Sparco harness Bar install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BMWLA View Post
    you know there are cages made for the street with low crash bars i really dont get why you all have such a hardon for this guy
    What does that have to do with hitting your head on the main hoop?

Get off his nutsack.

Originally posted by BMWLA View Post
    street 6pt cage has a loop and front crash bars just above hip hight

And they suck as a roll cage so you might as well not have one at all.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
      I've seen similar setups around the NCC. It's not cheap, we're talking like a 1500 dollar deductible, plus something like 500 for the weekend. Makes sense for something like a 996 or E46 M3, not so much for a 1500 dollar e30.

-Charlie
      Glad that the local guys have done more shopping.

I'm not so worried about finding another shell, but it you say wadded up an E30 like that Porsche, suspension wheels, now your cage, seats, harnesses everything else start to add up really quick.

Basically I could get the E30 insured for $10k for less than $75 a day and have a $1000 deductible. So $9k to replace the wheels/coilovers/cage and the car. So someone like me who has $2k in wheels/tires, $2k in suspension, etc etc, how is such a low amount not worth it to be able to replace it.

HPDE Insurance BUY NOW High Performance Driver Education Insurance Lockton Motorsports offers a policy that covers what standard auto insurance won't—damage to your car when you're participating in HPDE, track day, or time trial events.

Link to the thread on the local board:

*awaits more hating*
      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
        Glad that the local guys have done more shopping.

I'm not so worried about finding another shell, but it you say wadded up an E30 like that Porsche, suspension wheels, now your cage, seats, harnesses everything else start to add up really quick.

Basically I could get the E30 insured for $10k for less than $75 a day and have a $1000 deductible. So $9k to replace the wheels/coilovers/cage and the car. So someone like me who has $2k in wheels/tires, $2k in suspension, etc etc, how is such a low amount not worth it to be able to replace it.

HPDE Insurance BUY NOW High Performance Driver Education Insurance Lockton Motorsports offers a policy that covers what standard auto insurance won't—damage to your car when you're participating in HPDE, track day, or time trial events.

Link to the thread on the local board:

*awaits more hating*

If they really truly offer that service for that price, then yes, it is worth it IMO. That's unheard of though, the estimates posted in this thread are more in line with what I've seen in the past.

Nobody is hating.

Comment

For all of us, I'm going to request a copy of the policy and read through the provisions of the contract and see if there is something in there they are hiding.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

For all of us, I'm going to request a copy of the policy and read through the provisions of the contract and see if there is something in there they are hiding.

Too bad it's only for certain clubs, otherwise I'd consider using it.

Comment

*awaits more hating*
              No hating, just re-read this post because it's full of good points:

Comment

Well...

This is a waste of typing but..

On a street cage the headache bar is positioned farther back and from that you run "crash bars" forward that run low down the side ending at the base of the "A" pillar...

Not the ideal roll cage but better than nothing.... Strengthens the chassis as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DCColegrove View Post
                  Well...

This is a waste of typing but..

On a street cage the headache bar is positioned farther back and from that you run "crash bars" forward that run low down the side ending at the base of the "A" pillar...

Not the ideal roll cage but better than nothing.... Strengthens the chassis as well.

I think a "street cage" is an oxymoron. Cages are not for the street. They are part of a race cars safety package (see: the last 3 pages of this thread).

I don't really care what was done back in the day. Safety improvements happen daily, and it's important to stay up to date. What was mandated in Formula 1 one year might be not even good enough for a club race the next year.

Not saying I'm not open to your ideas, but I've yet to hear ANYONE recommend a cage for street use, besides the manufactures claiming their cage to be a "street sport" cage or some other marketing bullshit.

It's like arguing that NOT wearing a seat belt can save your life. Yes, in that .5% chance that a freak accident happens where you are benefited from not wearing a seat belt. 9 times outta 10, your "safety" cage is going to fuck you up, without the rest of the gear to go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
                    No hating, just re-read this post because it's full of good points:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...4&postcount=61
                    I'm well aware of not taking something to the track you aren't prepared to wad up, hell I wadded up my R6 pretty close to totalling. So I fixed it and sold it. However, my point was if you have a nice street car that you'd like to track, affordable insurance coverage for an event would be worth it.

After reading through their policy, I want to find out what they use to determine depreciation and such.

