X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That Sucks Mike

Comment

Oh nevermind then :(
      May the tc gods come down and bless your unlucky soul.

Originally posted by yert315
      Your mother is plug n play

Comment

yeah, i was excited to finish and drive this car. instead i'm just pulling my hair out.
        1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
        1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
        1974 2002tii / stock
        2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Isn't the transfer case the Achille's heel of the iX?
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Took the 86' 325e to get it smogged and it failed :curse: . Everything was good but the Nox was really high.

15mph Max: 886 Measure: 1661
            25mph Max: 705 Measure: 1143

Any suggestions on what to replace or just any help? My first time failing a smog. I'm more leaning on the o2 sensor as it never has been replaced before and the cat should still be good, it's about 3 years old.

Comment

You doubled up on the NOx homie. Looks like a bad cat to me. Aftermarket? time for a new one. They don't last that long especially if running rich. What are your HC's? If they are high...definitely the cat. If they are really low, you are running too lean.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

don't start throwing money at it

things that can be done free:
                first thing is to test the o2 with a multimeter
                second thing is to test the cat at a shop. they'll do a before and after the cat and tell you if it's working

high NOx points to high combustion chamber temps
                valve adjustment
                leaning out
                coolant issue

from easiest to difficult (more costly) to address, imo

we need the fail sheet to see the other numbers, can't just diagnose based from the NOx. what was the HC?
                Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                  Isn't the transfer case the Achille's heel of the iX?
                  yep. one bad tow or prolonged use with uneven tires and it's toast. otherwise, should last the life of the car.
                  1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                  1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                  1974 2002tii / stock
                  2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Yeah, I remember reading a lot about that in the Roundel back in the day.

Comment

Here you go, took a picture of the results, thanks for the quick replies!

Comment

Originally posted by smooth View Post
                        shame man, I had similar issues sourcing my euro bumpers. only some of those guys over in UK didn't even bother sending me junk...just nothing at all :|

turned me off from working on my cabrio for a few years, didn't even participate on the boards for that long either. hope it doesn't affect your love of participating in the community because it made me sketch every time I pay someone for a really long time...only recently recovered. that's actually why I started selling a lot of my personal stuff that was intended for projects. just want to go back to driving for a bit and get out of the shady side of this hobby.
                        I know what you mean. People are goiing to be pissed when they realise I spent all their coilover money on crack. Oh well.
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                        My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by aje28 View Post
                          Here you go, took a picture of the results, thanks for the quick replies!

see how it measures up to this

did you do your oil change? spark plugs/gaps? valves?

valve adjustment: as they wear they get tighter. tighter valves mean they don't seat correctly. when they don't seat correctly they don't get rid of the heat through the exhaust valve adequately. higher temps > higher NOx

that's just one thing
                          many more tune-up things that need to be done to help emissions

most people buy a cat and it cleans up the crap enough to pass but doesn't get to the bottom of the problem. then they buy a new cat every other year instead of figuring out what the underlying issues are

Comment

Originally posted by smooth View Post
                            see how it measures up to this

did you do your oil change? spark plugs/gaps? valves?

valve adjustment: as they wear they get tighter. tighter valves mean they don't seat correctly. when they don't seat correctly they don't get rid of the heat through the exhaust valve adequately. higher temps > higher NOx

that's just one thing
                            many more tune-up things that need to be done to help emissions

most people buy a cat and it cleans up the crap enough to pass but doesn't get to the bottom of the problem. then they buy a new cat every other year instead of figuring out what the underlying issues are
                            It's actually due for a oil change which i will be doing soon, spark plugs should still be good but i will check for correct gap. Valve adjustment not sure when the last time it was adjusted.

Comment

pull the plugs, clean them up.
                              clean your cap and rotor
                              change the oil
                              check for vacuum leaks
                              make sure your air filter is clean
                              check your coolant...make sure they running those big fans straight into your engine when you're testing some techs forget to do that

there's lots more you can do before you start throwing money at your car
                              do you have a bentley? if you don't, get one or ask a buddy to borrow one...then get your own.

Comment

anyone know the reason for high hc?

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
                                my feedback thread

Comment

Working...
                                X