This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
    if you want a real torsen- go buy a QUAIFE.

Bmw oem torsen is not a real sports torsen sorry.
    awaiting your explanation of the difference.
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
      while we are on the topic. has anyone used http://www.bimmerdiffs.com/collectio...-kit-40-lockup
      ?
      Yep, although I went strait from open to rebuilt with that, so I can't comment on that vs stock.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
        what a surprise that dude has suddenly disappeared.

let me guess. his shop sells clutch-type rebuilds, and quaife diffs, but he can't satisfactorily explain why they're better than OEM parts you can get for 1/5th the price.

hmm.
        past:
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:

Comment

you can't put e30m3 hubs in 318ti trailing arms, or early (pre 85) e30 trailing arms because the bearing size is different. Any other e30 arms will work.
          cars beep boop

Comment

for the 3rd time.

i'm talking about the best solution for a STREET CAR.

that's the context for 99% of the readers of this forum.

if you want to wag your e-peen around about what's best for track use, you should probably go to e30tech. ;)
            ...... street cars silly man.

U like torsen because cheap.

End of story. If had money would have ordered a built clutch unit for street; or purchased a better car that didn't require modification.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Some people have work to do?

If you want a
              quaife diff email birds UK; they are the sole distribution of bmw quaife.

The bias ratio is much more sporting in a quaife gear type unit.

The zexel torsen oem bmw units have very mild torque biasing; if you like them you will <3 quaife.

Price is not everything; you wouldn't buy a zexel torsen new either- its out of your budget

what a surprise that dude has suddenly disappeared.

let me guess. his shop sells clutch-type rebuilds, and quaife diffs, but he can't satisfactorily explain why they're better than OEM parts you can get for 1/5th the price.

hmm.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by suruba View Post
                The corkscrew is exactly why I'm building the car...I live in Monterey and want to take advantage of the many HPDE's that clubs have here (i drive out there when I know they're there, most are really cool clubs)

*Edit* this ca's goal is strictly track-able as in able on the track, while still being street civil.

I was stoked on the torsen, now not so much, i wondered why I'd paid over 2k for a diff in that car, it's been almost a decade.

Quaife was the original thought process for me, find a free med case and pay the coin to put the right diff in it the first time, with the ring and pinion I want. but that's expensive. I spent almost a house worth of money on that cobra and I don't want to be repeating myself. I guess I'm still going to go torsen because it's cheaper and a better option for used, but it's not the diff I thought it was going to be

Dave

If laguna seca sub 1:50 is your target keep the z3m diff you have. Kill it and call bmw for the rebuild parts for stock.

Gear type units dont like the elevation change of the corkscrew.

This car had a gear type rear lsd (r180 sure track); I had to engage the center diff before going into this corner as the unloading made the rear unstable.

With a clutch type unit I would have been able to put the power down sooner.

This is in an awd sti ra; fully tuned.

Turn in 7A (1:48 laguna on street tires in 2006). Notice rear has no weight; corkscrew is self explanatory

At this in 7B point the body is compressing and the weight back to the tires after 7a. Torsen gear type diff has less stability and is not constant; when you hit the throttle the torsen does its job and shifts torque in its preset bias equation; this active bias transfer of torque is inherently unstable and not ideal for the corkscrew or similar hairpin type corners (especially uphill hairpins on tarmac rally the gear type diffs really suffer).

you have to stay off the throttle compared to a clutch unit.

Last edited by Wanganstyle; 01-23-2014, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Yo H. You were talking about preload a few weeks ago. Why do factory diffs come with preload? Surely it can't be any faster, nor more fun to run a preloaded diff. I hate the amount of preload my MM diff has.

Comment

i need to swap my rear hubs from the Z3 units that are in there now to 318ti because rubbing. when i do i'll bring it to an AutoX and you can have at it.
                    Heeeeeells yeah buddy! I can reciprocate with whatever car is in autox shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                      Yo H. You were talking about preload a few weeks ago. Why do factory diffs come with preload? Surely it can't be any faster, nor more fun to run a preloaded diff. I hate the amount of preload my MM diff has.
                      Factory diffs come with preload for 1 size fits all with 2 clutch discs. Same unit in 2600 lbs e30 as 3700lbs 735i. The Belleville springs also adjust for wear to prolong the service interval.

I hate preload also; I delete it because I dislike it; alfa romero and ferrari settings are oem unloaded

If you break your unit down its not terribly difficult to reset it with 0 preload. Just toss the bellevilles and rejuggle the stack

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                        ...... street cars silly man.

U like torsen because cheap.

End of story. If had money would have ordered a built clutch unit for street; or purchased a better car that didn't require modification.

Yeah, these dbilas ITBs I'm running, and this 5-lug swap, and all the weight reduction I've done, they were all cheap too. I've got $25k invested in my e30, and I built this car rather than just buying an e46m3 because that's what I wanted to do.

Referring me to Quaife's site just confirms the fact that you yourself can not explain the difference.

You're a fucking idiot.
                        Last edited by decay; 01-23-2014, 12:09 PM.
                        past:
                        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                        1985 323i baur
                        current:

Comment

chill, winstons, they're just diffs
                          cars beep boop

Comment

Yeah, these dbilas ITBs I'm running, and this 5-lug swap, and all the weight reduction I've done, they were all cheap too. I've got $25k invested in my e30
                            why do all this work to an m42?

you could have had an M3 for that price
                            Much wow
                            I hate 4 doors

Comment

because I have engineer hubris. For that price, I built a better car than I would have gotten buying a stock M3.
                              past:
                              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                              1985 323i baur
                              current:

Comment

Bc super awesome and very good at financial management.

Bragging about a silly waste doesnt make anyone envious. ..........

Quaife products have sole distribution by birds uk; why is it my job to explain their product?

Somone who wants a 25k delivery mobile could just buy a new ford transit connect. They are great for portage and come with warranty

Comment

Working...
                                X