Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guys who track their cars have issues with Brembos cracking very quickly. Obviously Omar isnt tracking his car, but that sounds like a QC issue to me and I would avoid them altogether
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

SoCal General Chat

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      The guys who track their cars have issues with Brembos cracking very quickly. Obviously Omar isnt tracking his car, but that sounds like a QC issue to me and I would avoid them altogether

Just did some research and people seem to be having this problem with the drilled and blank rotors. Read an account where the owner was running blanks under moderate driving and noticing cracks after 500 miles, owner also claimed he did a proper break in too.

I do a fair amount of driving on mountain roads and spirited driving in the canyons, so I will be abusing my brakes to a certain degree.

Definitely staying away from brembos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

if you're using them actively, rotors are a wear item and it's normal for them to crack.
        cars beep boop

Comment

The rest of us use brakes passively, only when necessary

Currently building a badass coffee table
          Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

well, yeah

if they don't make pinging noises after you're done, you're not using them "actively"
            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              I run mine on the street hard once in a while, Need to check those puppies for cracks.

Comment

If they're not smoking you're not driving hard enough ;)
                '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                Shadetree30

Comment

You guys remember dtm.net or something like that? That was a long time ago.

Comment

If there is a better section for this, please give me a hint!

Looking for someone who could transport an E30 from Van Nuys, CA 91405 to Beaumont CA 92223. Steering is fine, so that won`t be a hassle. Not a one time thing, if all goes smooth, would need transportation services in CA on a monthly basis.

PM me with offers or info.

Thanks.
                    85 coupe 318i(M30 swapped) winter fun machine
                    88 sedan 318i Sold :(
                    88 touring 324td M62B46 swap in progress
                    89 touring 325ix Parted :(
                    91 cabrio 320i Sold :(
                    92 touring 525tds Parted :(

Comment

Originally posted by tricars View Post
                      If there is a better section for this, please give me a hint!

Looking for someone who could transport an E30 from Van Nuys, CA 91405 to Beaumont CA 92223. Steering is fine, so that won`t be a hassle. Not a one time thing, if all goes smooth, would need transportation services in CA on a monthly basis.

PM me with offers or info.

Thanks.
                      Thats quite a little drive. What the hell is out in Beaumont?
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

I think he also wants it towed on a trailer. How will you get back from Beaumont. Uber? Expensive ride home and probably not worth it if your just going to break even

Comment

Does anyone have an extra M42 alternator and/or the alternator mounting bracket (PN:12311717589) that I can borrow for a few days?

I'm trying to diagnose a sqealing noise on the alternator belt, and it's been a real PITA. I've tried varying the tension on the belt, but nothing changed. I've swapped out the belt, adjuster bracket, and bushings on the mounting bracket with no luck. No matter what I do, it seems like the alternator and its pulley is off an angle and misaligned from the crankshaft and the water pump pulley.

The alternator I currently have is a rebuilt version from o'reilly that was put in by the previous owner. I'm wondering if the alternator itself was messed up from the beginning, or the mounting bracket was warped in some way or another.

If anyone could help me out or enlighten me with information, I'd appreciate it! I just want to get my first E30 on the road :(.

Comment

Originally posted by youngmineeh View Post
                            Does anyone have an extra M42 alternator and/or the alternator mounting bracket (PN:12311717589) that I can borrow for a few days?

I'm trying to diagnose a sqealing noise on the alternator belt, and it's been a real PITA. I've tried varying the tension on the belt, but nothing changed. I've swapped out the belt, adjuster bracket, and bushings on the mounting bracket with no luck. No matter what I do, it seems like the alternator and its pulley is off an angle and misaligned from the crankshaft and the water pump pulley.

The alternator I currently have is a rebuilt version from o'reilly that was put in by the previous owner. I'm wondering if the alternator itself was messed up from the beginning, or the mounting bracket was warped in some way or another.

If anyone could help me out or enlighten me with information, I'd appreciate it! I just want to get my first E30 on the road :(.
                            Does the alternator and water pump spin easily by hand?

It could be a bent bracket, like you said.
                            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                              Does the alternator and water pump spin easily by hand?

It could be a bent bracket, like you said.
                              Yes, it spins easily with a good amount of weight on the spin.

I'm hoping it's the bracket as well.

Comment

Anyone have a connection with a powdercoater? Im thinking about getting my OBD1 valvecover done, but not sure what color to go with. I feel like red is the typical way to go, and lately Ive been accenting stuff with Kawasaki Green, but feel like that would be too much under the hood. A blue maybe? I remember my friend had a purple one and it looked awesome, but I cant copy him
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X