No announcement yet.

5 point harness install tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing I really care about is that it is safe enough for track days, and something along the lines of grid life time attack if I ever get to that point. My car wasn't built for wheel to wheel racing, and will never conform to any particular racing class.

The only other solution I can think of is getting a harness bar that people would typically run with a 4 point harness, but i'm not sure if those will even fit at this point with the roll bar installed.

Comment

It's rare that any HPDE group would tech-inspect or care about your bar and harnesses, so no matter what you do, they're going to let you on the track. The question is, how much do you value your own safety?

Jimmy, you've led me down a rabbit hole of looking at old Group N and Group A roll bar designs. Gustave's site has some good examples analyzed as well.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
        The question is, how much do you value your own safety?
        I suppose if I looked at it only that way, I would never even sit in a gutted out, motor swapped, turbo death trap from the '80s and spend the god only knows how much I have "invested" in this thing in a modern car, lol...

I'm going to try to mock up some new seat brackets and think a bit more, but it looks like ill be reinforcing the trunk firewall/parcel shelf...

Next time I do a build like this I swear I'm stripping the car to bare metal and building everything to my specs...

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
          Jimmy, you've led me down a rabbit hole of looking at old Group N and Group A roll bar designs. Gustave's site has some good examples analyzed as well.
          There was an excellent thread on the subject of the E30 cage that ran on S14.net.

I am getting ready to start a roll cage in the DS track car and want to see if there are any new best practices that are being implemented into cages that I

Lots of good reading and pictures if the links still work.
          Jimmy P.
          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
          92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
          98 318Ti Morea Green
          04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
            Next time I do a build like this I swear I'm stripping the car to bare metal and building everything to my specs...
            These are the most overlooked and under-used words in all of car-dom.

A plaque with these words inscribed on it should come with every set of tools.
            I could not agree more.
            Jimmy P.
            87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
            88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
            88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
            92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
            98 318Ti Morea Green
            04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

So this would be the best angle I could achieve if I was to literally use the side mount rails to essentially sit the seat over the factory bolt
              Locations. I could accept this driving position. Trying to use the angle finder, but there really isn’t the space to get it in position. This looks to be somewhere around 20 degrees. Safe enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by haaken675; 01-14-2019, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X