Track Day Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gregslow318i View Post
    just out of curiosity why did you go with a m20 why not a m5x baced motor?
    because no M50 could ever sound like that. :evil:
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

just out of curiosity why did you go with a m20 why not a m5x based motor?
      Because hopefully when he goes for the m5x swap he will sell me that engine. Drool, drool.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

just out of curiosity why did you go with a m20 why not a m5x baced motor?
        First of all I was not planning on using a bmw engine at all, as an LS1 would have been the first box checked in a perfect world...and in the future this maybe in the plan.
        My next idea was to build a 2.1 stroked M42 using a diesel crank from England and on and on...but the cost would have been quite a bit more than the current engine, 2 cams etc and it would have been very simular to the 4G63 evo builds we do all the time.....(so too much like work!!!)
        As I understood it at the time of planning M30s were just too heavy, also my research led me to believe thet the M50/S50 was also quite a bit heavier than a M20 baby six...and maybe not as suitable for the e30 chassis
        the M20, although an old design, has a very well designed cylinder head that offers very good high and linear torque that can be usually had from a 2 valve head...the only thing missing to get sufficient cylinder pressures to make good power was compression....so I fixed that with 11:1 pistons.
        Now I feel with proper tuning using MS and a 7000 rpm red line I feel I can easily achieve around 230bhp on higher octane fuel...I feel that power level is more than enough to move a 2500lb car quite swiftly through most of the events and classes I would like to compete in.
        The biggest gripe I have with this driveline choice is not the engine but the lack of choices in transmissions and gear ratios for the Getrag.
        I am sure people will disagree with my choices and have different opinions than me on my commentary....but I have built the car now and I am very pleased so far with the results...Flame suit on !!!!
        Last edited by Dyno4mance; 04-14-2009, 06:55 PM.

2.7L M20 11:1 COMP 195 whp Dyno Dynamics 2380lbs

Comment

Damn he answered that like a God.

Any more questions?
          clutchCTRL!
          Move with a purpose.
          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
          - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
          - 2000 323i AT
          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

The more he talks the more you will realize he knows exactly what he is talking about.... And a super nice guy on top of that... Makes a very cool car guy.

That is all.....
            sigpic

Comment

A few more pics to bump thread and show recent progress

Videos of tuning and dyno sessions to come.......

Comment

awesome
                1969 2002

Comment

Nice car. Glad to see another M20 engine supporter.

Hopefully you will be on track soon and post some videos. I know the M20 is no M-motor but it can still move a stripped out E30 along at a decent pace. Who knows you may even pass a few of the M50 transplant E30s on the track.

Good luck.

Comment

"Who knows you may even pass a few of the M50 transplant E30s on the track."

May?......I would say at this point it is an absolute certainty!!;););):nice:

Comment

Originally posted by tn325i View Post
                      the more he talks the more you will realize he knows exactly what he is talking about.... And a super nice guy on top of that... Makes a very cool car guy.

That is all.....
                      +1

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

Are you still going to stick with the 4.10?
                        Supatek -noun - your basic know it all

Comment

sweetttttt!!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            Are you still going to stick with the 4.10?
                            Yes, for the time being....But having said that I have not driven the car but 400yrds:D......Things may change..
                            It has good rocker arms and light MM springs so reving it will be less of an issue than most....Probably set red line @ 7000rpm

Comment

like the number panel
                              Current Cars
                              2014 M235i
                              2009 R56 Cooper S
                              1998 M3
                              1997 M3

Comment

Hell yes. Awaiting video.

Comment

Working...