This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
    doors are too small. the b pillar is in the way when you merge left and they look ugly.
    After 5 years of E30 sedan ownership my sister got an E30 coupe. The B-pillar on that car honestly bugged the shit out of me, it was right in the way.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

Also, people like Spencer and Nate and all my other friends need to stop using FB as a politics platform, no one cares.
      fite me irl bro

Comment

:popcorn:
        C6Z
        S2K
        VeloN

Comment

Feel(in) the Bern ?
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
            fite me irl bro
            You and Spencer are the only ones that post political crap that i haven't unfollowed bc you also post good stuff.
            Much wow
            I hate 4 doors

Comment

friend of mine just bought a 135i... god damn those things have gotten cheap. now i want one too :(

which one of you fuckers gave me car ADD
              past:
              1989 325is (learner shitbox)
              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
              1985 323i baur
              current:
              1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

Quick question for you suspension techies out there...

I'm looking to swap out the rear coil springs on my e30 (10k (560lb), 65mm ID, 5" tall swift springs) to a more aggressive 12k spring. I'm looking for a replacement in the same (or close) diameter, and height with the 12k (671lb) spring rate. As I'm searching, I've found many different options to have fit the bill, but am now wondering more about the difference between the manufacturers. One of them bing swift (the most expensive at $160ish before shipping), H&R and Tanabe being the middle ground in the $120-140 range, and BC coil springs (that normally come with BC coilovers) being the cheapest option at about $85 for the pair.

What is so dramatically different to cause these prices to fluctuate so much? Obviously manufacturing origin, materials, and process, but how will the performance be affected by springs that are virtually identical in terms of specifications and application? Will I notice a difference between the $160 swift's and the $85 BC's?

All about performance, but I'm not the type to blow double the price just for the top shop name on something that theoretically will be exactly the same, and I won't see much anyway...

Thanks in advance!
                Last edited by Toodaloo; 03-08-2016, 12:19 AM.

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                  friend of mine just bought a 135i... god damn those things have gotten cheap. now i want one too :(

which one of you fuckers gave me car ADD
                  So buy it. I've had my blue car 4 years now, I want to sell it and get something new. owning the same car, if it's your only car, sucks after a few years.
                  Much wow
                  I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Toodaloo View Post

I'm looking to swap out the rear coil springs on my e30 (10k (560lb), 65mm ID, 5" tall swift springs) to a more aggressive 12k spring. I'm looking for a replacement in the same (or close) diameter, and height with the 12k (671lb) spring rate. As I'm searching, I've found many different options to have fit the bill, but am now wondering more about the difference between the manufacturers. One of them bing swift (the most expensive at $160ish before shipping), H&R and Tanabe being the middle ground in the $120-140 range, and BC coil springs (that normally come with BC coilovers) being the cheapest option at about $85 for the pair.

What is so dramatically different to cause these prices to fluctuate so much? Obviously manufacturing origin, materials, and process, but how will the performance be affected by springs that are virtually identical in terms of specifications and application? Will I notice a difference between the $160 swift's and the $85 BC's?

All about performance, but I'm not the type to blow double the price just for the top shop name on something that theoretically will be exactly the same, and I won't see much anyway...

Thanks in advance!
                    I can't talk to the difference in spring quality as I have no experience. When I swapped out the springs in my BCs I got Eibach coilover springs from Ground Control. I can't remember if it's 2.25" or 2.5" now unfortunately: http://www.ground-control-store.com/...ory.php/CA=211

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                    Transaction feedback
                    - jpod999

Comment

Does anyone run around without the black foam firewall lining? I'm thinking about pulling mine out but wanted to find out how it effects NVH from people first.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by Toodaloo View Post

Thanks in advance!
                        Assuming they're made of the same caliber metal, and there's no proof either way, at a given spring rate a spring is a spring is a spring.

You'll have variations in spring mass as well as variations in how close to the rated spring rate they are throughout the range of travel, but any spring from the big names (swift, eibach, h&&r, hyperco, etc) is totally fine. If you're chasing tenths of pounds, then buy a bunch and weigh them. If you're travel limited, buy a bunch and use the one with the least number of coils. If you're not either of those, buy whichever is a reputable spring in the length/diameter/rate you want.

Note, the variations in mass and spring hysteresis are really not worth quibbling over, especially for cars that aren't competing at the very pointy end of a race series that pays the drivers and teams.
                        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                          Does anyone run around without the black foam firewall lining? I'm thinking about pulling mine out but wanted to find out how it effects NVH from people first.
                          it's only there for noise and that's about it. dont worry about removing it
                          Much wow
                          I hate 4 doors

Comment

it's only there for noise and that's about it. dont worry about removing it
                            That's what I figured, thanks!!

Now I have another question. While I'm doing my motor swap I want to put an E46 rack in the car. Where do people get theirs from? RackDoctor is a good option but they will only give me $30 back for my E30 rack core. I would like to try and get more if at all possible!
                            Last edited by jpod999; 03-08-2016, 12:46 PM.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                            Transaction feedback
                            - jpod999

Comment

but.. noise isn't good
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                                That's what I figured, thanks!!

Now I have another question. While I'm doing my motor swap I want to put an E46 rack in the car. Where do people get theirs from? RackDoctor is a good option but they will only give me $30 back for my E30 rack core. I would like to try and get more if at all possible!
                                I've used RackDoctor for multiple BMW rack swaps. I would not hesitate to use them again.

Comment

Working...
                                X