X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9lb Magnesium Wheel

How the hell did they pull this off?
    Originally posted by jrhaile
    For the record I have never fucked a goat.

Mg is super light...and super flamable. Those are amazing rims! I wonder how succeptable to bending Mg rims are.
    Randall Prince
    http://www.rp1.us/ Used Cars

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceE30 View Post
      Mg is super light...and super flamable. Those are amazing rims! I wonder how succeptable to bending Mg rims are.
      I wouldn't say super flamable... In small pieces (chips, shavings, etc) yes you can ignite it. But in large pieces with high mass, its not so easy to ignite.

BMW, after all, uses magnesium partially for its engine blocks...

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceE30 View Post
        MG rims are not durable at all.
        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
          MG rims are not durable at all.
          but they will probably be ok for dedicated track use.
          Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
          That Guy.
          03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkmasta View Post
            but they will probably be ok for dedicated track use.
            If you're in a position where you're looking for that last 1/10th of a second maybe.

I watched my friend who races motorcycles, and whose dad is a former AMA champ, and sometimes Mg wheels would get bent and destroyed just going off track, not even wrecking, just riding in the pot marked ground.

And they were screwed up in wrecks.

I'd stay with a lightweight, cheaper yet still strong forged aluminum wheel.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
              If you're in a position where you're looking for that last 1/10th of a second maybe.

I watched my friend who races motorcycles, and whose dad is a former AMA champ, and sometimes Mg wheels would get bent and destroyed just going off track, not even wrecking, just riding in the pot marked ground.

And they were screwed up in wrecks.

I'd stay with a lightweight, cheaper yet still strong forged aluminum wheel.

I was saying in comparison to driving them on the street, where they have no chance of survival. On the track, they will probably be OK, since the pavement is maintained well. ;)
              Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
              That Guy.
              03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

^That's why I posted the example I did.

A privateer, with a substantial budget, think $10-15k in the motors alone, and the minute increase in performance did not justify the loss of reliabililty and increased cost..........for someone using them solely on the track.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

[quote=Z3Jonathan;1064002]I wouldn't say super flamable... In small pieces (chips, shavings, etc) yes you can ignite it. quote]

And actually it is not flammable. It is a combustible metal.

Comment

Yeah, I would definitely not want a soft wheel on the track...
                    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                    e30 restoration and V8 swap
                    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

And I would definitely not want one-size-fits-all wheels at all.

Comment

[quote=makaio;1064305]
                        Originally posted by Z3Jonathan View Post
                        I wouldn't say super flamable... In small pieces (chips, shavings, etc) yes you can ignite it. quote]

And actually it is not flammable. It is a combustible metal.
                        IIRC, it smolders and is hard to extinguish.

Hallibrands were mags (magnesium), correct? Didn't a bunch of race cars use mags?
                        I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

EMPI used to make BRM wheels that were something like 90% mag for air cooled vw's. i remember when the whole empi collecting thing blew up, i used to see lots of them coming out of the woodwork. most of them were cracked in the stress points and needed to be repaired. they were also very susceptible to water damage if left to sit in storage.

has anybody ever tried to do a 2 piece spun alum. wheel for bmws ala centerline or similar?

the second and third link is for ERCO. he will custom make wheels for just about any bolt pattern/offset you want, as well as custom cut outs, and or holes for cooling. they come in either weld together or bolt together (so you can replace either half if you gaffle a wheel). when i was at the VW shop i sold a lot of his wheels and even had a set made for my street strip turbo bug. great quality!
                          Last edited by der affe; 05-11-2008, 11:01 PM.
                          seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
                            EMPI used to make BRM wheels that were something like 90% mag for air cooled vw's. i remember when the whole empi collecting thing blew up, i used to see lots of them coming out of the woodwork. most of them were cracked in the stress points and needed to be repaired. they were also very susceptible to water damage if left to sit in storage.

has anybody ever tried to do a 2 piece spun alum. wheel for bmws ala centerline or similar?
                            EMPI. That's a blast from the past! I had a '63 Notch and a '64 Square :D EMPI wide pattern Porsche alloys on the Notch and 8-spoke on the Square.

I think the centerline style would limit brake cooling and heat up the wheel bearing and wheel bearing grease.
                            I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

i dont think they would produce a pure MG wheel. its an alloy just like 'aluminum' wheels are not pure.

Also, hasnt Benz been using MG wheels for a very long time?

Originally posted by vlad
                              Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Working...
                              X