This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, in light of the new exhaust law, who's going back to stock???? lol

No more fix it tickets.. they're going to slap you with a 1k fine right off the bat..
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      So, in light of the new exhaust law, who's going back to stock???? lol

No more fix it tickets.. they're going to slap you with a 1k fine right off the bat..
      What is this new law? I cant imagine that my Borla Muffler is an issue
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        What is this new law? I cant imagine that my Borla Muffler is an issue
        I personally think you're car isn't that loud, but the scary thing is you're at the mercy of a cops discretion.

fart can article
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

My Datsun is loud, but I aint scurred... E30 is basically stock sounding too
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

If it's stock and loud, it's okay, if I understand this law correctly.

I went back to stock before they passed this shit. I'm safe lol. 1k is a lot of money for a stupid ass fine like this.

Comment

Well damn thats not cool. Though fairly simple to check if your car passes the 85 db limit? Is there a clearer test procesure? Distance, angle, rpm?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
              Shadetree30

Comment

The exhaust ticket is like $300~
                People are saying $1k because a ref ticket is around $750 coupled with the exhaust ticket sums to $1k.

The exhaust ticket is now non-correctable, so it's just a payable citation now that you'll keep receiving if you keep getting pulled over till you change it.
                You used to be able to correct it and get it checked out with the CHP for a $25 sign-off like plates, tints, taillights.

The officer has to be a mega douche to ref you with your citation unless he really suspects you're car isn't road legal for whatever reason.
                I don't really have an issue with this because this has always been the case (except for the new non-correctable violation), but my main concern is that they specifically now have task forces out there looking for these types of vehicles..

So it almost seems like the days of being nice and talking your way out of 'car mod' tickets are now over if you get pulled over by one of these guys.
                I've personally had my hood asked to be open twice (m20 turbo) and because I was polite, understanding, and cooperative, they let me go after a nice chat.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

you're 100% on that shit.
                  cops are looking for cars with mufflers now.
                  ppl with swaps are fucked how are we supposed to find m20s.
                  if it gets ultra nazi around here i'd rather just sell the e30 and get a e46 m3 or a 335

Comment

Well if they didn't stop you before, I doubt they would stop you now. After seeing a video of someone getting pulled over, this law is just another tool they will be using against the "take over", "street racer", "sideshow" car scene in an attempt to deter large meets that often precede take overs, drifting and racing. The cop in the video stated this and that they'll be looking for these type of cars. Probably the ones that are obnoxiously loud. They did the same thing with gangs back in the late 80's, early 90's. If you dressed a certain way or you were with more than 3 people under 17, curfews, etc. all these BS local ordinances to try and solve a problem and right now they don't know how to solve the problem of take overs and street racing so they are coming down harder. This law would allow them to easily break up large meets.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Sure, that could be the spirit of the law
                      but they will still pull your e30 with exhaust over to fill their 10 car a day new muffler law quota. people don't know or care why they need to enforce the law just that they need to do it. i saw a 05 stock pile of garbage camery today with a bazooka muffler where a cop wouldn't do anything now he has another tool to get him off the road for good. Could be anyone. me. you.

Comment

Put a new throttle cable in today.
                        Man, what a huge difference in feel. Take off, partial throttle, the whole pedal range.. I wish I replaced it years ago.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Here's the problem I see, even if your car exhaust system is completely stock but, has lowered suspension on, you're still a target for the police.
                          There's no guidelines for noise pollution (the law reads that they can not pull you over simply for modified exhaust. So how else will they find out if you do have modified exhaust?), we're all assuming that they will be going based off decibels and fart can mufflers and straight pipe douche bags, but that's not what the law says.
                          It isn't clear to me yet and I'm not gonna risk giving the man $1000 of my hard earned money for free.
                          My car will remain in it's parking space, till this whole bullshit blows over.

Sucks, but I'll be looking to bar my whole swap for sure now.
                          @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                            Well the arm is going to rotate inside the bushing anyway and you are supposed to use soapy water or some type of lube. Just get it as close as possible.
                            you should not use non-evaporating lube, and the arm is not supposed to rotate inside the bushing - it's supposed to be glued to and deflect the bushing's inner rubber.

CABs are meant to be installed with a BMW gluebricant that is NLA; Windex is one of the commonly recommended modern replacements. The install procedure is similar to TABs - pop them on and before the lubricant dries/evaporates, put the car on the ground. The rubber should be minimally deflected with the car's suspension loaded.
                            cars beep boop

Comment

also hey folks, I may be in town for work in the next few weeks. Thinking to drive down in a big ol van, so I'll have some room for stuff. anyone need transport?

or, anyone looking for a really rad z3m coupe? Mine is on the chopping block, can trailer it down.
                              cars beep boop

Comment

I just saw a pic of a guys ticket on FB he got for his stock Q50 AND he got reffed LMAO

Comment

Working...
                                X