24V = smithereens after 50 hours of racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24V = smithereens after 50 hours of racing

I suggest those with delusions of grandeur regarding the strength of stock OEM BMW engines under heavy stress to review these photos.

Stock longmotor saw 50 hours full racing before total dismay, 0 street miles in the e30. Head was rebuilt stock; before it was swapped into our e30 racecar it had about 70k street miles attached to an automatic.

we learned the hard way that valve spring retainers are not strong enough for over 7,000 rpm redline + endurance racing

Bottom and top were going to kaboom; top happened to pull the trigger first.
    failure happened at 2,000rpm idling on a lift; I was able to shut it down within a few seconds.

head gasket was intact when broken down.

Solid Billet motor mounts are brutal on the oil pickup regarding vibration stress.
    I would suggest a T-T s54 pan conversion for those with the budget; otherwise advance replacement of the pick up and oil pump every 30 hours

Caged chassis + reinforced suspension and x members + solid mounts+ no rubber anywhere + full racing everything = destruction of engine via harmonics (eventually)

destroyed oil pickup has little pieces of its casting alu in the suction screen.

Valve head from #6, piston pin surround from #6, c clip for pin not pictured but intact (and floating in oil pan)

Rod Bearings are not destroyed... - none were spun but did show slight starvation as our oil pump was destroyed internally.

OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

that is so thoroughly and completely nuked

you think the solid motor mounts contributed?
    cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
      that is so thoroughly and completely nuked

you think the solid motor mounts contributed?

I cant think of anything that nuked the oil pick up besides vibrations from billet mounts. Nothing touched it or came close to it; the pan was perfecto

The pickup was bolted on solid and sealed to the oil pump; both 10mm screw/nut were tight

this however was useless as the giant hole would feed our oil pump both metal AND Air!

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
        I suggest those with delusions of grandeur regarding the strength of stock OEM BMW engines under heavy stress to review these photos.
        Wow. This one single failure has completely changed my mind about the reliability of BMW engines. I'm now gonna completely ignore the thousands of them that have been out there racing reliably for collective millions of miles. Thank you for this information!

Comment

Was anyone surprised by this?
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I don't know why people think that billet mounts are a good idea.
            -P

Moosehead Engineering

Comment

Originally posted by mooseheadm5 View Post
              I don't know why people think that billet mounts are a good idea.
              they are not; They were all we had avail to us for ($0 dollars locally)

When you run lemons in a field of 200+ and risk another car re-shaping your front apron and radiator clearance............... you probably want those solid mounts

Originally posted by Liquidity View Post
              Wow. This one single failure has completely changed my mind about the reliability of BMW engines. I'm now gonna completely ignore the thousands of them that have been out there racing reliably for collective millions of miles. Thank you for this information!
              how many millions of miles has yours been racing? Do you log the hours?

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
              Was anyone surprised by this?
              I wasn't. Have seen M20 crankshafts broken in 2 places with rods still attached -

Comment

So I guess I need to come up with a not solid but fail-safe mount. I've been thinking of this.
                -P

Moosehead Engineering

Comment

i don't know why people think that billet mounts are a good idea.
                  bcuz rcecr
                  1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

So I guess I need to come up with a not solid but fail-safe mount. I've been thinking of this.
                    the vorshlag style through-bolt mount with poly sandwiched between metal cups is probably the best approach I've seen.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                      bcuz rcecr
                      our lemon uses thick-wall square tube for motor mounts bcuz $0
                      cars beep boop

Comment

yes, it would be cheaper/easier than replacing oil pumps and broken apart pickups on a preemptive schedule

Comment

Did someone say "mounts"?
                          sigpic
                          Streetable poly mounts, trans mounts are here!
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=streetable
                          '94 318i
                          '07 335i
                          '11 X5
                          '89 325ic m30b35

Comment

S52?
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                              how many millions of miles has yours been racing? Do you log the hours?
                              That's really your argument? Seriously? That logging your hours somehow makes your engine failure more relevant?

Listen up everybody! Wangan logs his hours! He's the expert of all BMW racing now! All of the time you've been reliably racing your BMW engine, it doesn't matter anymore, Wangan is here to tell you your engine is unreliable!

Comment

Working...
                              X