Squared vs Staggered Wheel/Tire Setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squared vs Staggered Wheel/Tire Setups

So while in working on my 91 318i, I've started thinking about future wheel tire combo. Just want to start a thread talking about the pros and cons of running either a squared setup (which is what I plan to do) or a staggered setup and how it will affect the e30 chassis on the track/autox course. Also I would like to know a lil more on tire fitment vs the width of the wheels, the do's and dont's.
    I just want to spark a good conversation on this matter.

Note: im talking strictly about how this will affect a car on the track. No "stance talk" lol
    Squared Wheel/Tire Setup
    84.62%
    Staggered Wheel/Tire Setup
    15.38%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Reub_e30; 04-19-2016, 03:37 AM.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Daily: 06 Chevy Colorado (wannabe racetruck)
    Drift/Track Car: 91 Bmw 318i 4dr

with a 318, you dont need a lot of tire and definitely dont need anything staggered. a 15x8 with a good 205 tire would be more than enough to drive balls out with more grip than you need
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      with a 318, you dont need a lot of tire and definitely dont need anything staggered. a 15x8 with a good 205 tire would be more than enough to drive balls out with more grip than you need
      +1

even a 15x7 or 7.5 will work for you too

Comment

Not nessarily talking about my setup. So let's keep it on topic guys
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Daily: 06 Chevy Colorado (wannabe racetruck)
        Drift/Track Car: 91 Bmw 318i 4dr

Comment

well, if you like understeer - staggered is the way to go. Not sure why you would want a setup like that for autox - even if you aren't talking about your specific car, few E30s make enough power that they need a bigger rear tire. it's mostly just for looks.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Ive got 205s all around, but their on 7in wheels up front and 8in wheels in back. Had my first 2 autox events this weekend. I did have understeer and tire roll issues up front. Some driving style and tire pressure adjustments helped a ton, but I do still wish I could fit some 8in wide wheels up front to help prevent tire roll. I have the 7s to clear the rx7 brakes up front.

Comment

Yeah, I don't see any huge need for extra rear rubber when you're limited by entry cornering
              speed- front grip with E30 geometry struts is hard to come by.

And while you could 'reverse stagger' for extra front grip and then adjust
              spring rates and such to balance the car, now you'd just be rear- grip limited... maybe...
              ...but for no real advantage.

Whereas, if all 4 are the same, you can swap rims around for wear, grip, and
              heck, even heat- as in, stick the fronts on the back if you're doing runs close together.

Now, a V8 swapped E30, that's a different beast... as is forced induction. Anything
              that can make real torque will want more in back...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I was pondering this myself...running an S52, with decent suspension and -3.5 front camber, the front of the car feels amazeballs...but the rear is a little more lively...I know it is hard to put wide fronts on,be an with flares (with the body itself being the issue), but the rears should have no such issues with flares...
                Originally posted by LJ851
                kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                #teamross
                Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

no need for stagger at all.
                  I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

...except after 6- pack or more, then stagger becomes inevitable...

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

You really don't start seeing much stagger until you get into some classes with pretty serious aero. And I don't mean "diffusers" and 5 foot tall wings you see with the time attack/NASA crowd
                      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

on this car, stagger is really just for look.

with squared setups, you have the ability to rotate your tires.

pertaining to the project i am working on, i have a set of square 17x8 alpinas(5x120). the engine is an s62, so 400hp may be a lot for a 215 tire. i am thinking about getting a pair of 17x9's for the rear but i honestly just prefer squared sets.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I have more power than an E30 chassis deserves and I still think there wouldn't ever be a need for a staggered setup. My thought process is this as follows.. Whether you have 300hp or 600hp, without retarded huge and proven aero, you're going to be entering and maintaining speed on the corner to the limit of your mechanical grip as well as the E30 besides you.. assuming you both have the same polished suspension setup..
                          Considering that, all I can see happening with staggered wheels/tire is understeer.

Yeah theoretically it could make sense to put a bigger wheel/tire in the rear if you're making big power to keep it under control (not oversteer), but I never found myself ever the need to pin throttle on a corner because I knew it will grip because it just.. won't?
                          I feel like if there is a need to promote or lessen understeer/oversteer due to power, tires and wheel size should be kept equal to keep true and suspension settings/aero should be modified instead.

I'm all ears to hear any rebuttals in my thinking since this is an interesting topic and I'd also like to learn/listen to opinions.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I run a "square" tire setup, but I and many others do run a wider front track then rear (via spacers.) So it gives the illusion of a reverse stagger.

Plus, with a square tire setup, you need to carry less spares. Running enduros, we have issues with incidents on track causing abnormal tire wear, and so sometimes just to complete a race, you rotate the tires around the car. With a staggered setup, you are just creating extra complication should this need arise.
                            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                            2016 Ford Flex
                            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by Reub_e30 View Post
                              Not nessarily talking about my setup. So let's keep it on topic guys
                              what does this mean?...

whats not on topic here?

?...
                              I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Working...
                              X