I'll post up the full policy when I get home from work.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                      I think a "street cage" is an oxymoron. Cages are not for the street. They are part of a race cars safety package (see: the last 3 pages of this thread).

I don't really care what was done back in the day. Safety improvements happen daily, and it's important to stay up to date. What was mandated in Formula 1 one year might be not even good enough for a club race the next year.

Not saying I'm not open to your ideas, but I've yet to hear ANYONE recommend a cage for street use, besides the manufactures claiming their cage to be a "street sport" cage or some other marketing bullshit.

It's like arguing that NOT wearing a seat belt can save your life. Yes, in that .5% chance that a freak accident happens where you are benefited from not wearing a seat belt. 9 times outta 10, your "safety" cage is going to fuck you up, without the rest of the gear to go with it.
                      This is all true.

However:

The e30 is an 18 year old car at best...

I don't know how safe you feel in them but I'd feel better sitting next to a pipe that indeed might bruise my kidney (or hell even rupture it) in a side impact than having a Honda in my lap.

And as I have stated before... A lot of the stuff available out there is not only shit but dangerous shit...

Like jumping off a roof wearing a jungle gym.

Comment

This is all true.

I don't know how safe you feel in them but I'd feel better sitting next to a pipe that indeed might bruise my kidney (or hell even rupture it) in a side impact than having a Honda in my lap.
                        That's the thing, it's not a little broken bone or minor flesh wound. It's a skull impact that will kill you.

And if you hit something hard enough to compress the crumple zones that much, imagine what would happen in your cagemobile without a harness, etc... You know what a body does when it hits steel at 40g's? I'll take a door panel and sheet metal over a solid steel structure any day if I'm not strapped securely within said structure.

Comment

That's the thing, it's not a little broken bone or minor flesh wound. It's a skull impact that will kill you.

And if you hit something hard enough to compress the crumple zones that much, imagine what would happen in your cagemobile without a harness, etc... You know what a body does when it hits steel at 40g's? I'll take a door panel and sheet metal over a solid steel structure any day if I'm not strapped securely within said structure.
                          I do wear a 4 point harness (mostly to keep me behind the wheel)... and the "street" crash bar is well below your noggin and the loop is well behind (don't have one now, nor am I sure I will).

And I do know what happens... Remember... Six weeks in a hospital and the Mad Max moniker.

I also get your point. But if you want to see black you will see black... If you want to see white you will see white.... I do myself it as well.

Comment

But if you want to see black you will see black... If you want to see white you will see white.... I do myself it as well.

At least I'll be alive to see something

Alright, I'll throw in the towel. There is enough info in this thread on both sides for people to make their own decision.

More info can be found at corner-carvers.com and the bf.c track forum

Comment

How do you guys feel about the 4 point Schroth Harnesses with ASM?

I was thinking about the fixed back seat thing and looking at the angle I keep my Sport seat anyway, so I'm going to try to sit in some and see if I can find a comfortable one to use on the street.

It's fuh raze to have one in a street car I think, but the idea of stripping down the interior before and after every auto-x/hpde would get old.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

How do you guys feel about the 4 point Schroth Harnesses with ASM?

Are you serious?

It's not worth risking. Get a safety package that WORKS. If you want that whole package to feel safer on the track, then do it, but get it all, install it at the same time, and install it properly.
                                But then again, there's some guys running 4 point harnesses to the base of the back seat with no bar whatsoever and R-comps... and somehow convinced their instructor it is fine.
                                \The chance of serious injury with harnesses and no rollover protection vs. a stock system just makes it not worth it to me.
                                Originally posted by SuperDuper View Post
                                I witnessed this 4 point bar save this poor guy at BIR. Notice how the roof is deformed around the bar? Saved the guys life IMO...
                                Originally posted by Massive Lee View Post
                                Car won't be accepted at BMWCCA HPDEs as it sports a harness and no rollover protection. Most clubs ban such set-up.

Like the guy who died in the past year tracking a cooper with 4 point harnesses and no roll protection.

Generally... Pick None or Pick Three:
                                Roll bar
                                Fixed back seats
                                Harness

People go with fixed back seats and 4 point harnesses for Auto-X and take a risk... but I like walking so no thanks. We've had someone flip a M3 LTW auto-xing... $4!# happens

Comment

Working...
                                X