Track Day Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    maybe, but not if you have a high enough redline, and a motor capable of making power up there. a schrick 288 is definitely capable of 7200rpm.

See below

valid points, but I haven't noticed anything with these, other than maybe weight. and they're still lighter than an equivalent street tire. technically, the 225/45s are undersized. I wouldn't mind either, really.
    Some BMW CCA race drivers (some could compete on a professional level) can tell if a an extra pound in one tire will improve handling at a particular track or at an important corner. I'm not even close to that level, however, I did notice quite a difference between 205/45/16's and 205/50/16's. The 45's were much sharper than the 50's. Or it could be a placebo effect?

Originally posted by Dyno4mance View Post
    What would be an alternative to the 4:10....? 3:93 or 3:73 or even lower??
    Finally got it running tonight...will be hitting the dyno tomorrow hope my problems are behind me now...
    I think your engine's power band will help you decide which final drive is right for the tracks you run. My favorite track is Buttonwillow, a technical layout with a lot of corners. My M20's 177hp and 4:10 are perfect for this track.
    I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

A few more videos

Next up will be a local autocross before I hit the track proper....
      Incar footage to come...

2.7L M20 11:1 COMP 195 whp Dyno Dynamics 2380lbs

Comment

Haha, you are having a lot of fun.... Awesome !!!
        sigpic

Comment

Just a quick update.....Just got off the dyno with the racecar and it is nearly ready for some track action...
          I have a bit of partial throttle mapping left to do but I was quite happy with the results thus far
          Car wieghs in at 2,480 lbs (1127kg for our metric friends)
          Here are the dyno results in good ol HP to the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics Dyno (this equates to around 220 flywheel
          And I have included a graph showing Kw for our Australian and S African friends....

Comment

That is impressive my friend.... Very impressive for a NA motor...
            sigpic

Comment

No baseline? Just curious is all. Either way im seriously green with envy.
              Now to go tear apart that super ETA i just bought...

------------------------------------------------
              DAMN WHERES MY BENTLY!!!

Comment

hell yea
                e30s r kool

Comment

Well done, those are excellent results.

The motor looks like it will be a pleasure to drive ; the torque is very good low down and horsepower doesn't fall off before redline. That torque curve should give you very good drive out tighter corners.

I hope there are other E30s on track in your area. Your engine should eat most M20s.

Comment

nice and solid, did you end up getting MS from Ely? whats your ignition map look like out of curiousity?
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by ikkitousen View Post
                      No baseline? Just curious is all. Either way im seriously green with envy.
                      Now to go tear apart that super ETA i just bought...

------------------------------------------------
                      DAMN WHERES MY BENTLY!!!
                      I bought the car as a non running m42 318is so there was no opportunity to baseline anything.....
                      FWIW spec e30 cars that run a stock 325 m20 produce btween 140 and 145whp on our dyno

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        nice and solid, did you end up getting MS from Ely? whats your ignition map look like out of curiousity?
                        I did get the ms from Ely but we had to re-do alot of the board as it was not configured correctly for MS2 extra
                        I will post individual maps next week once it is fully done...

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
                          Well done, those are excellent results.

The motor looks like it will be a pleasure to drive ; the torque is very good low down and horsepower doesn't fall off before redline. That torque curve should give you very good drive out tighter corners.

I hope there are other E30s on track in your area. Your engine should eat most M20s.
                          Thanks for the props....is yours repaired yet?

Comment

Very nice dyno! Car looks clean as hell.

Turbo M20, MSnS, 38lb, 3" no cat, RPI 12.2", ATS DTC, 240whp/240wtq, Lmnop. www.DonsGarage.net

Comment

Originally posted by Dyno4mance View Post
                              I did get the ms from Ely but we had to re-do alot of the board as it was not configured correctly for MS2 extra
                              I will post individual maps next week once it is fully done...
                              cool, looking forward to seeing what your ignition looks like compared to mine. I went to the dyno yesterday and added another 10whp from the last time I was there - which makes it 20 peak HP more over motronic and probably 30hp more in the upper RPM area (won't know until they email me the files). I also put down more than a 2005 330xi with a bunch of dinan crap on it which made me pretty happy. Too bad the AWD sucks so much out of it before it reaches the ground!

oh are you running the MS2/extra 2.1.0 RC3 (or what may be the release by now)? if not I highly reccomend it. was a huge improvement over what I've been using for a couple years now, and I don't like updating things that aren't broken.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Great results! What would it cost to duplicate that engine?
                                I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Working...
                                X