Dockweiler Beach Meet: Saturday January 20th 2018 2pm-close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
    Got there at 730pm, as the last couple of people were leaving.
    Spent $8 for parking and there was nobody there.
    theres fashionably late and then theres this ... :rofl:

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
    Only photo I took :/
    Im glad my bumper made it into the shot ;D

Originally posted by djmossm42 View Post
    I couldn't make it till 6:30 and most people had left and another group was about to leave. Now that it starts earlier, I think people prefer the daylight hours myself included. So the days of freezing our butts off till 10pm are probably done with.
    I was there for about two hours and the wind was pretty brutal, my car has a bunch of sand inside it too because I left a window open and it was really windy.

I also only took a few pics and that was on my way out. I realized that I hadnt taken any and stopped to snap a few of my car

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

It was cool but I think there needs to be a start time and an end time especially for a potluck. I would have made it 2pm - 5pm to get more people to come within that timeframe. Having people come and go at different hours is pointless. We make the meet but we have to be there at the same time.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I got there around 5:00 PM and the winds were kicking, the day was cold but it was worth it because I got to see some cool cars. I didnt get to mingle as much because everyone kinda already knew everybody else but had fun.
        Attached Files
        I am not sick, I am twisted. Sick makes it sound like there is a cure.

1991 318is Diamantschwarz Metallic
        1989 325i Alpine White

Comment

I was hoping to make it but it didn't work out. I went drifting that day and was planning to head there when I finished. I left Grange Motor Circuit at around 2 and one of my rear tires blew out on the freeway. Changed that and kept driving. I was getting extremely tired while driving because I got less sleep than I hoped the night before (packing my car and changing fluids + waking up early to get to the track). It was over an hour just to drive home so I decided to just go home and get some rest. I didn't want to try driving all the way to the beach and having something bad happen because I was tired. And I already had a tire blow out so I didn't know what else would break on me. Oh well I guess there's always next time. :)

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
            It was cool but I think there needs to be a start time and an end time especially for a potluck. I would have made it 2pm - 5pm to get more people to come within that timeframe. Having people come and go at different hours is pointless. We make the meet but we have to be there at the same time.
            Well, traditional isn't gonna work anymore. So changing it up a bit would be a great suggestion.
            Maybe next year it can be pushed to like 12pm to 4pm. Gives a good window of time & daylight. Another thing would be to change up to the last parking structures, as there tends to be less people wondering around open cars, that don't belong to the community.
            @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Great ideal ED.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

a few years back I didn't make it to a dockweiler meet cuz car was getting impounded. see my sig for reference.
                this year my trans is on its way out so I didn't risk it, I wish I had gone though.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post

a few years back I didn't make it to a dockweiler meet cuz car was getting impounded. see my sig for reference.
                  this year my trans is on its way out so I didn't risk it, I wish I had gone though.
                  Lol, always something with these ranflas Holmes.

Comment

You don't know what actually made this meet.

I get that too, but no one has any real heart about these events anymore. The organizers should have planned for that, arrived early to get a fire pit going........ I don't know. Looked like a good amount of people attended, so I guess it works.

Lol, where about in L.A. are you?
                    Marina Del Rey/Venice Beach!

Comment

Originally posted by burzaa View Post
                      Marina Del Rey/Venice Beach!
                      You should come it to the midtown crossings meet on Friday. Straight shot down Venice blvd to mid town, it's a chill meet, good amount of locals show up.
                      It's once a month, so no need to have a show car to attend.

Comment

Starting at 12 sounds like a good idea. And maybe go till whenever but have the potluck 1pm-3pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Wheelwell

Shadowline Motorsport: LED & 3D Printed Accessories - 10% off for new customers!
                        LED Bulb Thread
                        R6 LED Review

Comment

Just do 12 - whenever. I remember the 3 Years I went. Weather was perfect, sun was out, clear, warm. Just this year I have my newborn and this year the weather was really on the cold side. I also noticed the flyer comes out like 4-6 months prior to this event. This one was like a month or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I couldn't make it till 6:30 and most people had left and another group was about to leave. Now that it starts earlier, I think people prefer the daylight hours myself included. So the days of freezing our butts off till 10pm are probably done with.
                            Well it started at 2pm and if it goes until late then it goes late. I much prefer the daylight mainly because of pictures and it being warmer. If it were summertime, more people would have stayed and you could get away with coming late.
                            You don't know what actually made this meet.

I get that too, but no one has any real heart about these events anymore. The organizers should have planned for that, arrived early to get a fire pit going........ I don't know. Looked like a good amount of people attended, so I guess it works.
                            ...Most people these days don't know what made those meets. Those people and those memories are in the past; you'll have to work with what and who is current.

I get that things aren't the same. I vividly remember some of your stories, yours as well as stories from others about the great events from the past, when people were cool and cared about setting things up right. But the heart doesn't come from the organizers, it's the collective heart of the people who want to be there. I'm seeing these things and I'm taking note.

