No announcement yet.

betafoam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want me to fly up to Toronto for you and see if I can find anything? I'd be more than happy to help.

Comment

Originally posted by FJ40 View Post
      That is seriously hilarious.

Actually, to answer your question seriously, I think what would be most desirable would be some memory foam. It might be a pain to install, but the gains would surely be worth it.

try here: http://www.memoryfoamfactory.com/
      Is that a joke? The idea is the make the car stiffer not sleep better.

Comment

Originally posted by MarshallM View Post
        Is that a joke? The idea is the make the car stiffer not sleep better.

lmao, ive though about doing this. but i don't want the rust. I'm sure theres some sort of "drainage" holes in the rockers. I haven't really scoped out all of my cars drain system but clogging them doesn't seem like a great idea. unless the car never seen rain or a car wash.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

I'm really interested in this if the water retention concern gets addressed. I need all the rigidity I can get!
          -Dave
          2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

i don't think water will be a problem, All the draining parts of the car really doesnt go threw the structural parts. Except for like the sunroof but that runs threw a tube

this is the only place where i can find reputable stuff. Anybody know of any U.S. distributors?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

here just found this. http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html
              sigpic
              Bmw 332i 260whp 240wtq N/a
              Lexus GS400 280whp

Comment

There was recently and article for this in the BMW owner's magazine. The new 5 series uses a chassis foam. It is inserted into the frame rails and then it expands when the car is put in the oven to cure the paint.

Also many SUV's use this technology.

And as stated, there is a noticeable increase in rigidity and a very large difference in sound deadening. This is why it is very useful in larger luxury cars.

But for the same amount of effort, you could seam weld a chassis which will have a much bigger effect on rigidity.

Comment

Originally posted by mkodama View Post
                  But for the same amount of effort, you could seam weld a chassis which will have a much bigger effect on rigidity.
                  Couldnt you do both, or would that be a bit of overkill?
                  My name is Kendall feel free to use it.
                  Xbox gamertag = ITB4ag
                  go figure, add me for Forza 2 drift/grip

Comment

back when these foams first became popular I remember seeing something in the area of 5-15% less chassis flex, which for what they are, aside from being a PITA to install, is pretty freaking nice.

I will try and find some old write ups.

Comment

An old corolla work log...

"I started out with a 1986 Corolla GTS 3 door hatchback… why hatch? Well, no other reason than the fact that it was the one that was readily available at the time. Knowing the deficiency of structural rigidity of the 3 door (actually the 2 door as well to lesser extent), my first goal was to give it an overall reinforcement without hurting the interior space and convenience. The front inner aprons were replaced to make sure there were no damages and stress cracks. After body alignment, additional spot welds were added to the front clip at many places I saw possibility of weakness and potential damage. The locations were the frame rail meets the firewall bulkhead, I welded a L-brace to divert the stress and increase welded surface, as it is common to have cracks here. The second step in structural reinforcement involves the use of expansion polyurethane to fill doorsills and rocker panels. The 2 part, high-density mix is used to solidify hollow areas of the mid-chassis and cabin floor pan. It has been tested to increase torsional rigidity of the AE86 3 door by 45% percent as opposed to 11% by 6 point roll cage, though I suppose the roll cage would be stronger in a roll over… I hate the idea of having metal bars all over the interior to hit my head on (I don’t drive with a helmet to work…) Anyway; I’m still trying to decide on the last 3rd of the car, the back end… I decided that spot welding, seam welds, and tower cross bar would be the logical way…"

I hope this helps a little.
                      My name is Kendall feel free to use it.
                      Xbox gamertag = ITB4ag
                      go figure, add me for Forza 2 drift/grip

Comment

Bump. Anyone done this that wants to chime in where they injected the foam? Impressions?

Comment

i use the foam regularly in body work. there is something you need to keep in mind with the stuff.
                          1. it dries FAST you will usually go through 2-3 tips per tube of foam. that is if you have everything ready to go and don't have to stop and wait for anything.

2. the are different expansion rates to the foam. if you use a high expansion foam to fill sheet metal covered areas (like the C pillar) it can deform the panel when it expands
                          seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

der affe, what brand of foam do you use and which model do you use in what areas?

Comment

mostly evercoat. i used it on Mercedes, a bunch of Cadillacs in the "C" pillars there is about 4 tubes on each side, several ford trucks. some porsche boxters,...i am sure there is others i am leaving out

in some cases you will need to make a "dam" to let the foam build up where you want it to and not go everywhere
                              seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                              X