for Cam lock. I am not sure they will redo FIA, but if you have an older pair of SFI like I did sitting in storage, it's a cheap way to get some spare belts.

AS for mounting, I suggest the clip in on the lap belt. If you back the eyelet with fender washers it's hella easy should need to remove the belts for whatever reason..

Also, somethings to consider, if you run a Hans, most models are actually designed for a 2" belt, and not a 3". The 3" will slide over the edge of the HANS in some instances, hence why they make HANS specific 3" belts, though most club racing organizations will let you run a 2" belt with a HANS.

As for the difference in cost, if the belt is FIA cert, then it's going to be fine irregardless if it's the cheapest thing out there or a couple grand. While I don't like to skimp on safety, there is no reason to overspend just because the doom patrol loves to predict lower cost products will somehow burst in to flames and kill you and your entire family..
                            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                            2016 Ford Flex
                            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

..im in ny....westchester....come by and check it out....i run 5 pt as of now....GForce.

You cannot beat bang for buck w/ GF.....are they the best?...no..... but Ive used em for yrs...just fine..and that incl. 4 hr drives to WGI....

PP are nice seats..but if u can afford the coin..get XPG seat....MUCH better.

PP are really best for a car that sees alot of street duty....and for many folks the shoulder holes are too low for proper install angles of shoulder belts...

and u r welcome to come by the house.....to see a set up....if u have not as of yet.
                              Last edited by JRKOUPE; 09-27-2013, 11:31 AM.
                              I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Working...
                              X