Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's how it goes Kevan, you'll be a happy camper once it's back on it's wheels.

It's rewarding when you get more power from your old POS.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Chilezen it could be worse... https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...h-dyno-numbers
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Oh absolutely, I've read your thread at least 3-4 times. After all, most of what I've done is modeled after yours. And in the end, you got it to work, so that's what I'm focusing on.

Currently building a badass coffee table
        Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Kevan, we need some updates dude.

Comment

At the moment, I only have bad news, and no progress.
            The car's been sitting all this time. I haven't had a chance to bring it back in the shop.

In fact, my boss recently began enforcing a "no personal projects" rule, due to the new insurance he has for the shop. I can't even stay late like I used to, when I needed to finish actual work. It's such a dick move to enact this policy knowing I am in the middle of this fuu ken project.
            So yeah, my car is sitting, with the engine just balancing on the two mounts. I'm afraid to even tow it without first getting the trans back in.
            All because "the new insurance says so" and "he can't do anything about it."

So if there are any race shops around that are hiring a killer fabricator, let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
              At the moment, I only have bad news, and no progress.
              The car's been sitting all this time. I haven't had a chance to bring it back in the shop.

In fact, my boss recently began enforcing a "no personal projects" rule, due to the new insurance he has for the shop. I can't even stay late like I used to, when I needed to finish actual work. It's such a dick move to enact this policy knowing I am in the middle of this fuu ken project.
              So yeah, my car is sitting, with the engine just balancing on the two mounts. I'm afraid to even tow it without first getting the trans back in.
              All because "the new insurance says so" and "he can't do anything about it."

So if there are any race shops around that are hiring a killer fabricator, let me know!
              What a bitch move on his part, if you need to move the car, you'll be just fine with the mounts and strapped down on the chassis while towing. I would suggest you attach the transmission to the engine while out of the bay, because you will hate yourself when trying to reach those top bolts. Hopefully you're allowed to finish your swap while still working there dude. I should be free in the next few weekends, so let me know if I can lend a pair of hands and a little muscle to help you get finished.

Comment

The joys of a swap ... hang in there bud you’ll get there. Super dick move from the shop owner, if you can’t stay late at night can you at least go in on a weekend just to get it to a point that you can move it elsewhere?
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Alright, my supervisor came in with me early in the morning and we put the trans in. Took 2 hours. I bought long (100mm) bolts for the subframe, so we could lower the engine but still keep it "in place". It worked; with the car on the lift on the lowest lock, and an engine hoist holding the engine tilted up, there was enough room to reach and torque all the bolts. I remembered to fill the trans before installing it this time, lol. I left the steering linkage installed, because I didn't want to fuck with lining it up again. The engine might have gone lower if I disconnected that, but this worked, so, yay.

At the moment, I don't know if the thing is lined up like it should be. I'll see later.
                  So with that hurdle out of the way, I feel more comfortable towing it home and finishing as much as I can on jackstands. I think I can get away with calling AAA claiming my car doesn't start and needs a flatbed. *shrugs*
                  The next biggest hurdle will be building the exhaust. I planned to cut and TIG a stainless setup from scratch, but because of how long that will take, I can't fathom only working on it for 2 hours every morning; that timeframe includes pushing it into and out of the shop every morning. No, I cannot work on it on the weekends, not without one of my bosses there. Only early morning is an option.
                  More manageable tasks that I could use help with at home are bleeding the brakes & clutch. Then all that's left is installing the driveshaft, wiring, the freakin' external FPR and the charcoal canister, cooling system, adding a fan, and whatever else. Thanks for the offer Ed, I'll let you know as things develop.
                  Once I figure out the exhaust, I think it'll be smooth sailing.

Comment

Hey guys, new E30 ‘91 318is slick top owner in San Diego here, just failed SMOG trying to register, high HC’s in the 25MPH test.

Is there a good E30/older BMW/euro shop who you guys can recommend around Miramar area to help me figure put the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Curt2000 View Post
                      Hey guys, new E30 ‘91 318is slick top owner in San Diego here, just failed SMOG trying to register, high HC’s in the 25MPH test.

Is there a good E30/older BMW/euro shop who you guys can recommend around Miramar area to help me figure put the issue?
                      Carl at La Jolla Independent can help, they like the 4 banger. Not affiliated, I do buy parts from them.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by bradmer View Post

Carl at La Jolla Independent can help, they like the 4 banger. Not affiliated, I do buy parts from them.

Good luck
                        Thanks! I’ll give them a call Monday

Comment

Where's all you foos at?

Comment

35 THOUSAND DOLLARS for a body kit, bags, and right hand drive conversion.

Comment

probably time to sell my trashy e30 for lots of monies

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
                                https://www.reddit.com/r/E30/comment...igio_medio_is/

35 THOUSAND DOLLARS for a body kit, bags, and right hand drive conversion.
                                BTW, that's the first POS that CaTuned tried to pass off as their *signature rocket bunny car build*. I remember seeing the Castro's deal with that car after the vintage show. That thing is a freaking cheap pig with lipstick on.

Comment

Working...
                                X