Wisefab Lock Kit for race applications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wisefab Lock Kit for race applications?

So I have been pondering how to get more angle per revolution of the steering wheel.

Came across this from wise

I was thinking if I was to get this and couple it with a Z3 rack could I get 1 turn lock to lock. This would be for racing application not drifting. It also has the benefit of putting the control arm and tie rod into a more stock position on a lowered car.

Anyone have experience with this kit and if I could get the standard E30 steering angle down to a 1 turn lock to lock?
    sigpic

For what racing application would you need to get 1 turn lock to lock? - AB

Comment

Looks drifty to me...

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by B1mmer View Post
        For what racing application would you need to get 1 turn lock to lock? - AB
        It will be mostly hillclimbs time attacks. It is more a comfort thing then a function change. Obviously I can do with our it but would be nice not having to cross hands over to make sharp turns. Just wanted to see if anyone sore any disadvantages in it.

Yes it was designed for drift but dose not mean it can not be used for racing.
        sigpic

Comment

Very Interested ,
          It would help a lot in Slaloms , tight turns autox

Comment

looks pretty sexy to me. Please make a thread and review it if you do buy.

Comment

For the 1300$ it is it would be nice, but if you are racing I would think that money could be put else where unless you have a crazy awesome budget.

Comment

In for results. Does this kit also not push the wheels out about 2inches more from memory?
                The control arm is a lot wider as I remember, for drift-king spec camber...

True/false?
                88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Also, what would you do for a front swaybar? The kit doesn't include any provisions for the oem bar, and even if you strut mounted something, the extra distance (horizontally) to the strut would cause issues with endlinks in fitment, life, and leverage on the swaybar.
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I would think that this would make the front end VERY twitchy, because ever so slight changes in steering input will result in massive changes of steering angle at the wheels. Like, the slightest amount of bump steer could potentially induce a spin unless you have a very high skillset and have driven cars with a nearly 1 turn lock-lock steering setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                      Also, what would you do for a front swaybar? The kit doesn't include any provisions for the oem bar, and even if you strut mounted something, the extra distance (horizontally) to the strut would cause issues with endlinks in fitment, life, and leverage on the swaybar.

Looks like there is a hole for the sway bar, and if not it is not hard to drill one.

Comment

I would expect the car to be twitchy with this. I noticed that there seems to be some excessive camber due to the longer control arm that is a bit of a concern.

Though someone has mentioned this kit http://slrspeed.com/applications/e30/ its a bit cheaper and has adjustable end links which can help with that camber issue.

If I do end up getting one I will be sure to let everyone know my thoughts
                        sigpic

Comment

Pretty sure you'll have more camber with the slr kit then the wide fab one.

Reason being, slr kit is fd/pro am legal, wise fab kit isn't, though I do think they make one that is. Reason being, the wise fab kit relocates the upper mount further out as well which helps the camber issue, but is not legal. The slr kit does not and your stuck running around 6 degrees of negative camber. Fine and livable for a drift car, not very optimal for throwing your car around at high speeds though.

Also to add, Sean from slr is a great guy... Just a bit of a pain to get a hold of. Also I'm not sure if his new design incorporates a sway bar provision but i know for a fact he could add one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
                          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

First of all, the wisefab kit doesn't effect steering ratio at all. All it changes is the angle the wheels move from turning the steering wheel the same amount. If the only thing you want is a quicker ratio steering, mount a steering multiplier into your steering column.

Second, the wisefab kit completely destroys your front geometry for anything but drifting. It is designed to keep your front wheels flat on the ground while at opposite lock, if you are trying to turn normally the tread patch will barely be on the ground on both sides. The new tie rod location also screws with the direction the wheels are pointing while turning compared to stock, so the front tires will scrub and you will have horrible understeer.

All drift kits are this way
                            Byron
                            Leichtbau

Comment

Working...
                            X