Sparco harness Bar install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JGood View Post
    Hopefully not in your street car, without the helmet and H&NR.
    Crashed a few 510s on the track... I was a lousy race car driver... They should have kept me in the shop and never let me behind the wheel.

When I was 20 I flipped a car off the freeway (Stupid drunk)... Broke nearly everything...Almost killed me.

Everyone called me Mad Max because I wore a brace like his on my left leg until I was 26 or 27.

Comment

So you would put a cage in a street car?
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

So you would put a cage in a street car?
        Yeah, I think I would...

I don't have one in my DD but the car I use to test shit will probably get one welded in soon (I gave up on building a good bolt in).

The funniest part of the story I didn't mention...

This brace was stainless steel bar with leather straps and a steel gear on each side of the knee joint...

I took that leg brace and re-fabricated an ultra light weight molly version with titanium hardware and Nomex / Velcro (Velcro was pretty new) straps.

(Improvement.... It's a kind of mental illness)

Comment

Originally posted by DSP74
          So you can weld ti?

Care to do small batches?
          Are you asking me?

and if so I missed the question.

Comment

Yes.
            sigpic

88 325is

Comment

I used to own a harness bar in my M3, I will never own one again after seeing this.

I witnessed this 4 point bar save this poor guy at BIR. Notice how the roof is deformed around the bar? Saved the guys life IMO...

Originally posted by Simon S
              When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

and another...

Originally posted by Simon S
                When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

Car won't be accepted at BMWCCA HPDEs as it sports a harness and no rollover protection. Most clubs ban such set-up.
                  Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by DCColegrove View Post
                    Crashed a few 510s on the track... I was a lousy race car driver... They should have kept me in the shop and never let me behind the wheel.

When I was 20 I flipped a car off the freeway (Stupid drunk)... Broke nearly everything...Almost killed me.

Everyone called me Mad Max because I wore a brace like his on my left leg until I was 26 or 27.
                    What a let down. If you followed through you wouldn't be here to randomly post about yourself in peoples' threads.

Who the hell would run a harness bar???? (Unless you like funerals or wheel chairs)

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
                      Who the hell would run a harness bar???? (Unless you like funerals or wheel chairs)

Same person who would run a cage in a street car.

What ever happened to a safety 'package'? People just throw random safety parts at cars now and think it's gong to help. Roll bar with stock belts? Sure, why not?

DC, if you run a cage in your street car, what happens when you get t-boned at 15 mph (it happens, happened to me a few years ago), and you bounce your head off a bar? SFI 45.1 padding isn't going to save a bare skull (even your thick one :)). The only way to prevent that is to wear a helmet and harness. Then what happens when you hit something head on? You better have your H&NR on. If you're telling me you're gonna be wearing all that in your street car, well, I don't even know what to say to that.
                      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                      e30 restoration and V8 swap
                      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDuper View Post
                        and another...

I hate seeing this......That really sucks.

Must have slid into the grass sideways?
                        sigpic

88 325is

Comment

Same person who would run a cage in a street car.

What ever happened to a safety 'package'? People just throw random safety parts at cars now and think it's gong to help. Roll bar with stock belts? Sure, why not?

DC, if you run a cage in your street car, what happens when you get t-boned at 15 mph (it happens, happened to me a few years ago), and you bounce your head off a bar? SFI 45.1 padding isn't going to save a bare skull (even your thick one :)). The only way to prevent that is to wear a helmet and harness. Then what happens when you hit something head on? You better have your H&NR on. If you're telling me you're gonna be wearing all that in your street car, well, I don't even know what to say to that.
                          So how do you feel about a 4pt in a street car, which is my plan. I maiy want it for chassis stiffness and secure harness mounting for auto-x/HPDE
                          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

you know there are cages made for the street with low crash bars i really dont get why you all have such a hardon for this guy

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                              So how do you feel about a 4pt in a street car, which is my plan. I maiy want it for chassis stiffness and secure harness mounting for auto-x/HPDE
                              A 4-point rollbar in a street driven car is much safer than a full rollcage as your body is unlikely to hit any tubing, which can't be said with a full cage. When I drive to an event with my fully caged 2002, I kinda feel pretty scared. I do have both types of paddings, but they were made for contact with helmets. Having any tube as far as possible from my head (falsely) reassures me.
                              Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by DSP74 View Post
                                I hate seeing this......That really sucks.

Must have slid into the grass sideways?
                                Better see a car damaged around a roll bar than someone paralyzed or dead without. Like the guy who died in the past year tracking a cooper with 4 point harnesses and no roll protection.

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                                Generally... Pick None or Pick Three:
                                Roll bar
                                Fixed back seats
                                Harness

As Massive said, it is better because there is no bar to the side or front of your noggin... although if your seat back on a reclinable SRD breaks (as intended) and your 3 point belt lets you slide to the center... you may take out your skull via the cross-bar of the roll bar. (Which some approve of a back brace on a reclinable, etc.)

People go with fixed back seats and 4 point harnesses for Auto-X and take a risk... but I like walking so no thanks. We've had someone flip a M3 LTW auto-xing... $4!# happens

I'm eventually going to get a Role Position for me and move my 5pt SRD to passenger (with a back brace), 4 point rollbar and a pair of 6 points harnesses. Until then, CG-lock, stock belts, and reclinable recaros.

Comment

Working...
                                X