No announcement yet.

Death to the sub-forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They may be better for searching, but is it worth there being less content to search for?

Comment

Originally posted by permit
      However annoying they are at times, they're rather helpful when you're actually looking for shit. I usually click the "new posts" button, so I don't have to deal with the subforums, but they're key when I'm looking for specific info.
      Same here. 95% of the time I'm just clicking "New Posts", and since I actually know how to search I can find whatever I want easily. But if it really bothers other people I doubt that I would miss most of the subforums. Please just keep For Sale and Wish To Buy separate though.

Comment

Originally posted by 92 mtechnic cabrio
        this is supposed to be a forum about german cars.

let's get some german EFFICIENCY in here.

I vote for LESS sub-forums, not the elimination of.
        I'm with mtechnic cabrio^

Comment

they are a necessary evil. This forum is based on a core of tech information related to e30s. In order for people to get the most out of the knowledge base, its necessary to have specific subforums. With just a few general tech forums and no subs, the forums move too fast to be of use. Slowing down the tech traffic is a good thing.

If the board is too cumbersome, eliminate the truly useless crap like Off topic and "2000+"
          Last edited by Rob; 02-08-2006, 05:43 PM.
          BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
            they are a necessary evil. This forum is based on a core of tech information related to e30s. In order for people to get the most out of the knowledge base, its necessary to have specific subforums. With just a few general tech forums and no subs, the forums move to fast to be of use. Slowing down the tech traffic is a good thing.

If the board is too cumbersome, eliminate the truly useless crap like Off topic and "2000+"
            Gah! That kind of talk got Jimmy Boy Warren banned over on that other forum . . . ;)
            Current Cars
            2014 M235i
            2009 R56 Cooper S
            1998 M3
            1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
              they are a necessary evil. This forum is based on a core of tech information related to e30s. In order for people to get the most out of the knowledge base, its necessary to have specific subforums. With just a few general tech forums and no subs, the forums move to fast to be of use. Slowing down the tech traffic is a good thing.

well put;)
              sigpic
              Wastedincome420@yahoo.com

CURRENT STOCK LIST:
              00' e38 750iL HighLine=Highway Queen
              92' e30 318 vert=Aint going anywhere
              91' e34 535iM=Aint going anywhere
              91' e34 525iA=For parts
              92' e34 535iA=For parts

Comment

The sub forums are a total pain and I dont even look in the technical forums anymore unless Im posting a question. While I can see that they can be helpful, you dont need a seperate sub forums for each class of motor swap, a single motor swap forum would be sufficient.
                Back to my roots

Comment

I think some of them can go but like Rob said, even though they are annoying, they can be useful. Although topics might stay at the top of their respected forums longer, I think they get less traffic so it is sort of a catch 22.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I'm for consolidation instead of outright elimination of the subforums. I think it is helpful to have the vast quantities of info on this site sorted into some kind of catagory format....it will make tracking down specific info. easier. Let me pontificate on a couple of examples....

The engine page. This could be boiled down into two catagories:

1) stock/modded drivetrain section where the focus can be on repairs/upgrades to motors originally equipped in one's car. Everything can be discussed here: cams, chips, diffs, 'e' to 'i' conversion, exhaust, gearbox, head work, (i.e. porting), etc. could be posted on this page.

2) engine swap section for anything relating to dropping a stock/modded M50, S50, S38, M60, etc. into an E30. Have all related topics such as harness, gearbox, mounts, cooling, driveshafts, diffs, etc. discussed here.

The other example I have in mind would involve the topics of suspension, brakes, wheels & tires. Have all this under one page and title it "Underpinings" (or something to that effect). Anything regarding pads, rotors, SS lines, springs, shocks, sway bars, CABs, camber plates, tires, wheels, spacers, and wheels stud conversion can all be put under this page.

I know some may poo poo my idea since you can't please everyone. Its just my $.02 so take it for what its worth.

Jon
                    Last edited by Jon325i; 02-10-2006, 06:25 PM.
                    Rides...
                    1991 325i - sold :(
                    2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

I think that they need to be reduced, but NOT totally eliminated because it will be very unorganized like Eurospeed said. I like it how it is... and you don't have to click 10 times... just go where you need to go and you can find all the answers there! This is why this forum is so helpfull, because it is very easy to find whatever it is youre looking for!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X