Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does a STOCK E30 compare on the track to...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by I8UR911 View Post
    All depends on the driver. I autox my 318is. The car had (I've changed some things recently so its a totally different car....still M42 though) springs, shocks, rear bar, all new suspension bushings (OEM....not poly) and a Turner chip. I was VERY competitive against a Focus ST driven by another instructor.

The car can be very quick if it has a few upgrades. Will you win lots of races....probably not. But YOU WILL learn to drive a relatively "slow" car fast which is more fun than driving a fast car slow. Driving cars like this, especially in stock form, make you way better of a driver than starting with a properly prepped car that can "mask" mistakes.

Just do it and have fun.....competitive or not :)
    well said. Totally agree with all of it.

Especially about driving a fast car slow/slow car fast. My DD is a tuned 09 WRX with full suspension that is near 300whp. It is very fast. You can really push it and it grips like a mofo on AD08s. It woudl destroy my e30 on an autocross course (even with my star specs on the e30). The e30 is still 10x more fun on course, and feels like it's going twice as fast.

And for autocross/track stuff.....what tires you use will be the major deciding factor. Get some Star Spec 2's or BFG Rivals and you'll beat a lot of cars that are "faster" than an e30 if they're on "regular" tires :)

Bottom line....if your goal is to "win" at autocross, there are a specific small number of cars you can buy, with specific equipment and specific tires. Even my WRX, as much as is done to it, isn't even close to competitive in the STU and SM classes I used to run it in. Just not the right ncar.

If your goal is to have fun, go take your e30 out however it sits, and have fun.

Or take it to rallycross, where it can be competitive and you will have shitloads of fun even if you finish dead last.
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

I also agree with whats been said here, get out and try it for yourself! If you can drive a slow car fast you'll be able to drive a fast car fast.

the reverse of that isn't always true.
      -Brad
      My E30: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...50#post3916850

Comment

Just do it and have fun.....competitive or not
        This.

Because the car's not going to be the limiting factor at first, and if you
        find out you like it, then you can go with it, or go another direction,
        and there you are.

Off the top of my head, it seems like gearing for the M42 is going to be important...
        but it's easily adjustable.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I think the e30 handles great (previous car was an 03 vette) down fall of the 318 is it could use some extra power to get out of some corners. My 84 318 that cost me $800 new tires included hasn't been previously driven since 2007 could take some corners and slaloms at same speed as some of the faster cars (supercharged Miata on a6's and a couple of sti's) this is running on falken azenis.

Comment

Originally posted by krawtkart View Post
            I think the e30 handles great (previous car was an 03 vette) down fall of the 318 is it could use some extra power to get out of some corners. My 84 318 that cost me $800 new tires included hasn't been previously driven since 2007 could take some corners and slaloms at same speed as some of the faster cars (supercharged Miata on a6's and a couple of sti's) this is running on falken azenis.
            a late 318 with the M42 is substantially quicker than an early M10 car, though. Since I've had both engines in mine I can speak from experience :)
            Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by capn View Post
              So is it safe to assume stock E36 325i and E46 325i (both with sport package) would get owned by a stock E30 318is in a rally/autox/road course?
              lol no. As far as autoX is concerned (assuming equal drivers), an E30 will be destroyed by an E36/E46. In stock trim an E30 is too soft, steering far too slow, and lacking tire selection on the stock pizza cutters.

Originally posted by krawtkart View Post
              "My 84 318 ... could take some corners and slaloms at same speed as some of the faster cars (supercharged Miata on a6's) this is running on falken azenis."
              There had to be a driver difference there, a stock M10 car on Azennis has no chance against a Miata on R-comps, assuming equal driver talent.

I'm going to echo what everyone else has been saying, just get out and have fun, then figure out what you want to build if you decide to do that. even in bone stock trim, E30's are a riot to beat on, just not necessarily very fast.

Comment

And the e30 just loves to be driven HARD. Mine have taken serious abuse without breaking... Brake rotors, pads, tires and such are pretty reasonable expenses compared to lots of other cars.

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

Originally posted by GillesBigCowboy View Post
                  And the e30 just loves to be driven HARD. Mine have taken serious abuse without breaking... Brake rotors, pads, tires and such are pretty reasonable expenses compared to lots of other cars.
                  Concur. Mine has done 15 rallycross events (some with dual drivers), over 250 runs on a rough course, and not broken anything other than the cat substrate breaking loose inside the pipe (before I got around to gutting it).
                  Track/street e21 build
                  visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Originally posted by steven g View Post
                    Since you've already got yourself a 318is why not just put on some quality shocks/springs and just do it. Do a search - I am sure there lots of good advice from folks who've already done it. I love the way my E30 cars handle, similar to 944 and 968 cars actually.

My $.02 is based on my DE experience with a 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo S...totally stock 247 hp @ 3000 lbs. I had a blast with that car doing DEs for a few years until I put her into a wall at Road America...dumbass driver's fault. Try a few autocrosses and then find a track without too many concrete walls. The DE someday club race car I am building now is a 1994 968 but this time I am going all out with Recaro seats / Schroth 6 pt harnesses / Moton Clubsport shocks / 800/1000 lb coilovers and torsion bar delete / Racers Edge everything including spherical bearings / M030 adjustable swaybars / 18 in CCW forged wheels and down the $lope I go.... and when the car is done...I will take a few driving lessons.
                    nice build..........take some lessons first....
                    I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

The more corners there are, the more fun it'll be. That said, you should as a matter of safety, refresh your suspension, get good tires, and definitely get an alignment.

If you do HPDEs, they divide the groups up pretty well so that you won't have a a problem of a firebreathing 800 hp monsters coming up behind you. Once you progress to the higher run groups, though, you'll have a lot of people passing you.

Originally posted by whysimon
                      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                        Also, FWIW this M42 car was pretty quick at Summit Point LeMons. Not sure what is done to it but since it's Lemons, it woudl have to be pretty minimal. I want to say it was top-20 out of 100+ car field (which admittedly isn't saying THAT much for Lemons, but whatever).

[lmg]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/irish44j/LeMons%20Capitol%20Offense%202013/DSCF6439.jpg[/img]
                        that car is my old car! i love seeing pics of it floating around like this! first e30 and still my favorite, good to see it getting wound out :)

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Originally posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
                          that car is my old car! i love seeing pics of it floating around like this! first e30 and still my favorite, good to see it getting wound out :)
                          The Haterade E30 car is your old car!!??? WHAAAA?
                          Damn it's a small world!
                          The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
                            The Haterade E30 car is your old car!!??? WHAAAA?
                            Damn it's a small world!
                            indeed it is! if you look at pictures of it's engine bay you'll see my old black intake manifold, and another pic a few days before the team picked up the "shell"

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

Originally posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
                              indeed it is! if you look at pictures of it's engine bay you'll see my old black intake manifold, and another pic a few days before the team picked up the "shell"

Haha.
                              The shop Ava restorations (HQ of over engineered racing) is the shop that built my motor!
                              The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X