I'll address the time concerns below.

What "makes the meet", are the people who support it.

Lee and Kevan have done a great job keeping this meet going, keep it up guys!
                            Thanks, but I do recognize that our efforts to simply "get the word out" aren't enough, as seen by the lack of organization at the actual event. I make the flyers, but I'll give more thought to it next time, to actually get people together.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            I was there for about two hours and the wind was pretty brutal, my car has a bunch of sand inside it too because I left a window open and it was really windy.
                            Well according to Terry, at least you didn't have to cover your car with an EZ UP

Well, traditional isn't gonna work anymore. So changing it up a bit would be a great suggestion.
                            Maybe next year it can be pushed to like 12pm to 4pm. Gives a good window of time & daylight. Another thing would be to change up to the last parking structures, as there tends to be less people wondering around open cars, that don't belong to the community.
                            Starting at 12 sounds like a good idea. And maybe go till whenever but have the potluck 1pm-3pm
                            All great suggestions. This is people talking about their meet, excellent!
                            I propose hosting the meet from 2-6, with an emphasis on the potluck being at 2-4. The food time should satisfy the "lunchtime" craving, and not interfere with dinner plans, should you have any, or make any with people that night. Cap off the meet at 6 because some people have been there for six hours, and because there's a more cheerful vibe when sunlight hits your cheeks. I'll look for other meaningful ways to fill and entertain our time, as I've seen with other meets. I'll have to take your word, Ed, about the other parking lots (I haven't been down to the far side), but I'll set the location for there next time.

Originally posted by E30335i View Post
                            Just do 12 - whenever. I remember the 3 Years I went. Weather was perfect, sun was out, clear, warm. Just this year I have my newborn and this year the weather was really on the cold side. I also noticed the flyer comes out like 4-6 months prior to this event. This one was like a month or two.
                            The flyer will come out sooner, and with more incentive to come & stay :)

I really do need help with promotion, though. I don't know enough people well enough, I don't have that trust and comfort level that makes people smile when they see my name. That alone is powerful enough to incentivize people to come to an event; which is where I need more well-known faces to spread the word. That, plus the incentive to contribute to the meet(s), would be hugely beneficial to the overall experience. You all know this, without really being aware of it.

Lastly, I certainly don't take ownership of this meet, nor do I take co-ownership with Leo. This shit doesn't belong to us or anyone; we just put the word out. I'm really just some guy that made a flyer a few years ago, and kept doing it. I want this meet and others to continue happening, and if it needs a flyer to get the word out, I'll make it. Do I owe anyone anything, does anyone owe me shit for doing this? Hell no, but I care that people have a good time, and I'll do a little part in making that happen. Should I have been more involved in setting up a better meet? Perhaps.

That's all. Thank you all for your helpful words.

Currently building a badass coffee table
                            Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Dockweiler Beach Meet: Saturday January 20th 2018 2pm-close

I’ve only been in the scene for 3-4 years in n out and I see how everyone is “like it’s not the same anymore,” I mean it’s true; even if I wasn’t even there for the “og times.” I think if we all want to do it for the “scene” then should definitely get more involved.
                              Like we all should be as excited as if it was still the “good times” because if you were to look at all the memories people rave about, majority of it was “when it was only like 10 of us and we stayed passed midnight and it was so cold we all got in our cars but kept talking out our windows, or “our buddies car broke down midway so we got all together and took turns fixing it” or it can go on.
                              I mean we all can agree everyone is even more divided into smaller groups or “cliques”, or some people hang out with non e30 people etc., but if everyone gets involved, even with promoting, or one guy brings a gopro and videotapes the footage for next meet up, it can last awhile. Regardless how this one came out, I feel like weather was a major factor out of everything else. If it was perfect and warm the last few times I went, sure people would’ve kept coming. I think I’m rambling at this point but yeah. Life moves us on to bigger things; “I can’t be fixing my car all the time”, but nothing about the e30 has changed. It still brings car enthusiasts together. (ricer, to built not bought, to daddy bought this for me) In the end of it all, it’s still a new year, there is still a chance to do monthly bbqs, monthly caravan/cruises. Bigger meets like bimmerfest, Socal CarBQ, I know I’m missing a lot. Midnight hour got me rambling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I can add anything positive, is to keep spamming all of the local websites and FB pages you know of.
                                It's the only way to keep everyone engaged, if not most likely people forget and don't plan accordingly.
                                I would do it twice a month and would post 3 months in advance on the last month, I kept a list of all the places I had posted and bumped 3 to 4 times a week. It takes a lot of work, which is why I've opted out.i always put all heart into these things when I did them. And at the same time, kept a good relation with sponsors for giveaways and whatnot.

Good luck on the next one, I know it'll get better as time goes on and I would go balls deep helping out, if I didn't really have a life anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X