Rallycross Downshifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris916 View Post
    Only if you don't rev match properly. Ideally you want to be on the brakes as hard as possible while heel-toe downshifting so that when you are ready to get back on the gas, you are in the correct gear at the proper rpm to maximize acceleration. It's not rocket science, just takes practice to perfect. But it is something that can make a good driver into a really good driver, and can save valuable time getting through the corner.

You are reiterating what I was taught. Rev matching is to least upset the car in a cornering situation. The shift should be as smooth as possible, and the engine RPM to wheel ratio is minimized.

When down shifting in a track scenario, a passenger wouldn't know it happened.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Im gonna chime in here a bit. I do a little Rallycross in my E30. I also do Track events and autox.

Heel Toe downshifting is a must for a smooth controlled transition. Just practice Heel Toe. find a way that is most comfortable to you and practice. Eventually, it will be second nature much like shfiting in general. I mean when you drive your car every day, you dont really think about going to the next gear. you just kind of do it.

As for the mechanical side of the transmission stuff. Be careful with solid mounts. this can lead to broken ears on the transmission. A good set of stock mounts or slightly stiffer aftermarket ones are best in my opinion. I am using AKG Swap mounts on the engine and new stock trans mounts.

Good luck, and stick with it.

Comment

I was always taught to never use the engine for braking
        Sometimes, though, (again with the 2002) a bit of engine braking in the right part
        of a corner can step the rear out. Usually a light, controlled lift will do it.
        When it's rotated enough, you ease back into the
        throttle, and the rear hooks up. And you're now pointed in the right direction,
        so you can unwind lock and get onto the throttle. The E30 does it too, but to a lesser
        extent. It can be pretty subtle, but looking at data from a corner where it
        works, you can sometimes make as much as half a second in the corner,
        and 3-4 mph exiting onto the straight. Kevin York, in T2 at Pacific Raceways
        before they repaved it, taught me that.

And yeah, there are some places and some conditions
        where you end up having to shift mid- corner. Which is
        why you work on your smoothness BEFORE you get there!

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

RallyX is too violent to heel and toe correctly. I punch the throttle just prior to pushing in the clutch, grab 1st, release clutch as revs are coming back down. The engine braking is vital to proper rotation the way I drive my E30. If your'e worrying about hurting the driveline... well, wrong sport.
          sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

I ALWAYS double clutch down... I taught myself a few years ago when the weather was cold and trans oil is cold. Double clutching saves wear on the syncros because the work on the part of the syncros is much less because you've done the matching the input shaft speed to the output sahft speed for each gear.

How I do it...
            1. clutch in.
            2 shift to N
            3 release clutch.
            4 rev motor in N
            5 clutch in while revs are slightly past point of gear I want.
            6 find gear.
            7 let clutch out.

Or more simply, double pump the clutch when shifting, once into gear and once out of gear.

It happens so fast and its become so engrained into my muscle memory that I can do this without thinking even the slightest. This technique, when done *right* provides the most satisfying feeling when you've nailed it and the shifter falls into the next gear with almost no effort.

Heel/toe can easily be done with some practice... What I do is slightly different, I do big toe on the brake and little toe on the gas, with a twist of the foot for the rev match.
            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
            Originally posted by roguetoaster
            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
              Heel/toe can easily be done with some practice... What I do is slightly different, I do big toe on the brake and little toe on the gas, with a twist of the foot for the rev match.
              It's still called heel toe. ;)

I do something similar using the ball of my foot on the brake and roll my foot over for the gas.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
              X