This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,
    Recently moved to the so cal area and I wanted to know if you can recommend any repair shops. My transmission needs to be looked at, and I don't know of any reputable shops in the LA and Orange County area.
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Comment

Is this for an automatic or 5 speed trans? Also depends on what part of the city you are in, LA & OC are pretty big and going to a reputable shop near you would probably benefit you.
      @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by norcal318is View Post
        Hi All,
        Recently moved to the so cal area and I wanted to know if you can recommend any repair shops. My transmission needs to be looked at, and I don't know of any reputable shops in the LA and Orange County area.
        LA and Orange County areas is a LARGE cross-section.
        LA - JMP in Canoga Park
        Orange County - Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa

Those are my recommendations. Many people have had good experience with Castros in LA, but I dont have any personal experience. Im sure there are others that I cant think of right now
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Hi All,
          norcal318is -

If you're in OC or South LA County - Hans Imports on Talbert Ave in Huntington Beach.

They've been working on my `85 325e since new & had rebuilt my 5spd tranny on the 325e 15-20+/- years ago & 100K+/- miles since with no problems.

I've been a Hans customer since 1975.

Good Luck!
          Tom
          ///////
          Cheers!
          Tom
          Orange, CA, SoCal
          1985 325e 2dr Coupe, Orig. Owner
          - plus -
          1973 Porsche 914-2.0 "914S", 2nd Owner since Dec. 1975
          1985 VW Vanagon CamperGL Westfalia, Orig. Owner
          1960 Avion T20 Travel Trailer (sim. to Airstream), Restored, Owner #3-4+?
          1970 Eriba Puck Travel Trailer, 90% Original, Owner #5?
          ///////

Comment

Hi All,
            If you're around the south bay 110/91 interchange, there SBI, south bay independent. Super knowledgeable dudes, might be a little short with you if you aren't patient since they are always swamped with work, but they fix stuff right the first tiem and your set for life. Long time customer since the late 90s.
            Flickr

Comment

Hi All,
              Recently moved to the so cal area .....
              So Cal is massive. Exactly what city are you in?

It's nice to have a nearby mechanic. Mine is my old pals at South Bay Independent in Gardena. 5 Stars !

Randy Walters

2021 Mazda 3 Sedan Premium AWD
              1988 325is (w/89 bumpers, recently sold)
              1989 325is (Broadsided long ago RIP)
              1996 328is (Sold to Matt J)
              2003 530i Sport (Spare car now)
              2005 X3 (little woman's car)
              Driving Instructor BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
              Multiple L.A. & S.D. Region SCCA Autocross Championships

Comment

Good Morning Happy people of Socal Gen Chat.

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
                  Good Morning Happy people of Socal Gen Chat.
                  Sup
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Hi Simon, it was cool seeing you last Friday at the meet

Comment

Hi all, I just joined this group and looking to get acquainted with some local E30 drivers. I've got an '85 325e which doesn't start. Rats chewed through the wiring harness (which is a pain in the ass to match up the wires and solder them) so I'm working on getting that repaired. There are a few sensors which I'm not sure where they go and what they do. If I could meet up with someone who has a 325e from 1985-1986 and check out your car, that would be great. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by aryahmmr View Post
                        Hi all, I just joined this group and looking to get acquainted with some local E30 drivers. I've got an '85 325e which doesn't start. Rats chewed through the wiring harness (which is a pain in the ass to match up the wires and solder them) so I'm working on getting that repaired. There are a few sensors which I'm not sure where they go and what they do. If I could meet up with someone who has a 325e from 1985-1986 and check out your car, that would be great. Thanks!
                        I'm down in San Diego but can send pics of my engine bay if you'd like. Production date is 9/85 so it'll have some differences than yours but you may still find them useful.

Bid for the chance to own a 1985 BMW 325e at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #27,188.

This BAT listing also has some good engine bay shots which I found useful when putting mine back together. Best of luck!

Comment

Where to get a rebuild rack here in SoCal? Should I roll the dice with rack doctor and themixed reviews I read everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by prisonerofdoom83 View Post
                            Where to get a rebuild rack here in SoCal? Should I roll the dice with rack doctor and themixed reviews I read everywhere
                            No issues here. I bought a brand new one and no problems at all.

Comment

My rack from them has been fine. Lost track of time, but it's at least 5 years old.. maybe 7? Only issue was when I went to get an alignment, the guy told me I was missing the clamps/locks that secure the jamnut from spinning away from the tie rod. I haven't had a problem with it but I feel like it should have been included if it were that important.

Currently building a badass coffee table
                              Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

i bought a purple tag e46 rack from them in 2018 and had no complaints. i've heard/read about post covid operations not being as efficient or quick but that was not my experience.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X