Getting "permission" for track days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting "permission" for track days

For you married guys, I'm looking for tips on how to get permission for track days? Don't get me wrong, my wife loves car racing and the E30, but we have 2 kids under 5 years old and she watches them everyday so she really needs her weekends.

NASAAZ is going to Chuckwalla 2/8-2/9 to make it worse I will be out of town the Thursday & Friday before for work. Any ideas? I'm good with 1 day too, just meeting some resistance still. :hitler:
    '90 325is

Just tell her it's better than you cheating?

Comment

Get a friend/family member to watch the kids and bring her with you?
      88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
      We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Invite the Grandparents to visit.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I know the feeling of guilt but just try to explain how important your hobby is, and that you value your partner's hobbies as well and wouldn't hesitate to show the same leniency or take the slack for an extra day for them to do something they love as well

Comment

Take her and the kids, bring a tablet or cell phones with games on them.

Comment

Definitely bring them with. Kids love racecars and will be excited that they drove to/from the event in yours.

My kids (4 and 6) love going to autocross and track days. We bring board games and crayons for when they get bored, sometimes even the adults get in on it.
              - Josh
              1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
              Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Bringing the kids may work. Mine are 2.5 & 5 year old girls. My concern is they would be ok for like 3 hours then get hungry and tired and pissy. But it may work, I'll have to think this through... Ipad, portable DVD player, some board games, cooler filled with food, maybe setup a bed in the back of the outback for the 2.5year old to nap. Mmm this could work. The problem is Chuckwalla is in the middle of nowhere, so I have to make sure they have everything they need.
                '90 325is

Comment

Yeah, and if you have an ezup awning that will be bonus too.
                  - Josh
                  1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                  Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Originally posted by Hoffbrohaus View Post
                    For you married guys, I'm looking for tips on how to get permission for track days? Don't get me wrong, my wife loves car racing and the E30, but we have 2 kids under 5 years old and she watches them everyday so she really needs her weekends.

NASAAZ is going to Chuckwalla 2/8-2/9 to make it worse I will be out of town the Thursday & Friday before for work. Any ideas? I'm good with 1 day too, just meeting some resistance still. :hitler:
                    What, exactly, are you getting resistance about? I approach my hobbies the same way I'd approach anything else. Problem solving. Make sure her needs are met regarding time off/childcare/responsible financing/whatever. I don't bring people to the track unless they ask to come. If they do come, they're on their own as far as I'm concerned. I'm mentally taxed enough managing myself and trying to ride and learn efficiently without having to deal with someone else being hungry or thirsty or tired. I pay too much and risk too much to be distracted.

I'd recommend doing one day at a time to start things off. In my experience, one day at the track means at least evening packing and prepping before, and a day unpacking and organizing after.

I'm out of town for work about 65% of my life, including weekends. As long as all other needs are met, if I ever have to ask permission to spend my money on a trackday, I will shit a brick.

Comment

Originally posted by mulletman View Post
                      What, exactly, are you getting resistance about?
                      Well somewhat complicated. Her parents are coming out to visit 2 days before I leave for work. So I'm thinking, great they can help watch the kids, but...her mom just finished treatment for breast cancer after a double mastectomy. Then her dad was diagnosed with some weird spinal stenosis thing, went through surgery and is starting to use a walker and doing a lot of physical therapy.

So... she kinda has to deal with them and two kids, one of which is high drama and high maintenance.

Now that I write this I'm thinking it's just bad timing. Not a permission thing. The resistance is probably because she needs my support to deal with all this. Alright good talk ;)
                      '90 325is

Comment

Sounds like bad timing, like you said. I hate it when life gets in the way of fun.

Comment

I don't bring people to the track unless they ask to come. If they do come, they're on their own as far as I'm concerned. I'm mentally taxed enough managing myself and trying to ride and learn efficiently without having to deal with someone else being hungry or thirsty or tired. I pay too much and risk too much to be distracted.
                          Keep this in mind. I don't want to be on the track with someone who is too distracted to give 110% to driving..

I am looking at it from the opposite perspective that you are since I am the work from home/stay at home dad. After the week of making sure kiddo gets what she needs and dealing with work, I need my weekends. And so my wife usually allows me to get some "me" time on the weekends..

BUT, I also allow her to do what she wants some weekends as well. In fact, I have covered quite a bit over the last few months because I am stock piling favors for race season! :)

There are some people I race with that somehow are able to entice their better half's to join their pit crew, I am not one of those lucky ones.. My wife has no interest in being there, and only slightly agrees to allow me to race. The key is balance - find a balance that works. That, and try and brainwash the kids in to wanting to come racing with you!
                          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                          2016 Ford Flex
                          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

My wife won't watch our events nor any SCCA races. She's afraid to see an accident.

I quit smoking and drinking years ago (my choice). I don't play golf, nor do I gamble and most importantly I don't chase other women.

It's my only vice. Works for my wife.

Feff
                            MVP Track Time :mrgreen:

Comment

I've brought my wife along to autox several times. the kids are too young though - yes, a 2.5 year old and a 5 year old will like it (mine are about the same age), but they will lose their interest definitely after a couple hours, and that will really suck for both you and your wife.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X